Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen (2015)

by Victoria Aveyard

English (227)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (232)
If you're a fan of The Hunger Games or Divergent, read this book right now. Stop what you're doing and READ. Absolutely unputdownable.
  nicoleolea | Jun 12, 2019 |
I flew through this book. It was very enjoyable reading, and I wanted to know what would happen next. I found myself rooting for Mare and Maven to get together, and it was fun watching her feelings for him grow. I felt this book did have some similarities to [b:Cinder|11235712|Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)|Marissa Meyer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388186881s/11235712.jpg|15545385], but I liked it much more. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Stop me if you've heard this before.

So there's this girl who lives in this not-so-distant-but-kinda-distant dystopian future where humanity is divided between the have's and have-not's on kinda ridiculous grounds. Homegirl has a terrible name. Her family is basically destitute, so she has to resort to illegal activities to keep them alive -- illegal activities that just so happen to give her a very convenient and useful skill set. Despite taking place in the future, technology is pretty 21st century: television, cars, nonspecific flying vehicles, and cameras. Cameras everywhere. Just all over the place. Also, there's a rebellion that thinks she'd make a great public face for the revolt. And at one point, a dome gets struck by lightning and breaks apart. And people fight in arenas, sometimes to the death, while everyone watches.

No, this isn't Hunger Games. This is Red Queen. And it is horrible.

I'm trying to imagine the author pitching this: "So you know the Hunger Games series? Ok, so Hunger Games but with royalty. And instead of a love triangle, there's a love square. Isn't that even better?"

Good lord.

I will give Red Queen this. It was incredibly entertaining for the first 100 pages, much in the way terrible B movies are entertaining. Then it stopped being entertaining and was just bad. The last fifty pages was such a slog. The writing is horrible. The characters are awful. The whole thing feels very cheap. I keep imagining one of those super low-budget fantasy TV series where the royal court has ten people in it because they can't afford to hire more actors. Except this is a book, so there isn't a budget and therefore no excuse.

If you need me, I'll be pouring bleach in my ear in an attempt to wipe the memories of reading this book. ( )
1 vote miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Really enjoyed it. Has a lot of the fantasy YA tropes but I loved it anyways. Reminded me a little bit of the Shatter Me series which I enjoyed very much too ( )
  Velarie | May 7, 2019 |
A mix between The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Mystic City by Theo Lawrence...

I truly believe that this series will be the next craze. I haven't heard anything about a movie yet, but I will be waiting impatiently to hear those magic words. It definitely deserves it! The book was fast paced and all consuming. The Author transports us to a unique world and paints vivid pictures in our mind. It's almost as if the words are crawling off the pages right in front of our eyes. The plot wasn't always pretty, but the ugly is what created a magnificent story.

Red Queen was one of those books that just sucks you in from page one. I found myself addicted to the words and struggling with closing the book at a normal hour. I craved the ending and holy crap! I never expected such a huge plot twist. Can you say palm on head, jaw on the floor reaction? It was an epic betrayal and a total mind blower. I was mad, but it made the story that much better

Overall, I recommend this book to readers of all ages. I applaud the Author and desperately beg for the next book.
  ReadersCandyb | Apr 25, 2019 |
To Mom, Dad, and Morgan, who wanted to know what happened next, even when I didn't.
I hate First Friday.

Mare Barrow's world is divided by blood—those with red and those with silver. Mare and her family are lowly Reds, destined to serve the Silver elite whose supernatural abilities make them nearly gods. Mare steals what she can to help her family survive, but when her best friend is conscripted into the army she gambles everything to win his freedom. A twist of fate leads her to the royal palace itself, where, in front of the king and all his nobles, she discovers a power of her own—an ability she didn't know she had. Except . . . her blood is Red.

To hide this impossibility, the king forces her into the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. As Mare is drawn further into the Silver world, she risks her new position to aid the Scarlet Guard—the leaders of a Red rebellion. Her actions put into motion a deadly and violent dance, pitting prince against prince—and Mare against her own heart.

From debut author Victoria Aveyard comes a lush, vivid fantasy series where loyalty and desire can tear you apart and the only certainty is betrayal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:55 -0400)

In a world divided by blood--those with common, Red blood serve the Silver-blooded elite, who are gifted with superhuman abilities--seventeen-year-old Mare, a Red, discovers she has an ability of her own. To cover up this impossibility, the king forces her to play the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. But Mare risks everything and uses her new position to help the Scarlet Guard --a growing Red rebellion--even as her heart tugs her in an impossible direction.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,607,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible