Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Rise of the Earth Dragon (2014)

by Tracey West

Series: Dragon Masters (1)

Eight-year-old Drake is snatched up by the King's soldiers and taken to the castle where he is told by the wizard Griffith that he has been chosen to be a Dragon Master like Ana, Rori, and Bo--and his first task will be to discover whether his dragon, Worm, has any special powers.

I loved this book and I love the whole series. This book is about a boy who discovers he is a dragon master, a person who can control dragons. He is then brought to a castle to stay with the other chosen dragon masters where he learns how to control dragons and use their powers for good. ( )
  shannonopdahl | Jan 26, 2020 |
This is a very good series. It has kept my 7 (almost 8 year old) engaged: the reading level is perfect for him, the topics are interesting for him, and it's got the right level of drama. The characters come from diverse backgrounds and there is a little bit of moral ambiguity- going beyond good and evil, and law as the foundation of good rather than vice versa.

We've read the first 9 books, and so far my favorite is Book 8, Roar of the Thunder Dragon. The first 4 books each highlight the four main characters and their dragons, after that almost every book introduces a new dragon and its dragon master (for better or worse, this is sometimes interesting and exciting and sometimes just seems like oh... another). All of the books though have something special. ( )
  kparr | Sep 25, 2019 |
This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line called Branches, which is aimed at newly independent readers. With easy-to-read text, high-interest content, fast-paced plots, and illustrations on every page.
Recommended by Patty Cone,
  PamPopp | Jul 30, 2016 |
Nice introduction to the genre of fantasy. Read about Drake who is taken from his family's farm in England to be taken to the King. He meets 3 other children to discover that he is being trained to be a Dragon Master. Like children around the world, the 4 may not always follow the rules. Drake even starts to question the king's motive. ( )
  Patty6508 | Jul 8, 2016 |
I was so annoyed with the last beginning chapter series I tried (Kingdom of Wrenly) that I didn't feel like ever reading another beginning chapter fantasy again. However, several people suggested this Branches series, "Dragon Masters" and I got back up onto the horse (or dragon, as it may be) and gave it a go.

I really liked it. It's not perfect, it's not exactly what I'm looking for, but it avoids a lot of the flaws I've seen in other beginning chapter fantasies and I think it will be popular.

In the first book, Rise of the Earth Dragon, Drake gets taken from his family's onion farm up to the castle to become a dragon master. He's assigned to an earth dragon, whom he names Worm, and meets the other dragon masters and their dragons. Drake is excited and scared to be a dragon master, especially when the other kids aren't friendly and it becomes apparent that there many secrets; what does King Roland want with the dragons? Why are they a secret?

The second book, Saving the Sun Dragon, continues the story. After the children's adventure in the tunnels, when they are saved by Worm, some of the dark magic they encounter has affected Ana's dragon, Kepri. The children and the wizard who mentors them try to heal her, especially when King Roland threatens to take away Wizard Griffiths, but they are unsuccessful. Only when Drake discovers another secret power of his dragon Worm are they able to heal Kepri - and go on an exciting adventure.

Each of the four children are loosely associated with the nationality of the mythology their dragon is drawn from. Worm and Drake, and the general setting of the story, are Welsh, Rori and her dragon Vulcan are Irish/British, Bo and his dragon Shu are Asian, Ana and her dragon Kepri are Persian maybe? The stories still stick to the European boy as underdog hero, but at least a variety of nationalities and genders are included. I also liked that the stories don't glorify feudalism (or, at least they haven't yet). King Roland isn't the good and wise king of Disneyfied fairy tales and the children and dragons miss their homes and families.

Verdict: There are not a lot of beginning chapter fantasies available and I don't get asked for them often, but I wonder if that's cause and effect; if there were more available (and I promoted them more) would kids ask for them more? Regardless, I think this is the best that I've looked at so far. Tracey West has an engaging writing style and knows what kids will enjoy reading. If you're looking for beginning chapter fantasies, these are a good choice.

Rise of the earth dragon
ISBN: 9780545646239

Saving the sun dragon
ISBN: 9780545646253

Published 2014 by Scholastic; Borrowed from another library in my consortium; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jul 18, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

For Lauren, the girl who loved dragons--and still does --TW
Drake didn't see the king's soldier coming.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,445,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible