Crow Fair: Stories by Thomas McGuane

Crow Fair: Stories (edition 2015)

by Thomas McGuane (Author)

Member:bibliopaul76
Title:Crow Fair: Stories
Authors:Thomas McGuane (Author)
Info:Knopf (2015), Edition: 1st, 288 pages

Crow Fair: Stories by Thomas McGuane

A fine collection of stories, many featuring men that are found wanting, both in their eyes and in the eyes of others. In the title story, two brothers find their own ways to deal with the revelation that their mother had an extramarital fling with an Indian. In “Hubcaps” a young boy encounters cruelty while navigating his parent’s broken marriage. In “Prairie Girl” a former prostitute marries into a banking family and schemes her way to respectability. In “On a Dirt Road” and “The Casserole” wives find sneaky ways to humiliate their husbands. There’s a lot of distrust, befuddlement and harshness in these extremely well-written stories. Despite these depictions of the messy ugliness that can characterize relationships, the stories never let us lose hope. ( )
  Hagelstein | Mar 1, 2017 |
Thomas McGuane's writing is always fantastic. As with all short story collections some stores are better than others, but nearly every story in this book was classic McGuane. ( )
  zmagic69 | Apr 12, 2016 |
Have to admit, I've started a few of McGuane's novels in the past and didn't get very far. This may have had more to do with timing than with McGuane's writing. Reading this collection of stories makes me want to read more. These are realistic, unsparing yet compassionate tales about human relationships (family, friends, lovers). Unpredictable (like life), I found myself eager to return to his world and his people, curious to find what would happen to them, even though the stories could be a little bleak. Glad I gave McGuane another shot. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
Crow Fair by Thomas McGuane is a work of beautifully written literary works of short fiction, each story is set in Big Sky country, and yet while family and friendships appears to be the central theme, each story, there are seventeen in all, are quite different and yet all the stories draw the reader into the messed up lives of the characters, yet their flaws make them even more human and readily accessible to the reader. It is not often I read a collection of short stories I care to share with others, in hopes they too will pick up the collection, but Crow Fair is one of the exceptions. McGuane sense of humanity, tragedy, and wit make for an exceptional collection of short stories that fully engage the reader and often times make the reader pause and reflect. Several of the short stories stayed with me and I caught myself thinking of them long after I had finished the book. I look forward to reading more works my McGuane; he is truly a master of literary prose. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Feb 3, 2015 |

"As his mother's dementia worsens, a devoted, favored son is shocked to learn of his mother's past; a father's meager outdoor skills are no match for a terrifying turn in the weather; old friends holding too many grudges go camping and hire a suicidal guide with too many rules. In several stories, unlikely alliances form: an eccentric neighbor who babysits for a busy, unstable couple becomes overly attached; an accomplished cattle geneticist gets sidetracked by the glamour of a stranger's easy money; an injured ranch owner is charmed by his hired help -- and becomes collateral damage in a classic art world heist. In all, the acuity of McGuane's darkly comic vision is surpassed only by the compassion he manifests for even the rascalliest of his creatures"--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,623,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible