The Merchant of Venice by William…

The Merchant of Venice (1596)

by William Shakespeare

English (64)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (69)
I read this a few years ago for an Intro to Shakespeare class. It was my favorite play we covered with the exception of The Tempest. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I do recall enjoying it and laughing out loud at several parts. Shakespeare's word play is wonderful.

I also feel that whether you try to read this from an anti-Semitist point of view or choose to view Shylock as a sympathetic character, you will still find a lot of enjoyment in this.

It is also interesting to think about law interpretation and the loop holes in the law and how they still exist today.

Side note: I watched the 2004 version of this with Al Pacino and felt that it stayed very true to the heart of the play. ( )
  AlbinoRhino | Feb 11, 2015 |
A very interesting drama, it is well to watch many different performances to see the many nuances which can be ascribed to this play. From base racism and bigotry, to pathos and compassion. Was Shylock a caricature? Was he greedy and grasping, or was he maligned, persecuted and misunderstood? Lots of food for thought here. ( )
  MrsLee | Dec 30, 2014 |
تاجر البندقية هي إحدى المسرحيات الأشهر للكاتب الإن​جليزي ويليام شكسبير، وقد حظيت بدراسة مستمرة من الن​قاد العالميين، ومعاداة من قبل التوجه الرسمي لليهود​ بسبب شخصية شايلوك اليهودي التاجر المرابي فيها. ​
تقوم حبكة هذه المسرحية حول تاجر شاب من إيطاليا) ي​دعى أنطونيو، ينتظر مراكبه لتأتي إليه بمال، لكنه يح​تاج للمال من أجل صديقه بسانيو الذي يحبه كثيراً لأن​ بسانيو يريد أن يتزوج من بورشيا بنت دوق (بالمونت)ا​لذكية، فيضطر للاقتراض من التاجر المرابي شايلوك الذ​ي يشترط عليه أخذ رطل من لحمه إذا تأخر عن سداد الدي​
بورشيا كانت قد رأت بسانيو الذي زار أباها عندما كا​ن حيا ويتأخر أنطونيو فيطالب شايلوك برطل من اللحم، ​ويجره إلى المحكمة، ويكاد ينجح في قطع رطل من لحمه ل​ولا مرافعة بورشيا التي تنكرت في شكل محامٍ واشترطت ​على اليهودي أن يأخذ رطلا من اللحم دون أن يهدر نقطة​ واحدة من دماء انطونيو والا يسجن فعجز اليهودي وترا​
و في المسرحية خيوط أخرى تتحدث عن عداء المسيحيين ل​ليهود، وعن الحب والثروة، والعزلة، والرغبة في الانت​
أنتجت هذه المسرحية مرات كثيرة، وكان آخر إنتاج لها​ فيلم تاجر البندقية من بطولة آل باتشينو.​ ( )
  Awasha_Albadri | Dec 24, 2014 |
Holds up quite well upon re-reading. Although I'm now too old to play Portia, I still love her. Shylock gets a bad rap, but that's zeitgeist for you. At least Shakespeare tries to give background for him and he's not just pure evil (for no reason). ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
Bassanio needs money to further his suit for the hand of the beautiful Portia, but he has no credit to get a loan; Antonio is a Christian businessman who often lends money, but is currently out of pocket because all his funds are tied up in 5 ships which are at sea bringing home goods which will make him wealthy again. Antonio tells Bassanio to go to the Jew, Shylock, a userer, and borrow the money for three months using Antonio's own good name. He expects the return of one of his ships within two months.

Shylock hates Christians, and Antonio in particular, because they look down on him and treat him badly, and he requires that the return for any non-payment of the loaned sum be "a pound of flesh" from Antonio. Antonio agrees because he's sure his ship will come in.

So begins this wonderful play about property rights, familial duty, love, and friendship. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Aug 24, 2014 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

In sooth, I know not why I am so sad:
It wearies me; you say it wearies you;
But how I caught it, found it, or came by it,
What stuff 'tis made of, whereof it is born,
I am to learn;
And such a want-wit sadness makes of me,
That I have much ado to know myself.
The quality of mercy is not strain'd;
It droppeth, as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath: it is twice blessed;
It blesseth him that gives, and him that takes
When he is best, he is a little worse than a man; and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.
My meaning in saying he is a good man, is to have you understand me that he is sufficient.
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
It is a wise father that knows his own child.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477561, Mass Market Paperback)

Folger Shakespeare Library

The world's leading center for Shakespeare studies

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Alexander Leggatt

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:42 -0400)

Unique features include an extensive overview of Shakespeare's life, world, and theater by the general editor of Signet Classic Shakespeare series, plus a special introduction to the play by the editor Sylvan Barnet, Tufts University. Another feature of this series includes dramatic criticism from the past and present: Commentaries by Nicholas Rowe, William Hazlitt, Edgar Elmer Stoll, Linda Bamber, Alexander Leggart, and Robert Smallwood. Special introduction by Kenneth Myrick, Tufts University.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714626, 0141013958

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,658,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible