Passion and Reason: Making Sense of Our…

Passion and Reason: Making Sense of Our Emotions (edition 1994)

by Richard S. Lazarus, Bernice N. Lazarus

Member:kathi
Title:Passion and Reason: Making Sense of Our Emotions
Authors:Richard S. Lazarus
Other authors:Bernice N. Lazarus
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (1994), Edition: First Edition, First Printing, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Psychology/Psychiatry
Tags:acquisition source: Amazon

Passion and Reason: Making Sense of Our Emotions by Richard S. Lazarus

This is a comprehensive handbook and user guide to human emotions. It has the depth, rigor, and authority of an academic text and the accessibility of a self-help book. It unravels mysteries of human behavior that I wondered about for years.
The book begins with a grand tour of fifteen emotions. Each of these detailed tours begins with a case study followed by a description of the unique dramatic plot, the underlying assessment of personal goals, provocation, personal meaning, and coping strategies for each emotion. The logic underlying each emotion is analyzed. Subtle but useful distinctions are described between related emotions and between emotions and their synonyms. For example, the distinction between envy and jealousy, the difference between anxiety, fright, fear, and horror and the differentiation between embarrassment, shame, shyness, and humiliation is made clear.

A central theory of the book is that emotion and logic ("heart" and "head") cannot be separated. Each emotion begins with our appraisal of how we have been harmed or benefited in a certain way. After this appraisal, we choose a course of action. Knowing the logic of each emotion allows you to decipher peoples' emotional patterns and reconcile them with personal goals.

The book concludes with discussion of several practical implications. These include emotions and their relationship to stress and health as well as descriptions of psychotherapy approaches that can be helpful when coping fails.

I look forward to re-reading and studying this substantial book again and again. ( )
  lbeaumont | Oct 29, 2006 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0195104617, Paperback)

When Oxford published Emotion and Adaptation, the landmark 1991 book on the psychology of emotion by internationally acclaimed stress and coping expert Richard Lazarus, Contemporary Psychology welcomed it as "a brightly shining star in the galaxy of such volumes." Psychiatrists, psychologists and researchers hailed it as a masterpiece, a major breakthrough in our understanding of the emotional process and its central role in our adaptation as individuals and as a species. What was still needed, however, was a book for general readers and health care practitioners that would dispel the myths still surrounding cultural beliefs about emotion and systematically explain the relevance of the new research to the emotional dramas of our everyday lives.
Now, in Passion and Reason, Lazarus draws on his four decades of pioneering research to bring readers the first book to move beyond both clinical jargon and "feel-good" popular psychology to really explain, in plain, accessible language, how emotions are aroused, how they are managed, and how they critically shape our views of ourselves and the world around us. With his co-author writer Bernice Lazarus, Dr. Lazarus explores the latest findings on the short and long-term causes and effects of various emotions, including the often conflicting research on stress management and links between negative emotions and heart disease, cancer, and other aspects of physical and psychological health. Lazarus makes a strong case that contrary to common assumption, emotions are not irrational--our emotions and our analytical thought processes are inextricably linked.
While not a "how-to" book, Passion and Reason does describe how readers can interpret what lies behind their own emotions and those of their families, friends, and co-workers, and how to manage them more effectively. Exploring fifteen emotions in depth, from love to jealousy, the authors show how the personal meaning we give to the events and conditions of our lives trigger such emotions as anger, anxiety, guilt, and pride. They provide fascinating vignettes to frame a "biography" of each emotion. Some are composite case histories drawn from Dr. Lazarus's long career, but most are stories of people the Lazaruses have known over the years--people whose emotional fears, conflicts, and desires mirror readers' own. The Lazaruses also offer a special chapter on the diverse strategies of coping people use in managing their emotions, and another, "When Coping Fails," on psychotherapy and its approaches to emotional stress and dysfunction, from traditional Freudian psychoanalysis to continuing research into relaxation techniques, meditation, hypnosis, and biofeedback.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:44 -0400)

When Oxford published Emotion and Adaptation, the landmark 1991 book on the psychology of emotion by internationally acclaimed stress and coping expert Richard Lazarus, Contemporary Psychology welcomed it as "a brightly shining star in the galaxy of such volumes." Psychologists, psychiatrists, and researchers hailed it as a masterpiece, a major breakthrough in our understanding of the emotional process and its central role in the adaptation of individuals and our species. What was still needed, however, was a book for general readers and health care practitioners that would dispel the myths still surrounding cultural beliefs about emotion and systematically explain the relevance of the newest research to the emotional dramas of our everyday lives. Now, in Passion and Reason, Dr. Lazarus and his co-author and wife, Bernice Lazarus, move beyond overly technical treatments of the subject, clinical jargon, and "feel-good" popular psychology to really explain, in plain, accessible language, how emotions are aroused, how they are managed, and how they critically shape our views of ourselves and the world around us. The Lazaruses explore the short- and long-term causes and effects of many emotions, evaluating research on stress and health, and the links between negative emotions and heart disease, cancer, and other physical and mental diseases. They make a strong case that, contrary to common assumption, emotions are not irrational - our emotions, motives, and thoughts are inextricably linked. This linkage makes it possible to understand each emotion with precision. Passion and Reason describes how readers can interpret what lies behind their own emotions and those of their families, friends, and co-workers. While not intended as a how-to book, its treatment of the emotions, the situations that arouse them, and how people deal with them still provides useful ideas about how to manage our emotions more effectively. Exploring fifteen emotions in depth, from love to jealousy, the authors show how the personal meaning we give to the events and conditions of our lives trigger such emotions as anger, anxiety, guilt, and pride. Basic to these accounts are a set of fascinating vignettes, stories of actual emotions as they were experienced by real people, which frame a "biography" of each emotion. Some are composite case histories drawn from Dr. Lazarus's long career, but most are accounts of people the Lazaruses have known over the years - people whose emotional fears, conflicts, and desires mirror the reader's own. The Lazaruses also offer a special chapter on the diverse strategies of coping people use in managing their emotions. Another chapter on psychotherapy, "When Coping Fails," which is also informed by a case history, details the therapeutic approaches to emotional distress and dysfunction currently available. These range from traditional Freudian psychoanalysis to continuing research into relaxation techniques, meditation, hypnosis, and biofeedback. Packed with insight and compellingly readable, Passion and Reason will enrich all readers fascinated by our emotional lives.… (more)

1 avail.1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,507,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible