The Manifesto on How to be Interesting

Authors:
Info:
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

The Manifesto on How to be Interesting by Holly Bourne

My niece gave me this book while I was on vacay in the Philippines. I cried when she gave it to me, yeah, the way to my heart is through a book, lol!

I have mixed feelings about the protagonist, she's the type of character you'd love to hate. Bree is an only child of wealthy parents, she's smart and pretty. Yes, her dad isn't home all the time because of his job, and her mom is a bit self-absorbed, but these issues aren't that bad and hopeless. Why then is Bree so resentful of her parents? Why does she hate her life so much? Why does she deliberately make herself unattractive? Then one day she decides to reinvent herself as material for her writing and chronicles it on a blog called The Manifesto on How to Be Interesting. Some of the choices she makes made me cringe, but as the story unfolds you get to understand why Bree is the way she is. She's clearly a troubled girl who needs help.

The story touches on real-life issues that teenagers (even adults) are facing, like bullying, self-harm, inappropriate relationships and the need for validation. Ultimately this is the story of a girl's journey to self-love and redemption.

I liked it and I'm keeping an eye out for more Holly Bourne books next time I visit a bookstore ( )
  VavaViolet | Nov 2, 2016 |
Easy to read book even though it took me 3 days to finish it (work issue). I give it 3 stars because I sometimes felt disconnected with the characters especially in the scenes between Bree and Logan. I just didn't find the supposedly "feelings" there. And Holdo deserves more pages. ( )
  RonaKaren | Jan 23, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,320,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible