The Shadow Academy by Adrian Cole

The Shadow Academy

by Adrian Cole

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It is difficult today, with the islands almost completely covered in forest, when even moors and uplands are succumbing to the spread of the trees, to visualise the terrain as it must have once existed.

The Shadow Academy, set in a sparsely populated Grand Britannia, in which fortress cities on the coast such as Petra Dumniorum in the West Country guard against an attack from mainland Evropa that never comes, and the rulers from Central Authority in Londonborough ban historical research, so no-one really knows what did happen in the Plague Wars that devastated the world over a century ago. The plot is driven by a secret society's desire to study the past and free the country from the Central Authority's rule, and the Central Authority's attempts to crush dissent and thwart its enemies.

It has an interesting premise, although I could have done without the weak love triangle sub-plot, and I would have liked to know a little more about the wider world. Grand Britannia has reverted to forest with the population in widely separated towns, but has there really been no contact at all with Evropa since the Plague Wars? Erish pirates from Ireland make an appearance in the story, so surely there would have been some contact with French traders or fishermen at least. I would be interested in reading a prequel set at the time of the Plague Wars now that I have some idea about what happened to devastate the world and decimate its population. ( )
  isabelx | Nov 21, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
good descriptive scenes and place setting but just too slow to get into. unfortunately i have not found it engaging although the quality of the writing is good it just didn't draw me in. possibly a good holiday book that you can just dip in and out of. ( )
  dragonpixi | Nov 4, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a well written book. But I found myself wanting more of the back story. It was hard to gauge what brought all of them to that place and times and the events surrounding them without a little more information. I also would have liked more information on the characters. It was difficult to learn who they were or to care about them without knowing more about them. As I said, well written. I just wanted more information. But i did enjoy the read nonetheless. Good for a rainy day read. ( )
  deemelody | Oct 4, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Some parts of the book I enjoyed, others not so much. Slow starting and confusing at times. If you persist the book definently improves but some may find it hard to get past the first parts.

I also had problems with reading the book as in the pdf format Adobe Digitial Reader refused to add it (password protected apparently) so could not read it on my e-book device. ( )
  Cfraser | Sep 25, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free uncorrected proof advance reading copy (ARC) in a PDF format through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer Program.

I enjoy the storyline of this book and I like some of the characters. Unfortunately, the way the points of view merge, certain facts seem repetitive, when I would rather know other facts. Thankfully, this improves as the story goes on. This book is a bit difficult to get into, but is interesting. I prefer one or two of the points of view, but there are quite a few going on at the same time. There are a lot of details. ( )
  TeenLibrarian12 | Sep 19, 2014 |
To my Jude

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Shadow Academy by Adrian Cole was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,316,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible