The Empty Throne: A Novel (Saxon Tales) by…

The Empty Throne: A Novel (Saxon Tales) (edition 2016)

by Bernard Cornwell (Author)

"My name is Uhtred. I am the son of Uhtred, who was the son of Uhtred . . ." Britain, early tenth century AD: a time of change. There are new raids by the Vikings from Ireland, and turmoil among the Saxons over the leadership of Mercia. A younger generation is taking over. Aethelred, the ruler of Mercia, is dying, leaving no legitimate heir. The West Saxons want their king, but Uhtred has long supported Athelflaed, sister to King Edward of Wessex and widow of Aethelred. Widely loved and respected, Athelflaed has all the makings of a leader--but could Saxon warriors ever accept a woman as their ruler? The stage is set for rivals to fight for the empty throne. Uhtred is still suffering from the wounds he received in battle. To recover his strength he needs to find the sword that caused the injury, but lost amid the battle's blood and mud, how could it be traced and who among the Vikings or Saxons might be holding it? In the end it is one champion, one hero, who will destroy the new Viking threat to Mercia and ultimately decide the fate of England."--Provided by publisher.… (more)
Member:kevinlilley
Title:The Empty Throne: A Novel (Saxon Tales)
Authors:Bernard Cornwell (Author)
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2016), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages

The Empty Throne by Bernard Cornwell

Fin Gall (The Norsemen Saga, #1) by James L. Nelson (caimanjosh)
    caimanjosh: Fans of this book (and any others in his Saxon Tales) will quite enjoy Fin Gall. Both are Viking-era historical fiction with good characterization, a strong sense of historical detail, and are cracking good reads. Fin Gall takes place in Ireland rather than England, so those tired of medieval England might find the setting change refreshing.… (more)

Good Quality Uhtred of Bebbanburg entertainment. Relatively light on research, but good fun. This covers the period when Aethelflaed, the daughter of Alfred took over the reins of the Mercian government. And Uhtred is beginning to think about his legacy. And for the nit-pickers among us...on p.249 there is.a writer's error... ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 5, 2021 |
This starts off all about Uthred, but not our Uthred, Uthred's Uthred! Seriously, this Saxon habit of naming their first born son after themselves can get a bit confusing!

So the story starts with Uthred Snr still recovering from the wound he took at the end of 'The Pagan Lord' and his son Uthred Jnr is leading his war band for the time being. From there on it is all about outwitting those who want to take the crown on Mercia and to make sure Aethelflaed rises to rule. Though for some reason, her personality has completely changed and she's a bit of a cow to be honest now!

Uthred(Snr) also has to try and recover and that is going to involve a bit of an adventure, but luckily he has Finan, Uthred(Jnr), Sithric and Osferth(sometimes) to lend him a hand and sword.

Also, do not worry, he's still sowing his oats so to speak, he might be Aethelflaed's bit on the side with his own woman - Sigunn, who doesn't really get a look in this time but he's got a new lover as well. This man really doesn't know the meaning of fidelity!

The other focus is his relationship with his daughter Stiorra and I feel that it a theme that's going to run and run from now on.

I've enjoyed all eight of the books so far but this one really flowed well and had Uthred back to his irascible best! ( )
  GWReviewDabbler | Aug 8, 2020 |
Bernard Cornwell brings alive the England in birthing with an irreverent, raucous Saxon who would prefer to be a Dane but is tied by his honor to King Alfred.
  rodweston | Apr 23, 2020 |
A fascinating read, just like all of Cornwell ' books. I am enjoying watching Uhtred's life journey. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
(40) I was overdue for another installment of the Saxon Tales or the Lost Kingdom - Cornwall's never-ending seemingly tale of the formation of 'Englaland' - King Alfred's dream of uniting the island under Christian rule with expulsion of the pagan Vikings (more properly known as the Danes.) In this installment, King Edward rules West Saxon, but Mercia continues to be troubled - this time by Alfred's daughter Atherflaed's husband's death. He ruled Mercia for Edward by proxy and there is now the titular 'empty throne.'

Meanwhile Lord Uhtred is ailing post his deadly battle with Cnut and we finally get to know his children a bit better. Uhtred, Jr - actually the middle son as the oldest is essentially disowned for becoming a priest - Uhtred, Jr is a chip off the old block. And Stiorra will definitely give her father grey hair. Anyway, the writing is same old - same old. The battle scenes repetitive. And yet. . . on I read. Cornwall really sucks you in. I wonder how I can enjoy what amounts to the same story told again and again, right?

Oh well. There is no question I will finish the series and hopefully tune in to the next season this fall on Netflix. Go ahead and judge me. ( )
  jhowell | Aug 9, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,649,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible