The BFG by Roald Dahl

The BFG (1982)

by Roald Dahl

10,123199282 (4.15)163
    Matilda by Roald Dahl (Morteana)
    Mr Stink by David Walliams (bookel)
    The Dream Collector by Troon Harrison (bookel)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work for kids and adults that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (DaraBrooke)

English (190)  Dutch (4)  French (1)  All languages (195)
I read this book in elementary school, and I loved it. It's been many years, but the book has stuck with me. Remembering portions of the book still brings a smile to my face. ( )
  HSContino | May 20, 2016 |
I did very much enjoy the play of language in this book. Reminded me of Pogo and his peaner bristol. A cute tale. I'm not a big fan of this illustrator. Not a favorite book, but I was glad to know what everyone is talking about. ( )
  njcur | May 17, 2016 |
Roald Dahl is always best in creating new words where we actually don't find a need to find a word...

BFG is about a little orphan girl Sophie and BFG ( a giant who's children friendly) and how they saved the world by other strange-named-human-eating-dirty-nasty-giants.
This story had all the crazy ideas one can never think of. I also loved the illustrations. ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading this story. I read this when I was a kid and enjoyed it then and liked it just as much reading it now. I liked it because of the conflict in the plot, descriptive language and the point of view. The girl was swept away and helped the BFG give out good dreams to children and fight off the bad and powerful giants. Throughout the story, there was descriptive language/ made up language using words like "gobblefunk" "buckswashling" and "hopscotchy." Using these words engages the reader and also makes the story funny to read. Readers can imagine the dialect of the Giants by the use of these words. The point of view is my favorite part of the story because at the end you find out that the BFG is writing stories about the adventures he has gone on and this is one of his stories. It changes the entire point of view that was once believed throughout the story. The message in this story is to not judge a book by its cover because Sophie was once terrified of the BFG because he was a giant but in reality he was just trying to help and do good for children. ( )
  amyadams19 | Apr 17, 2016 |
A girl named Sophie encounters the Big Friendly Giant. ( )
  lindy_brooke | Apr 12, 2016 |
The BFG captures the imagination of every adult and child with an imagination worth capturing. Wonderfully written, witty, courageous, understated and with such a strong morality, this book is a treaure for young and old readers alike. We have been blessed with the gift of language and writers like Roald Dahl allow themselves to roll in the hay with letters and words. The result is a story with a big heart and a dancing theme.
added by bogs | editNew York Times, bogs (Oct 8, 2009)

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dahl, Tor EdvinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meek, ElinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Natasha, RichardsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Olivia (20th April 1955 - 17th November 1962)
Sophie couldn't sleep.
A brilliant moonbeam was slanting through a gap in the curtains. It was shining right onto her pillow.

From: Scholastic.com

"Well, first of all," said the BFG, "human beans is not really believing in giants, is they? Human beans is not thinking we exist." Sophie discovers that giants not only exist, but that there are a great many of them who like to guzzle and swallomp nice little chiddlers. But not the Big Friendly Giant. He and Sophie cook up an ingenious plot to free the world of troggle-humping — forever.

The BFG — Big Friendly Giant — is no ordinary bone-crushing giant: he is far too nice. How he and his tiny friend, Sophie, conspire to put an end to the loathsome activities of the other Giants is marvelously told by a writer and an artist who "are uncanny in their understanding of what children like to read and see". — The New York Times Book Review.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410381, Paperback)

Evidently not even Roald Dahl could resist the acronym craze of the early eighties. BFG? Bellowing ferret-faced golfer? Backstabbing fairy godmother? Oh, oh ... Big Friendly Giant! This BFG doesn't seem all that F at first as he creeps down a London street, snatches little Sophie out of her bed, and bounds away with her to giant land. And he's not really all that B when compared with his evil, carnivorous brethren, who bully him for being such an oddball runt. After all, he eats only disgusting snozzcumbers, and while the other Gs are snacking on little boys and girls, he's blowing happy dreams in through their windows. What kind of way is that for a G to behave?

The BFG is one of Dahl's most lovable character creations. Whether galloping off with Sophie nestled into the soft skin of his ear to capture dreams as though they were exotic butterflies; speaking his delightful, jumbled, squib-fangled patois; or whizzpopping for the Queen, he leaves an indelible impression of bigheartedness. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

Snatched from her orphanage by a BFG (Big Friendly Giant), who spends his life blowing happy dreams to children, Sophie concocts with him a plan to save the world from nine other man-gobbling cannybull giants.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805919, 0141322624, 0141332166, 014134301X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,834,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible