The BFG by Roald Dahl

The BFG (1982)

by Roald Dahl

Mr Stink by David Walliams (bookel)
    The Dream Collector by Troon Harrison (bookel)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work for kids and adults that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (DaraBrooke)

English (152)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  All languages (156)
This book takes place in a world of giants, where giants roam around and typically love to eat "human beans." All except for the Big Friendly Giant that is, who is actually much smaller than the other giants, but is friendly to humans. Eventually, The BFG and his new human friend, a child named Sophie whom he has abducted in order to keep the existence of giants a secret from people, convince the Queen of England to capture all the other giants, to prevent them from eating any more people. I liked this story for a number of reasons. First of all, it enforces the belief that friends can come from anywhere, in all different shapes and sizes. Another reason I liked it was because of all the invented language present. These made up words are fun to say and try to sound out. The central message of this book is that anyone can change the world, even if it’s just a little girl and the “puniest” giant who has ever lived.
Reading Level: 4-8 ( )
  AdamLarson | Dec 9, 2014 |
I somewhat enjoyed this book. I liked that the main idea of the story was to explain the importance of right and wrong. The big, friendly giant refused to eat the delicious humans despite being bullied to eat them by the other giants. He did what he felt was the right thing to do.
I did not like the inventive language that the author used. I found phrases and words such as "cannybull", "aerioplanes", and "whizzpopper" confusing. I felt the excessive use of these terms detracted from the overall text. ( )
  jessicaedelman | Nov 18, 2014 |
This book was very nice to read. I liked the character of the BFG. He had an interesting sense of right and wrong as compared to the other giants. He didn’t eat the children instead he ate snozzcumbers. Also I liked the vocabulary he used. He called human beings, “human beans.” I thought this added a touch of humor to the story. The plot of the story was wild but extremely fun. I liked how in the end the BFG gets his own giant sized home to live in for doing his good deed of turning in the other giants. I also find it ironic how in the end all the other giants must now eat the snozzcumbers, which they insisted were foul in the beginning. I think the big idea of this book is to always do the right thing. ( )
  StephanieWeiner | Nov 17, 2014 |
I really liked the BFG for a few reasons but overall the story was amazing. I really liked the progression of the story, from the discovery of the giants to the friendship of the main character and the BFG. This development showed real life parallels with making unlikely friends when you don't expect too. I also liked the character development for similar reasons as the first. The real life parallel for Sophie to make a friend with someone she would never have dreamed of is an amazing fact. ( )
  mduval7 | Nov 2, 2014 |
I liked this book because of all of the excitement and the fact that it was hilarious. I wanted to read this book because A) one of my friends did a book buzz on it, and B) before that we were reading a book by the same author. My favorite part of the book was when the giant drinks the frobscottle, a mysterious drink where the bubbles go down instead of going up. ( )
  craig22 | Oct 17, 2014 |
The BFG captures the imagination of every adult and child with an imagination worth capturing. Wonderfully written, witty, courageous, understated and with such a strong morality, this book is a treaure for young and old readers alike. We have been blessed with the gift of language and writers like Roald Dahl allow themselves to roll in the hay with letters and words. The result is a story with a big heart and a dancing theme.
added by bogs | editNew York Times, bogs (Oct 8, 2009)

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meek, ElinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Natasha, RichardsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Olivia (20th April 1955 - 17th November 1962)
Sophie couldn't sleep.
A brilliant moonbeam was slanting through a gap in the curtains. It was shining right onto her pillow.

From: Scholastic.com

"Well, first of all," said the BFG, "human beans is not really believing in giants, is they? Human beans is not thinking we exist." Sophie discovers that giants not only exist, but that there are a great many of them who like to guzzle and swallomp nice little chiddlers. But not the Big Friendly Giant. He and Sophie cook up an ingenious plot to free the world of troggle-humping — forever.

The BFG — Big Friendly Giant — is no ordinary bone-crushing giant: he is far too nice. How he and his tiny friend, Sophie, conspire to put an end to the loathsome activities of the other Giants is marvelously told by a writer and an artist who "are uncanny in their understanding of what children like to read and see". — The New York Times Book Review.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410381, Paperback)

Evidently not even Roald Dahl could resist the acronym craze of the early eighties. BFG? Bellowing ferret-faced golfer? Backstabbing fairy godmother? Oh, oh ... Big Friendly Giant! This BFG doesn't seem all that F at first as he creeps down a London street, snatches little Sophie out of her bed, and bounds away with her to giant land. And he's not really all that B when compared with his evil, carnivorous brethren, who bully him for being such an oddball runt. After all, he eats only disgusting snozzcumbers, and while the other Gs are snacking on little boys and girls, he's blowing happy dreams in through their windows. What kind of way is that for a G to behave?

The BFG is one of Dahl's most lovable character creations. Whether galloping off with Sophie nestled into the soft skin of his ear to capture dreams as though they were exotic butterflies; speaking his delightful, jumbled, squib-fangled patois; or whizzpopping for the Queen, he leaves an indelible impression of bigheartedness. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:50 -0400)

Snatched from her orphanage by a BFG (Big Friendly Giant), who spends his life blowing happy dreams to children, Sophie concocts with him a plan to save the world from nine other man-gobbling cannybull giants.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805919, 0141322624, 0141332166, 014134301X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,386,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible