because by Mr. Jack A Langedijk

because (edition 2014)

by Mr. Jack A Langedijk (Author), Ms. V V Cam (Cover Design)

211720,074 (4)None
Member:dayverampas
Title:because
Authors:Mr. Jack A Langedijk (Author)
Other authors:Ms. V V Cam (Cover Design)
Info:Jack Langedijk (2014), 388 pages
Tags:to-read

because by Mr. Jack A Langedijk

I was invited by the author’s press people to read/review Because. Sounded great. When it arrived in the mail, I was more than a little skeptical. If I had seen this on a bookshelf, I would have passed it by. The cover art is confusing, the title is boring and weird (that lowercase “b” really threw me off), and the back cover text didn’t pull me in.
Then, I started reading. The first 23 pages were bad. I had no idea what was happening. Thank God for my 50-page rule (I almost always give a book 50 pages before I say it’s not for me).By the time I reached page 50, I realized that those first pages merely had a badly placed flashback.
And by the time, I reached page 50, I was hooked on Robert and his story. Robert, real name Roberto Sanchez, had a great life: He gave workshops to at-risk kids; he climbed mountains—and had climbed the most difficult ones, including Mt. Everest; he had a loving and supportive wife, and a beautiful daughter. He was “on the top of the world,” physically and psychologically.
Then, the avalanche happened. He was trapped beneath six stories of snow and ice. He was rescued, obviously, but lost both legs. How does a man go from being active and fit, to no longer being able to do the things he loved? It’s hard that’s for sure.
Robert’s story weaves between past and present, not necessarily in that order. Langedijk does a great job in naming each chapter so readers can figure out what’s happening. For the past, Langedijk also weaves in the stories of how the other three members of Robert’s climbing party (not including the guides) came to be in that group. Troy, Nancy, and Phillip are fascinating, well-developed characters. I was especially taken with Troy, and I think other readers will find him one of their favorite characters also. The author also weaved in Robert’s sessions with a counselor.
For the present story, Lanfedijk provides a linear story that culminates in heartbreak and happiness. Toward the end, the story became a little preachy and got a little old. But by the end, I was once again riveted with Robert’s plight.
I give Because 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  juliecracchiolo | Jan 19, 2018 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Mr. Jack A Langedijk's book because was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,418,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible