How To Talk So Kids Can Learn by Adele Faber

How To Talk So Kids Can Learn

by Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish

This book was shelved with the homeschooling books at the library, and although it's not specifically geared towards homeschoolers, it has a lot of great suggestions that I think will be useful to the homeschooler crowd (as well as teachers and parents of children going to school-school).

I love Alfie Kohn's ideas about avoiding punishments and rewards, but his books (at least the ones I've read) are pretty heavy on theory and pretty light on practical application. Faber and Mazlish offer heaps of real-world examples that I've been able to try out immediately with my own kiddos. I would love to have a conflict resolution workshop at my kids' homeschool co-op based on the ideas in this book (but in case any of my fellow co-op parents are reading this, I want to attach an emphatic "Not it" to this suggestion).

The only thing this book lacks is a chapter on what to do when your nine-year-old has read the book ahead of you and is now correcting your technique when you try to implement the suggestions. (This shared reading also led to an interesting conversation with my daughter that began, "Mom, in one chapter they imply that saying 'your mother' is an insult, and I can't figure out why that would be an insult.") ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Nov 6, 2014 |
Great Book. It builds on their previous books with more examples. Love how they give scenarios which seem OK then show a better way. I will listen to this one again and use what I have learned here. ( )
  GShuk | Sep 26, 2009 |
This was actually a fun book to read with my 10-year-old daughter. It's such a positive book, it really hones in on what kind of communication is judgmental and off-putting and what kind is inspiring and uplifting. It is full of examples and question-and-answer sections, some of it is told in cartoon strips. Although it's written for teachers, it is useful to anyone who communicates with kids or, really, anyone in a leadership position. ( )
  karenmerguerian | Jun 13, 2008 |
This book contains common sense advice (that we often forget) on how to get the most out of our children by non-violent, self-motivating encouragement.
  vesnaslav | Apr 8, 2008 |
Great stuff. Practical explication of the theories of Alfie Kohn. Like Kohn's work, it questions *the very basis of most theories of discipline*: that the exercise of power over children by adults is universally or intrinsically logical and desirable. ( )
  labbit440 | Mar 10, 2008 |

Adele Faberprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mazlish, Elainemain authorall editionsconfirmed

The leading experts on parent-child communication show parents and teachers how to motivate kids to learn and succeed in school.

Using the unique communication strategies, down-to-earth dialogues, and delightful cartoons that are the hallmark of their multimillion-copy bestseller How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk, Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish show parents and teachers how to help children handle the everyday problems that interfere with learning.

This breakthrough book demonstrates how parents and teachers can join forces to inspire kids to be self-directed, self-disciplined, and responsive to the wonders of learning.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:18 -0400)

Teaming up with two award-winning teachers who well know the problems of our faltering school system, Faber and Mazlish adapt their unique, time-tested communication strategies to the specific concerns of the classroom. Once aagin utilizing the dramatically effective "dialogue" technique (what to say and how and when to say it) that has made their work famous worldwide, they illustrate how to use this method to help kids handle the schoolwork and behavioral and peer problems that interfere with the learning process.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,323,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible