Nancy Knows by Cybele Young

Nancy Knows

by Cybele Young

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Nancy Knows is a fun little story about a young elephant that has forgotten something. She tries very hard to remember what she has forgotten and ends up thinking about everything else. It's not until Nancy clams her mind that she is able to remember what she forgot.

The sketch outline of Nancy works well giving the reader an opportunity to "see" what are all the things that Nancy is think about instead of what she has forgotten. the bright colours of the items is a great contrast for the grey sketch of the elephant. It reminds me of how I as a child wouldn't be able to remember anything until I tired to stop thinking too hard.

Overall a really enjoyable read!
  cdnbookworm | Jul 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The illustrations are a little more abstract than I prefer for a seek and find type board book for the youngest reader. My 2 year old enjoyed talking about the items in Nancy the Elephants body as she struggles to remember what she knows but has not chosen to read it again. The illustrations combine pencil drawings with photographs of found objects in a collage format. The board book may make a fun gift for an expecting artist. ( )
  StefanieGeeks | Jun 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This simple book for preschoolers really grew on me.

The story is straightforward, a forgetful elephant trying to organize her jumbled thoughts. Each time I revisited the book it provoked different thoughts. First, I liked how the beginning pages were the elephant with a chaotic mess in her head- all ages can relate, no? As the elephant calms down and sorts out her thoughts, the reader is introduced to different ways of classifying ( size, shape, colour, sound, etc). Eventually the little elephant finds the solution has been with her all along. It took me a while to notice that the illustrations were actually beautiful paper sculptures.

There are lots of conversation pieces on every page, but the book is so calm and uncomplicated. Lovely to revisit over and over.

I presented this book with a little crocheted elephant to a beloved little friend ( )
  HannahJo | May 9, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A sorting story which strongest point is the beautiful pictures of sculptures made with Japanese paper. Nancy knows she is forgetting something, and while she tries to remember she sorts in her mind things by color, shape, type, function, etc.

I received this copy via LibraryThing Early Reviewers in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Sanlema | Apr 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Stunning illustrations and poetic delivery outpace a slight plot in this artistic exploration of memory, categorization, and the senses. A careful observer will see hints of Nancy's eventual epiphany tucked within her jumbled thoughts. Children will love to pour over the intricate paper sculptures contained within Nancy's spare black outline. ( )
  kleahey | Apr 24, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Cybele Young's book Nancy Knows is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Cybele Young's book Nancy Knows was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible