Playing Big: Find Your Voice, Your Mission,…

Playing Big: Find Your Voice, Your Mission, Your Message

by Tara Mohr

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Playing Big had a lot of great information in it...too much information!
It took me forever to read this book because I couldn't stay focused.

This is a book about the great idea of a step by step plan of a woman's
rethinking of her role and "taking the plunge" in overcoming all the
"stops" society has placed on women's roles in corporate society.

Many great observations and re-training one's thinking pattern are
presented. A woman needs to value her own expertise and ideas. There
is just too much detail in this self-help book. One tends to get side-tracked
by allowing her mind to wander.

Tara Mohr appears to have very formidable seminars but to have them
successfully impact a reader, she needs to be less detailed and more
simply to the point.

The Title and Book cover are appealing and truly impressive.
* I won this book, but this review is my honest opinion. ( )
  LAWonder10 | Aug 4, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The subtitle for this book promises that it will help you find your voice, your mission, and your message. It's a very thought-provoking text that ranges widely, discussing fear, people pleasing, subtle speech habits, hiding and how to turn from these problematic behaviors to self-promotion. The author is a life coach, who is clearly distressed by the patterns she sees in women's inability to move forward. I recommend it for women who feel themselves held back by self-destructive, self-deprecating behaviors. ( )
  3wheeledlibrarian | May 30, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through the Early Reviewers program. It's probably not a book I would normally read. About halfway through, I was thinking i would give it one or two stars. However, later on, I did find a couple chapters helpful. One chapter in particular, "Communicating with Power," had some concrete information I could use.
After finishing this, I realized that at certain points in my life, different pieces of this book would be helpful. So, although it's not a rave review, I do see where this book could be helpful. ( )
  chgstrom | Mar 28, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am sadly very overdue with this review. To be honest, when I received the book for review, the last thing I wanted to do was to pick up another book of advice.

I wish I'd done it earlier. I have ordered multiple copies to share with friends because the book so perfectly describes some of our conversations. Just having recognition that it's not just us that are having these challenges is a relief.

I particularly appreciate the summary at the end of each chapter and the tables that break things down very simply. I know that I won't have time to pull the book out each time I need it, but I can take those pages and pinpoint the challenge (unhooking from praise and criticism and hiding).

Buy this book for yourself--but consider it for a high school or college graduation gift. The more that women can share the message that it is OK to play big, the better off we'll all be. ( )
  buildalife | Feb 15, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. I was looking forward to this book based on the title and description. However, I was really disappointed with it. The author comes off with a "holier than thou" attitude I found very distracting, each chapter begins with her talking about why she is different and better. As for her method, I feel the content, heavy on visualization, would be better delivered in a lecture rather than a book. She does make some interesting and useful points, but the book did not impact me in any way. ( )
  Alie | Jan 2, 2015 |

A "Huffington Post" columnist and women's leadership expert outlines practical skills that women can use to implement positive change, covering such topics as self-esteem and how to overcome sabotaging gender rules of conduct.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tara Mohr's book Playing Big was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,758,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible