Spell or High Water by Scott Meyer

Spell or High Water

by Scott Meyer

Series: Magic 2.0 (2)

The first one I only sort of liked because it had some whizbang milieu with hacking a “uber-file” so you can cast magic spells, like flying and fireballs.

But this one is much more boring. All the whizbang stuff has been explained so what else is there? Well, the last book was rather light on female characters, so let’s head over to Atlantis, where all the women who discovered magic are. No, they don’t live anywhere else. They’d rather stay together. And they all get along. And have two types of husbands–one for companionship and one for sex. Good times. I wonder what gender the author was.

It’s trying to be some kind of murder mystery, but that’s hard when A) everyone is immortal B) everyone’s an omnipotent magician C) you’ve got time travel too, which blasts anything suspenseful out of the plot because now all things are possible. What ends up happening is a whole bunch of dull padding that’s supposed to be budding romance. But it’s as passionate as a trackball mouse. I don’t think the author is very good at writing either female characters or interesting characters. In any case, I don’t think I’m going to read the third one. ( )
  theWallflower | Feb 14, 2019 |
Nice follow-up. If you liked the first part of the series, you should enjoy this one as much.

Off to read the third part! ( )
  chaghi | Oct 15, 2018 |
DNF ( )
  sitting_duck | Mar 22, 2018 |
Just as fun as the first book and full of more surprises. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
This wasn't as good as the first one, but still a decent entry. I am looking forward to the third one, but with a more reserved anticipation. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |

Scott Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a normal evening at the inn called The Rotted Stump.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,481,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible