Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen (2015)

by Victoria Aveyard

2,6501953,205 (3.73)61

English (192)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (195)
“The gods rule us still. They have come down from the stars. And they are no longer kind.”
I think one of my biggest complaints with this story is that it’s so clearly a Dystopian story, but it’s labeled as a fantasy. It has all the tropes and cliches of a YA dystopian circa 2011, and those come with different expectation from me as a reader. Now we can actually get into what this book’s about. Red Queen follows Mare Barrow, a “Red” born into a lower status life because of her red blood that doesn’t afford her, or others like her, the power, or abilities, that the ruling “Silver” have. But Mare discovers she has powers and she begins to fight for a rebellion group who’s looking to overthrow the elite.

Most of this sotry was solidly average to me. Nothing too good, nothing too bad. While there are some fantastic standout quotes in this story, nothing is really memorable overall (hense me rereading this because I remembered nothing). I also didn’t have strong feelings for any character. Maven is probably my favorite, but again no one else really had an impact, or I actively thought they were useless. Red Queen is exactly what I expected it to be - which felt me feeling pretty underwhelmed by the experience. I think I’m still going to continue with the series - or at least reread Glass Sword before deciding if I want want to follow through with the series. ( )
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Aug 6, 2018 |
I'm not that impressed. I was expecting something so much better. The romance made no sense to me. I love a good romance but honestly, I felt nothing for are and her love interests. I just didn't see it. A lot of the story centered around them so I just felt like it wasn't done right at all. It was an interesting plot and I'm sure it'll get better next book but with that romance filling up so much space and me not feeling anything - I'm not going to be continuing this series. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
Fantasy/Adolescents - In a world divided by blood--those with common, Red blood serve the Silver-blooded elite, who are gifted with superhuman abilities--seventeen-year-old Mare, a Red, discovers she has an ability of her own. To cover up this impossibility, the king forces her to play the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. But Mare risks everything and uses her new position to help the Scarlet Guard--a growing Red rebellion--even as her heart tugs her in an impossible direction. King Tiberias, Queen Elara, Prince Cal, Prince Maven. Scholar Mareena sister of Cal's mom Coriane. Maven betrays Mare ( )
  cay250 | Jul 5, 2018 |
I picked this one up because of all the hype I've been seeing about it and while I didn't love it as much as others have, I did enjoy it enough to want to continue with the series. Some of the plot is predictable but I was happy to see that I didn't catch all the twists and one surprised me near the end. 4🌟 ( )
  ChelleBearss | Jun 25, 2018 |
4.5 STARS
I really enjoyed this book, however, it definitely reminded me of [b:The Selection|10507293|The Selection (The Selection, #1)|Kiera Cass|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1322103400s/10507293.jpg|15413183] in many ways. Like as in her name is Mare ('Mer, am I right?) and she's poor etc. Also, one of the main gentlemen is named Maven (Maxon, anyone?) and he's what? You guessed it: a prince. But, I loved The Selection Series. Therefore, I really enjoyed this book and I'm sure I'll end up enjoying the entire series.

What would I not love about a dystopian/paranormal caste system? Give me a good dose of that and add in some romance/magic/angst=winner. In all seriousness, I think that Victoria Aveyard did a wonderful job with this book. I was rooting for Cal, then Maven, then Kilorn for goodness sakes. I was rooting for Mare and the Guard. I definitely did not expect the ending. I'm so ready for [b:Glass Sword|23174274|Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)|Victoria Aveyard|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1436460934s/23174274.jpg|42720997] it's not even funny. I'm almost happy that I waited this long to read this book due to the fact that the sequel comes out in nearly three weeks.

Would I recommend this book? Absolutely! ( )
  itswawawhitney | Jun 19, 2018 |
To Mom, Dad, and Morgan, who wanted to know what happened next, even when I didn't.
I hate First Friday.

Mare Barrow's world is divided by blood—those with red and those with silver. Mare and her family are lowly Reds, destined to serve the Silver elite whose supernatural abilities make them nearly gods. Mare steals what she can to help her family survive, but when her best friend is conscripted into the army she gambles everything to win his freedom. A twist of fate leads her to the royal palace itself, where, in front of the king and all his nobles, she discovers a power of her own—an ability she didn't know she had. Except . . . her blood is Red.

To hide this impossibility, the king forces her into the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. As Mare is drawn further into the Silver world, she risks her new position to aid the Scarlet Guard—the leaders of a Red rebellion. Her actions put into motion a deadly and violent dance, pitting prince against prince—and Mare against her own heart.

From debut author Victoria Aveyard comes a lush, vivid fantasy series where loyalty and desire can tear you apart and the only certainty is betrayal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:55 -0400)

In a world divided by blood--those with common, Red blood serve the Silver-blooded elite, who are gifted with superhuman abilities--seventeen-year-old Mare, a Red, discovers she has an ability of her own. To cover up this impossibility, the king forces her to play the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. But Mare risks everything and uses her new position to help the Scarlet Guard --a growing Red rebellion--even as her heart tugs her in an impossible direction.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,066,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible