My Mouth Is a Volcano! by Julia Cook

My Mouth Is a Volcano! (2005)

by Julia Cook

My Mouth is a Volcano is a predictable book. The story is about a young boy, Louis, who cannot control his mouth. He understands that he needs to keep his mouth shut. When he finds something he relates to he just needs to blurt it out. He refers to it as his volcano. It is repetitive because each time Louis is about to blurt out, “Slid down from my head on onto my tongue, my tummy started to rumble and then it started to grumble, my words began to wiggle and then they did the jiggle, my tongue pushed all my very important words into my teeth and my volcano erupted.” Each time when he is punished he then blames his volcano. Then when it is Louis turn to share, eh is interrupted, and he understands what it is like to be interrupted. This story can relate to children because holding in an important story can always be hard to hold in. This story is also beneficial for children to take a look from another person’s point of view. The illustrations are drawn with a cartoon-like fashion. This story could be used in the classroom for children to understand the importance of not blurting out in class. ( )
  JTansom | Nov 30, 2015 |
This is a great children’s picture book that talks about self-control in a fun way. There is a little boy named Louis who has a really hard time keeping his word in his mouth. They just erupt like his mouth is a volcano! His mother tell him that when he has really important words he wants to say he should bite down and not let the words out, then take a deep breath in breath them out. When it is his turn he should take another deep breath to get the words back and then he can share them. There is a lot of repetition of the same phrases so it makes it a very predictable book. It is a great book if there is a lot of interrupting or talking out of turn in the classroom. Teachers could have their students practice this a few times and then if they ever need to make a plan for themselves on how to not talk out of turn, they have this idea as a resource to help them think before acting. The illustrations are brightly colored pictures that possibly use pastels. ( )
  cpaavola | Nov 3, 2015 |
This book is about a young boy, Lewis, who calls his mouth his volcano. When he has something to say, he cannot contain it. His words slip from his head to his tongue and his tongue pushed all the important words out. Lewis gets in trouble, but it was his volcanos fault. Lewis has troubles keeping his thoughts to himself and interrupts others by speaking out when he is not suppose to.
This is a good early reader book to teach lesson about when it is your turn to speak out, and when it is time to let other speak. The illustrations are very creative and help readers feel how Lewis's words just build up and then explored. ( )
  tnelson12 | Oct 15, 2015 |
Louis has no filter on his mouth, he says whatever is on his mind whenever he thinks it. He often interrupts others who are speaking and must learn to be patient and wait.
  arielgramner | Aug 13, 2015 |
Young Reader Reaction: "I am just like Louis!" Our daughter seems to relate to each of Julia Cook's characters ... and gets the message that the scenes play out.

Adult Reader Reaction: Julia Cook clearly taps into the feelings and energy of an impatient child (or adult!). I love how she connects the reader to Louis first, then turns the table on Louis in the journey to a solution.

Pros: Young readers - even patient ones - will relate to Louis. From the way a word leads to new ideas in your head to trying to stay quiet there is something for everyone in this book.

Read our full review and add yours at The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Apr 15, 2015 |
To Blanche, for giving me the gift of her time.
My name is Louis.  People say I erupt a lot.

All of Louis’ thoughts are very important to him. In fact, his thoughts are so important to him that when he has something to say, his words begin to wiggle, and then they do the jiggle, then his tongue pushes all of his important words up against his teeth and he erupts, or interrupts others. His mouth is a volcano! My Mouth Is A Volcano takes an empathetic approach to the habit of interrupting and teaches children a witty technique to capture their rambunctious thoughts and words for expression at an appropriate time. Told from Louis’ perspective, this story provides parents, teachers, and counselors with an entertaining way to teach children the value of respecting others by listening and waiting for their turn to speak.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:45 -0400)

This book teaches children to manage their thoughts and words without interrupting.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,051,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible