The BFG by Roald Dahl

The BFG (1982)

by Roald Dahl

Mr Stink by David Walliams (bookel)
    The Dream Collector by Troon Harrison (bookel)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work for kids and adults that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (DaraBrooke)

English (147)  Dutch (4)  French (1)  All languages (152)
Summary:

Sophie, an orphan at an orphanage in London, is out of bed after hours which result in her seeing the BFG( Big Friendly Gigant) from her window. In order to prevent Sophie from telling the world about giants. The BFG takes her to Giant Land with him. There he tells Sophie about the other mean giants that live in Giant land and how they all go around the world each night eating people. He also tells her about his job or hobby, which is capturing dreams in jars. He collects catches nightmares in order to prevent them from ruining children's dreams and blows good dreams into children's bedrooms using his long trumpet.
The BFG and Sophie decide it's time to stop the other giants from killing any more people so they concoct a plan that involves mixing a special dream for the queen of England so that she will believe Sophie and help her capture the other giants. The plan works and the other giants are captured and put in a pit where they have to eat Snozzcumbers for the rest of their lives. The BFG and Sophie where given places to live and many presents from around the world. The book finishes by implying that the BGF is the author of the book.

Review:

I absolutely loved this book. It is so imaginative. You never know what will happen next. The BFG is such a great character for children. He is kind, smart but naive, yet very wise in some respects. He is a character that is lovable. The author does a great jobs in creating a character that children will remember. He almost reminds me of Santa Claus.
I also think this book is great because it will appeal to a wide range of readers. While the heroine in this book is a female boy will be attracted to other things such as the monsters and the BFG's rants and funny way of talking. ( )
  ycinto1 | Sep 17, 2014 |
Dahl's story about a giant who kidnaps a girl. Turns out the giant is a good guy and the girl helps him. It stuck with me because the giant was a clumsy speaker. He would always say- "am I right or am I left?". Fun and easy book to read, worth it. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
I love [a:Roald Dahl|4273|Roald Dahl|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1311554908p2/4273.jpg], and [b:The BFG|6319|The BFG|Roald Dahl|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327872673s/6319.jpg|1249788]--though I never read it when I was a child--has become a favorite of mine through multiple readings with my children. When we realized last week that my youngest son didn't know the BFG story, a hush fell over the family for a few moments. Then one of my other sons ran down to the bookshelf and brought it to me. So it began once more. For wordsmiths it offers a similar gleeful joy in wordplay and neologisms as in [a:Lewis Carroll|8164|Lewis Carroll|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1192735053p2/8164.jpg]'s [b:Alice|176972|The Annotated Alice The Definitive Edition|Lewis Carroll|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1367782378s/176972.jpg|15777985] books, or [a:Edward Eager|131683|Edward Eager|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1238364444p2/131683.jpg]'s classic fantasy stories, or [a:Norton Juster|214|Norton Juster|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1201117378p2/214.jpg]'s [b:The Phantom Tollbooth|378|The Phantom Tollbooth|Norton Juster|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320476717s/378.jpg|1782584]. Dahl creates a world of snozzcumbers, bellypoppers, maidmashers, frobscottle, and, of course, whizzpoppers. It's absurd, but also sweet; the perfect book for bedtime reading with my kids. I do think, however, that if I'd had all daughters instead of all sons, this book would probably still be unknown to me, and there's little chance I'd have read it aloud so often at bedtimes. Huzzah for sons!! ( )
  ethnosax | Aug 8, 2014 |
This book is about The Big Friendly Giant, and his human friend Sophie, who go on a mission to save humans from the mean giants who only want to eat them. Sophie is taken from her bed at an orphanage one night by the BFG, after she sees him walking past her window at night. Together they come up with a plan to stop the bigger giants from eating all the "human-beans". This book is so wonderful for kids, because it takes them to another world when they are reading it or having it read to them. This, along with any other Dahl book will keep any kid mesmerized and never wanting it to end. The story is beautifully written, and the humor is magnificent
  KayleighAdamsRossi | Jul 15, 2014 |
I really liked The BFG when I read it years ago. And I absolutely LOVED listening to the Audible recording by David Walliams. His rendition of The BFG and his peculiar words and thinkingÛÓplus the vile other man-eating giants‰ÛÓcould not have been more splendid. My children (not to mention my wife) were mesmerized by it.

The story is about a plucky orphan, a humane Big Friendly Giant (or more precisely, a Small Friendly Giant because he is half the size of the other giants), and how he uses dreams to free humanity from the scourge of the giants ‰ÛÏthat is guzzling human beans‰Û as the story phrases it. As usual, Roald Dahl‰Ûªs imagination, both in terms of concepts but also the playfulness of the language, combined with the strength of his child heroes and humane sensibility make this a wonderful experience. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
The BFG captures the imagination of every adult and child with an imagination worth capturing. Wonderfully written, witty, courageous, understated and with such a strong morality, this book is a treaure for young and old readers alike. We have been blessed with the gift of language and writers like Roald Dahl allow themselves to roll in the hay with letters and words. The result is a story with a big heart and a dancing theme.
added by bogs | editNew York Times, bogs (Oct 8, 2009)

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meek, ElinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Natasha, RichardsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Olivia (20th April 1955 - 17th November 1962)
Sophie couldn't sleep.
A brilliant moonbeam was slanting through a gap in the curtains. It was shining right onto her pillow.

From: Scholastic.com

"Well, first of all," said the BFG, "human beans is not really believing in giants, is they? Human beans is not thinking we exist." Sophie discovers that giants not only exist, but that there are a great many of them who like to guzzle and swallomp nice little chiddlers. But not the Big Friendly Giant. He and Sophie cook up an ingenious plot to free the world of troggle-humping — forever.

The BFG — Big Friendly Giant — is no ordinary bone-crushing giant: he is far too nice. How he and his tiny friend, Sophie, conspire to put an end to the loathsome activities of the other Giants is marvelously told by a writer and an artist who "are uncanny in their understanding of what children like to read and see". — The New York Times Book Review.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410381, Paperback)

Evidently not even Roald Dahl could resist the acronym craze of the early eighties. BFG? Bellowing ferret-faced golfer? Backstabbing fairy godmother? Oh, oh ... Big Friendly Giant! This BFG doesn't seem all that F at first as he creeps down a London street, snatches little Sophie out of her bed, and bounds away with her to giant land. And he's not really all that B when compared with his evil, carnivorous brethren, who bully him for being such an oddball runt. After all, he eats only disgusting snozzcumbers, and while the other Gs are snacking on little boys and girls, he's blowing happy dreams in through their windows. What kind of way is that for a G to behave?

The BFG is one of Dahl's most lovable character creations. Whether galloping off with Sophie nestled into the soft skin of his ear to capture dreams as though they were exotic butterflies; speaking his delightful, jumbled, squib-fangled patois; or whizzpopping for the Queen, he leaves an indelible impression of bigheartedness. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:50 -0400)

Snatched from her orphanage by a BFG (Big Friendly Giant), who spends his life blowing happy dreams to children, Sophie concocts with him a plan to save the world from nine other man-gobbling cannybull giants.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805919, 0141322624, 0141332166, 014134301X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,818,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible