The BFG by Roald Dahl

The BFG (1982)

by Roald Dahl

Mr Stink by David Walliams (bookel)
    The Dream Collector by Troon Harrison (bookel)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work for kids and adults that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (DaraBrooke)

English (176)  Dutch (4)  French (1)  All languages (181)
I thought this book was an amazing read! I read this book when I was in third grade and was very excited to read it again and see how the comparison went from then to now. I found of course the reading to be extremely more fluent compare to my third grade self. I thought that the pictures were different and unique but very helpful in creating the imagine for the Big Friendly Giant. I found the made up words to be humorous and easy to phonically pronounce. I feel that students reading this will have fun trying to find the meaning of these made up terms like gobble funks and human beans. The bigger picture in this can be to teach reading comprehension skills but used for a fun read as well.
  jbahri1 | Nov 17, 2015 |
I adore just about everything Road Dahl has produced; however, "The BFG" stands out for many reasons. First, the story's message was very endearing. The big friendly giant, or BFG, was never educated and talks in a very unique way. Though hard to understand sometimes, Sophie, the main character, doesn't seem to mind, and is quick to defend him when others criticize it. She looks past this and sees his true character, most notably in his eagerness to help save the "human beans" from the giants that are set out to eat them. She helps others, such as the Queen and other royals, to see this too. Though mainly told from her point of view, I appreciated Dahl's overall use of third person, which I think helped capture the essence of the story and the BFG's true character much more. I loved how he perfectly captured the BFG's special way of talking, which, though quirky, was always easy to read, understand, and sometimes laugh at. It's almost like a game of "Mad Gab" where the words are misspelled in odd ways but always sound about the same as their intentions. It undoubtedly helped capture his personality. I liked the plot twist on how giants can capture, create, and "mix" dreams; I think that it made the story so much more whimsical and heartwarming. Though a chapter book, "The BFG" still has countless illustrations, which helped me visualize the story's events much more easily. Through my reading and research, I also found that the book is being made into a movie in 2016. I can't wait to see if the story's remarkable essence is properly captured in the film version. ( )
  scorco2 | Nov 16, 2015 |
This was another Roald Dahl book that was tons of fun to read. I loved the character of The BFG and how lovable he is. I really enjoyed the way that The BFG exposes how arbitrary many of how societal norms are. The BFG's sayings seem silly to Sofia, but her saying seem just as silly to him, which says something cross cultural understanding and the difficulties that this can bring about. I also really enjoyed the way that The BFG puts dreams into the minds of little kids while they were sleeping, this imagery was very fun. Overall, this was just a fun story that kept me smiling and laughing throughout. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Sep 17, 2015 |
When Sophie sees a giant wandering around during the witching hour, she can't believe her eyes! The BFG kidnaps her and takes her to the land of giants where she learns all kinds of things--including how to save others from the man-eating giants. This is a book that is great fun and there are rumors that it will be made into a movie in 2016. Read it before you see it! ( )
  Nero56 | Sep 12, 2015 |

Loved this one, as expected, because I generally love Dahl. In fact, everyone here loved this book, children and adults. The fixed-up, made-up language/words were great and the story was interesting and funny.

Perhaps more later. ( )
  Industrialstr | Aug 7, 2015 |
The BFG captures the imagination of every adult and child with an imagination worth capturing. Wonderfully written, witty, courageous, understated and with such a strong morality, this book is a treaure for young and old readers alike. We have been blessed with the gift of language and writers like Roald Dahl allow themselves to roll in the hay with letters and words. The result is a story with a big heart and a dancing theme.
added by bogs | editNew York Times, bogs (Oct 8, 2009)

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dahl, Tor EdvinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meek, ElinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Natasha, RichardsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Olivia (20th April 1955 - 17th November 1962)
Sophie couldn't sleep.
A brilliant moonbeam was slanting through a gap in the curtains. It was shining right onto her pillow.

From: Scholastic.com

"Well, first of all," said the BFG, "human beans is not really believing in giants, is they? Human beans is not thinking we exist." Sophie discovers that giants not only exist, but that there are a great many of them who like to guzzle and swallomp nice little chiddlers. But not the Big Friendly Giant. He and Sophie cook up an ingenious plot to free the world of troggle-humping — forever.

The BFG — Big Friendly Giant — is no ordinary bone-crushing giant: he is far too nice. How he and his tiny friend, Sophie, conspire to put an end to the loathsome activities of the other Giants is marvelously told by a writer and an artist who "are uncanny in their understanding of what children like to read and see". — The New York Times Book Review.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410381, Paperback)

Evidently not even Roald Dahl could resist the acronym craze of the early eighties. BFG? Bellowing ferret-faced golfer? Backstabbing fairy godmother? Oh, oh ... Big Friendly Giant! This BFG doesn't seem all that F at first as he creeps down a London street, snatches little Sophie out of her bed, and bounds away with her to giant land. And he's not really all that B when compared with his evil, carnivorous brethren, who bully him for being such an oddball runt. After all, he eats only disgusting snozzcumbers, and while the other Gs are snacking on little boys and girls, he's blowing happy dreams in through their windows. What kind of way is that for a G to behave?

The BFG is one of Dahl's most lovable character creations. Whether galloping off with Sophie nestled into the soft skin of his ear to capture dreams as though they were exotic butterflies; speaking his delightful, jumbled, squib-fangled patois; or whizzpopping for the Queen, he leaves an indelible impression of bigheartedness. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

Snatched from her orphanage by a BFG (Big Friendly Giant), who spends his life blowing happy dreams to children, Sophie concocts with him a plan to save the world from nine other man-gobbling cannybull giants.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805919, 0141322624, 0141332166, 014134301X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,877,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible