The Country of Ice Cream Star

The Country of Ice Cream Star (2014)

Member:Twink
Title:The Country of Ice Cream Star
Authors:
Info:
Rating:*****

The Country of Ice Cream Star by Sandra Newman (2014)

I just couldn't. I'm sure that for some readers, the dialect that Newman employs to tell her story enhances the experience, but I just felt like I was plodding through. If this novel had caught me on another day, I might have felt differently. I may go back and give it another try and focus on the lyricism and how it pertains to the story, but for now it remains a 2-star book. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
Full disclosure, I gave up on this one about one-third of the way through. The only thing special about it was the language -- which was well-thought-out and consistent, a feat in itself -- but I got tired of that. This isn't a book that needs to be 600 pages long, I don't think; I would have been more impressed at a shorter length. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
This book has me perplexed. Usually I have no trouble reading books with particular dialects or cultural slang. I know that if I stick with it long enough, it'll become more natural and read more fluidly. However, the language in this book was so dense and un-English that after reading over 250 pages, I still had to pause at the end of each chapter to see if I really knew what had happened.

The story itself was compelling enough... I was curious how the story would resolve... would Ice Cream Star prove successful and save her brother, Driver, from Posies (a disease that kills everyone by the age of 20)? The various communities of teenagers are interesting to see how each one evolves differently. I read to the point where Ice Cream arrives in NYC and the Catholic community with the cult of Mary tries to make her into a new "Maria" with disciples. (Un)Fortunately, my library book was due and couldn't be renewed, so I, with some relief, returned it. While the dystopian story is interesting, reading it feels more like a chore in parsing the language. I'm not sure it's worth checking out again. ( )
  asawyer | May 7, 2018 |
When I first started listening to this audio book I couldn't figure out what I had gotten myself into. I both love and hate books like that, because if done wrong, it can become very confusing. This time it was all done right and I fell in love. My only problem was that I couldn't listen to it in one sitting, and I had to keep borrowing it from the library whenever it became available. It is easy to see why the waiting list was always so long. The whole thing felt so real and I became wrapped up in this new world that had been created.

In this future, dystopian America, children live until they turn 20 and then die from an illness. Everyone gets it, there is no avoiding it. Watching this world of children unfold around me was simply incredible and following Ice Cream on her journey was something I thoroughly enjoyed. The characters and the world they lived in were so uniquely written and the audio version of the book brought everything to life in a way that leaves me hearing the voice of Lisa Reneé Pitts whenever I read a passage from the pages. It's that memorable. I am going to make certain I have this audiobook with me the next time I go on a long trip, so I can listen without disturbance from beginning to end. ( )
  mirrani | Jun 24, 2017 |
Without going into it too much, this book is long. I mean its only 640 pages long but it felt like forever.

Most reviewers mention the language in the book which I found quite annoying to begin with, however eventually I got used to it and read it that way, with easy understanding of what the words meant. It was enough to get into, the story itself is quite fascinating and I was rooting for Ice Cream star hoping that she would get the cure for her Sengles. But... I felt that it just went on and on forever. I felt that It could have been shorter and neatly wrapped up with 440 pages.

And the ending, it kind of just ended, I was looking at the rest of the book thinking, how is this gonna be wrapped up in these few pages?! Maybe there'll be a sequel who knows? And on that note, I'm glad I finished it. I was willing it to end and I don't want to write anymore about it. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Apr 28, 2017 |
Speculative fiction will never save the world, but its ability to posit future scenarios has given it an unprecedented urgency. Those who complain that "tomorrow is so yesterday" would do well to read The Country of Ice Cream Star and consider next week.
added by ozzer | editThe Guardian, Liz Jensen (Jun 25, 2014)

Sandra Newmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chong, Suet YeeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Helen Trickett
My name be Ice Cream Fifteen Star.

My name be Ice Cream Fifteen Star and this be the tale of how I bring the cure to all the Nighted States, save every poory children, short for life. Is how a city die for selfish love, and rise from this same smallness. Be how the new America begin, in wars against all hope – a country with no power in a world that hate its life. So been the faith I sworn, and it ain’t evils in no world nor cruelties in no red hell can change the vally heart of Ice Cream Star.

In the ruins of a future America, fifteen-year-old Ice Cream Star and her people survive by scavenging in the detritus of an abandoned civilization. Theirs is a world of children – by the time they reach twenty, each of them will die from a disease they call posies.

When her brother sickens, Ice Cream sets out on the trail of a cure, led by a stranger whose intentions remain unclear. It’s a quest that will lead her to love and heartbreak, to captivity and to a nation’s throne, and ultimately into a war that threatens to doom everyone she loves.

In the aftermath of a devastating plague, a fearless young heroine embarks on a dangerous and surprising journey to save her world in this dystopian thriller, told in bold and fierce language. In the ruins of a future America, fifteen-year-old Ice Cream Star and her nomadic tribe live off of the detritus of a crumbled civilization. Theirs is a world of children; before reaching the age of twenty, they all die of a mysterious disease they call Posies-- a plague that has killed for generations. There is no medicine, no treatment; only the mysterious rumor of a cure. When her brother begins showing signs of the disease, Ice Cream Star sets off on a bold journey to find this cure. Led by a stranger, a captured prisoner named Pasha who becomes her devoted protector and friend, Ice Cream Star plunges into the unknown, risking her freedom and ultimately her life. Traveling hundreds of miles across treacherous, unfamiliar territory, she will experience love, heartbreak, cruelty, terror, and betrayal, fighting with her whole heart and soul to protect the only world she has ever known.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,681,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible