How To Talk So Kids Can Learn by Adele Faber

How To Talk So Kids Can Learn

by Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish

The subtitle of this book is ‘At home and in school’, and it’s intended primarily for teachers in schools. In today’s climate, where many children lack respect and motivation, it’s vital for a teacher to be able to inspire a child to think and participate, rather than (as happened too often in the past) by sarcasm, yelling, or punishments. The underlying thesis of this book is that most children do want to learn, if only they can be guided in the right direction, and treated with respect. It would also probably be of use to people leading children's groups or indeed to parents of large families.

Topics are covered loosely in separate chapters which include ‘The Pitfalls of Punishment’, ‘Solving Problems Together’, and ‘How to Free a Child’. The subject matter is very similar to that of the original classic, 'How to talk so kids will listen...', with the difference that other children are involved. Moreover the teacher is not in the same role as a parent: he does not need to teach the child morals or ethics, or even raise him. The teacher’s job is to impart information, skills and learning techniques.

Some of the scenarios in this book left me feeling exhausted, relieved not to be a teacher. But I found it extremely interesting nonetheless. I like the style, the writing pace is just right, the cartoons break up the text a little and put the message over in a slightly different way, and the advice all makes excellent sense. I know from experience that non-coercive respectful parenting is a great way to raise children - and am pleased to learn that this can be the case in the classroom, if teachers take the time to put these principles into practice -while acknowledging that no single book can provide all the answers.

Very highly recommended.
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This book was shelved with the homeschooling books at the library, and although it's not specifically geared towards homeschoolers, it has a lot of great suggestions that I think will be useful to the homeschooler crowd (as well as teachers and parents of children going to school-school).

I love Alfie Kohn's ideas about avoiding punishments and rewards, but his books (at least the ones I've read) are pretty heavy on theory and pretty light on practical application. Faber and Mazlish offer heaps of real-world examples that I've been able to try out immediately with my own kiddos. I would love to have a conflict resolution workshop at my kids' homeschool co-op based on the ideas in this book (but in case any of my fellow co-op parents are reading this, I want to attach an emphatic "Not it" to this suggestion).

The only thing this book lacks is a chapter on what to do when your nine-year-old has read the book ahead of you and is now correcting your technique when you try to implement the suggestions. (This shared reading also led to an interesting conversation with my daughter that began, "Mom, in one chapter they imply that saying 'your mother' is an insult, and I can't figure out why that would be an insult.") ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Nov 6, 2014 |
Great Book. It builds on their previous books with more examples. Love how they give scenarios which seem OK then show a better way. I will listen to this one again and use what I have learned here. ( )
  GShuk | Sep 26, 2009 |
This was actually a fun book to read with my 10-year-old daughter. It's such a positive book, it really hones in on what kind of communication is judgmental and off-putting and what kind is inspiring and uplifting. It is full of examples and question-and-answer sections, some of it is told in cartoon strips. Although it's written for teachers, it is useful to anyone who communicates with kids or, really, anyone in a leadership position. ( )
  karenmerguerian | Jun 13, 2008 |
This book contains common sense advice (that we often forget) on how to get the most out of our children by non-violent, self-motivating encouragement.
  vesnaslav | Apr 8, 2008 |

Adele Faberprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mazlish, Elainemain authorall editionsconfirmed

The leading experts on parent-child communication show parents and teachers how to motivate kids to learn and succeed in school.

Using the unique communication strategies, down-to-earth dialogues, and delightful cartoons that are the hallmark of their multimillion-copy bestseller How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk, Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish show parents and teachers how to help children handle the everyday problems that interfere with learning.

This breakthrough book demonstrates how parents and teachers can join forces to inspire kids to be self-directed, self-disciplined, and responsive to the wonders of learning.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

Teaming up with two award-winning teachers who well know the problems of our faltering school system, Faber and Mazlish adapt their unique, time-tested communication strategies to the specific concerns of the classroom. Once aagin utilizing the dramatically effective "dialogue" technique (what to say and how and when to say it) that has made their work famous worldwide, they illustrate how to use this method to help kids handle the schoolwork and behavioral and peer problems that interfere with the learning process.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible