Painted From Memories by Barbara Forte Abate

Painted From Memories

by Barbara Forte Abate

142683,257 (4)None

Painted From Memories is a very melancholy read. The main protagonist has had something very traumatic happen in her childhood and she has secreted it away from everyone. She hides it even from the man she desperately loves fearing it will turn him away from her.

Much of the story is written as her reflections and thoughts on things and her musings on the past. This is how we discover what terrible things happened to create the fractured person she is today. Every day she lives she seems to be waiting for something awful to happen.

The house that Cat and her husband Gray live in seem to be a reflection of her emotional state. It is in poor condition and barely holding together. There are secrets in the house that have been left there. You can feel them in the rooms and in the junk that has been left behind by the previous owners.

The author has a way of making you feel what Cat and Gray are feeling. I wanted to keep reading the book just to find out what the secret was that she was keeping from Gray even though I didn’t really like the melancholy feel to the story.

What I didn’t expect were the other secrets that were being kept. It makes a person wonder how a relationship can survive with so many lies, even if they are lies of omission. I wonder what would have happened if the truth had been discovered earlier.

I found the book to be rather long and wordy at times and wanted to skim parts to hurry up and get on with the story. It took me longer than usual to finish Painted From Memories than it normally takes to finish a book of this length as it was not a book I felt compelled to pick up and read.

I gave this book 3 stars out of 5 because of the author’s ability to reach the reader emotionally. Though I did not find this book compelling, I know that there are other readers out there who will.

Thank you to the author for providing a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion is not required. All thoughts are my own.

To read my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/05/book-review-painted-from-me... ( )
  KathrynSvendsen | May 21, 2015 |
As I started this book I wasn’t really sure what to expect. The book is written in such a way you must continue to read. You have multiple story lines throughout that are all intwined. We find Cat, a young scarred woman who has recently married. She has never told her husband of her past for fear he will find her hideous. As a child she watched her parents constantly fight. It culminated in her father killing her mother and then taking his own life. Her younger sister who was only two at the time never spoke again.

Then we have the glimpses into her life after her parent’s death. She and her sister are taken from the orphanage to live with a couple. You get from the short clips of memory that they were treated no better than slaves. All these things she’s kept hidden from her husband Gray. But hers are not the only secrets. Things take a drastic turn when a man named Rance steps up on her porch.

There is so much I could tell you but don’t won’t to. I’ve left out so many things so that you the reader will need to read the book. The book is written with such great emotion that you are Cat as that young child, hiding while her parents fight. I felt Cat’s pain, fear, isolation, and lonliness. This is one of those books where you feel such emotion and want things to turn out well for her. Barbara has once again taken the reader, thrown them into the middle of a situation letting them fend for themselves for a while before throwing them life saver. Well done. ( )
  skstiles612 | Jun 23, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0692209344, Paperback)

She considers telling him the truth—that she isn’t the person he thinks she is—but in the end she doesn’t. To say something is to potentially say everything. And it is simply too late... The emotionally fractured casualty of a hideous childhood tragedy, Catherine has at last found her happy-ever-after in the person of Grayson Barnett, and it is the promise of a freshly polished future that compels her to bury the poisonous trail of her past beneath the purposeful lies and omissions she offers her new husband. But now, with the inherent shame of her traumatic history secreted away and losing hold, Cat finds herself increasingly troubled as Gray falls into an erratic pattern of late night wanderings through the house, painting the bare walls with extravagant murals. And only when the unthinkable happens—a devastating blow which leaves her broken and spiraling—and an unexpected arrival on her doorstep, bearing a cache of impossible revelations—is Cat forced to question whether the man she so desperately loves is in truth a stranger and their beautiful life a gross falsehood constructed upon a foundation of lies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:35 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,720,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible