The Curious Case of the Werewolf That…

The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't, the Mummy That Was, and the… (2013)

by Gail Carriger

First "book" of the year is actually a short story, but Gail is hosting a Parasolverse readalong leading up to the release of Reticence this summer, and the first story in the reading list is this short story about Alexia Tarabotti's father, Alessandro. It's a very fast read, and a much too short introduction to Alessandro Tarabotti, but Carriger manages to drop several clues about plot points that eventually show up in all three of her main series. ( )
  tapestry100 | Jan 2, 2019 |
Alexia's father was kind of a jerk and apparently I don't enjoy reading about him. This short didn't have the charm of the rest of the series, imo. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Interesting backstory case about Alexia's father, great for giving an idea of what he was like, but I missed Alexia and her banter. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn’t
Parasol Protectorate, Book .5

I Picked Up This Book Because: I wanted to finish up the series and I’ve had this one waiting around for quite some time.

The Characters:

Alessandro Tarabotti: I remember he is Alexia father and a curse breaker.
Georgia Worthington

The Story:

As I said previously it has been so long since I’ve read the Parasol Protectorate series that I don’t really remember the significance of this story. I know Alessandro is Alexia’s father, is Leticia her mother? And Floote is here though I can’t remember his relationship to Alexia either. Basically this just left me with a bunch of questions. I also had a reminder of how much I like Ms Carriger’s prose.

The Random Thoughts:

3 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 31, 2017 |
This was a nice addition to the Parasol Protectorate. I would be delighted to read more of Alexander Tarabotti, too. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Artistic-WhispersDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Venters, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my Readers:
"Yoo-hoo!"
Alessandro Tarabotti's forehead crinkled under his gray top hat.
"First published in The Book of the Dead, edited by Jared Shurin, published by Jurrasic London, 2013" Copyright material

A short tale of mummies, werewolves, and well preserved felines set in the world of the Parasol Protectorate.
Alessandro Tarabotti and his valet, Floote, are on a mission in Egypt when they encounter visiting
tourists and things go all pie shaped. What is his real mission and will his Aunt Archangelica approve of his treatment of her cat?

In this short story, New York Times Bestselling Author Gail Carriger uses her comedic voice to delve into the history of one of her most beloved characters. If you have ever wondered about Alexia's father, this will give you a glimpse into his adventures and character. This story was first published in The Book of the Dead, a Jurassic London anthology. 8,300 words.

Takes place in 1841.

[retrieved 4/1/2015 from Amazon.com]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,654,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible