Twelve by Nick McDonell

Twelve

by Nick McDonell

Read pp 1-2. Author is only 17 years old but guy writes like he is 30. Incredibly mature voice altho the story does drag in parts and Claude's huge shoot-em-up at the end goes over the top. White Mike's emotional connection to his cousin Charlie wasn't well-defined for me, wasn't convincing enough. Still, an amazing story.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Carbon-copy of Ellis' style of descriptions, paired with absurd characters and an absurd plot. Most space in this book is wasted on the formatting. ( )
  Sparrowlicious | Apr 13, 2015 |
Enjoyed & am finally donating as I need to cull bookshelves before moving. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
I liked this book even though I was a bit unsure.
The main character is White Mike a teenage drug dealer in New York.
This is a story of the build up to a New Years party.
White Mike and all his peers are all rich young white kids
The party begins in good spirits but ends in tradegy. Easy to read, different from my normal choice of book. ( )
  Daftboy1 | May 2, 2013 |
I'd seen the movie and hadn't thought the movie was that bad. Sure, it needed improvements, but I didn't realize just how much improvement had been made on the source material. Putting it bluntly, this book sucked. This was the kind of book that makes you want to, in a line from the television series Friends, "push my finger through my eye, into my brain, and swirl it around."

Yes, it was THAT bad.

The writing style was choppy at best. The characters were undeveloped. The topic could have been interesting, but the writer seemed to believe that his purpose was not to develop a story. He just seemed to throw words and phrases onto the page without any regard for what they did to or for the story.

I've read better from elementary aged children doing their first creative writing lessons. At least they understand some writing basics. I guess that McDonell never had anyone explain to him that a story has to have something to keep the attention of the readers. Or someone explained it to him and he just didn't care. Honestly, it seems like it was probably the latter.

I couldn't finish the book because it was just that bad. I don't understand how anyone makes it more than halfway. The only people I would recommend this book to are people that I think deserve to feel the agony of being tortured. ( )
  janersm | Oct 20, 2012 |
Für meinen Vater
White Mike ist dünn und blass wie Rauch.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 184354072X, Paperback)

On the surface, Nick McDonell's debut novel Twelve (written when the well-connected former prep-schooler was 17) feels like an East Coast Less Than Zero: the laconic style and episodic plot; the privileged ennui, drugs, and pop culture sensibility (with sprinklings of Prada, FUBU, North Face, and Nokia replacing Zero's Armani, English Beat T-shirts, Wayfarer sunglasses, and Betamax); the Christmas break setting; even the italicized flashbacks--it's all there. But Twelve also shares its casual, youthful arrogance with the jaded aggressiveness and jagged style of Larry Clark's Kids.

McDonell has crafted a pulsing narrative that clips along at an after-hours pace, pulling the reader along like an ominous rip tide, shifting easily from the Upper East Side to Harlem to Central Park to introduce a cast of loosely connected characters. White Mike, Twelve's clean-living, Cheerios-loving, milkshake-drinking drug dealer, drives the majority of the barely-there plot. ("Mike uses a teaspoon to eat his cereal, not a big soup spoon, because he likes to have less milk in his mouth with each bite" is about as deep as it gets.) Character development is limited to an easy shorthand ("Long legs, large breasts, blond hair, blue eyes, high cheekbones.") that results in a simple surface-skimming, leaving one too many caricatures of the very youth culture McDonell is writing about. Readers will see the blood-spattered, penultimate set piece coming down Fifth Avenue from page one, but any potential shock value or drama is immediately deflated in Twelve's head-scratching hangover of a denouement. --Brad Thomas Parsons

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:14 -0400)

From a gifted and assured 17-year-old author comes a stunning portrait of his generation set among wealthy kids in Manhattan.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,264,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible