The Rosie effect : a novel by Graeme C.…

The Rosie effect : a novel (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Graeme C. Simsion

Member:pegmcdaniel
Title:The Rosie effect : a novel
Authors:Graeme C. Simsion
Info:New York : Simon & Schuster, 2015.
Tags:Marriage, pregnancy, family

The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion (2014)

English (111)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (115)
I loved the first book and was very excited that there would be this follow up (and the movie!)

Don is awkward but hilarious and he would do anything for Rosie and his friends.

When Don learns that Rosie is pregnant he does not react the right way. He runs out of the apartment and has a little freak out.

He feels bad almost immediately and starts a new project, basically the pregnancy project. He wants to make sure both him and Rosie are doing things right. He gets on her nerves very quickly with all of his suggestions and he pretty hilariously gets himself into some trouble.

I have to say that Rosie got on my nerves in this book. I liked her way better in the first book. Don was just trying to do his best to care for her and the pregnancy. It seemed like everything he did, or didn't do, got on her nerves. He was either paying too much attention or not enough. And society doesn't make it easy on Don in his pursuit of how to be a good partner to Rosie.

Don was just being Don. The loveably awkward guy that Rosie feel in love with and now that a baby is on its way, Don being Don doesn't seem good enough anymore.

I loved the book but sometimes Rosie really frustrates me in this book.

I loved the addition of some new buddies for Don and a softer side to his old buddy Gene. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
For me the magic of The Rosie Project was Don's narration. I find his perspective amusing and I laughed out loud frequently. Since Don's voice was essentially the same in the sequel, I enjoyed The Rosie Effect just as much and again laughed out loud several times. Rosie was a bit annoying in this book, but it didn't prevent me from enjoying it. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
repeating patterns

I was definitely more annoyed with this book than I was with the first one, but I also had a far greater emotional investment in this book.

repeating patterns

'I hate you, Rosie, I hate you, Rosie, I hate you, Rosie' is what I was saying OUT LOUD while I was finishing the book in the break room at work.

repeating patterns

"Humans should be permanently under development." ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I have enjoyed this second look at Don and Rosie, and how they handle pregnancy. Just like in the first book, Don hilariously gets into regular trouble as he completely mishandles social situations. The meat of the book however is dealing with Don and Rosie's relationship, and Rosie is the one who is self-centered, ignorant and irrational. Despite Don's best efforts and his friends' honest help, the relationship crumbles. I wanted to shake Rosie, "you don't know what you have, you idiot!"

Don's antiques and point of view is of course less fresh in the second book, but he is always ready to improve himself, and grows a lot. The plot however was quite haphazard, and many events seemed too contrived, especially the ending. It is just a bit too odd that Rosie never enters Don's bathroom until the end, and the Don happens to get a project where they happen to capture footage of him with a baby that just happens to be shown at an event where Rosie just happens to be there because her plane just happened to be turned around. I still enjoyed it, but this is more of a 3.5 stars. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I didn't care for "The Rosie Project," but I thought I'd give the sequel a try. Nope. 32 pages - that was all I could handle. It's undoubtedly a defect in my character, but I just can't deal with somebody like Don who apparently needs to lead his life the way he does. It makes me very impatient, and therefore I don't want to read about it. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Oct 20, 2018 |
To Anne
Orange juice was not scheduled for Fridays.

Product Description

Don Tillman and Rosie Jarman are back. If you were swept away by Graeme Simsion’s international smash hit The Rosie Project, you will love The Rosie Effect.

The Wife Project is complete, and Don and Rosie are happily married and living in New York. But they’re about to face a new challenge.

Rosie is pregnant.

Don sets about learning the protocols of becoming a father, but his unusual research style gets him into trouble with the law. Fortunately his best friend Gene is on hand to offer advice: he’s left Claudia and moved in with Don and Rosie.

As Don tries to schedule time for pregnancy research, getting Gene and Claudia back together, servicing the industrial refrigeration unit that occupies half his apartment, helping Dave the Baseball Fan save his business and staying on the right side of Lydia the social worker, he almost misses the biggest problem of all: he might lose Rosie when she needs him most.

Get ready to fall in love all over again.

"The Wife Project is complete, and Don and Rosie are happily married and living in New York. But they're about to face a new challenge because--surprise--Rosie is pregnant. Don sets about learning the protocols of becoming a father, but his unusual research style gets him into trouble with the law. Fortunately his best friend Gene is on hand to offer advice: he's left Claudia and moved in with Don and Rosie. As Don tries to schedule time for pregnancy research, getting Gene and Claudia to reconcile, servicing the industrial refrigeration unit that occupies half his apartment, helping Dave the Baseball Fan save his business, and staying on the right side of Lydia the social worker, he almost misses the biggest problem of all: he might lose Rosie when she needs him the most"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,699,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible