The Mist in the Mirror by Susan Hill

The Mist in the Mirror (original 1992; edition 1999)

by Susan Hill

Member:thefirstalicat
Title:The Mist in the Mirror
Authors:Susan Hill
Info:
Rating:***1/2
Tags:supernatural, ghost story, England

The Mist in the Mirror: A Ghost Story by Susan Hill (1992)

The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill (sardav64)
    sardav64: A short eery novella that is perfect for long cold autumn and winter evenings

Title - The Mist In The Mirror

Author - Susan Hill

Summary -

One night a young man, having supper in his private club and carrying on with his friends of the existence of a ghost on the club's grounds is asked by one of the elder statesmen the following question:

"..You...believe?"
"Believe? Oh as to that..." I made a dismissive gesture. The topic was not one I wanted to raise again, in the late, silent street.
I have...a story. It is in my possession...which perhaps you might care to read..."

The young man is given a package which tells the tale of the elder club member, Sir James Monmouth, a young orphan, who has explored all around the globe, following in the footsteps of his idol; Conrad Vane. His final destination being London as he seeks further knowledge into the life of Conrad Vane. It is Monmouth's desire to write a book about his idol. But instead he is greeted with warnings and dire predictions by those he meets and questions about Vane.

"...Then Dancer said, his voice almost a whisper. "Whoever touches, explores, follows after Vane, will be run mad, and will never afterward rest his head or enjoy his peace or have a home. He will be haunted. He will be cursed. I saw what lay ahead, Monmouth, I drew back..."

Monmouth is not deterred. Despite the warnings. Despite the history of those who have followed Vane and perished. Despite the ghostly figure of a small child that he spies everywhere he goes. Monmouth goes on. His investigation eventually brings him to Kittiscar and a mystery he had no knowledge of.
In Kittiscar Hall is the last known surviving member of a family. The family of Monmouth. The family James Monmouth was orphaned from. Before he can question her, she passes away, leaving the Hall and all the family riches to James. But she leaves him with something else.

"...She continued to stare at me but now a look of almost horror crossed her features when she spoke, her voice a whisper.
"You surely are not planning to live here at Kittiscar?"
"Why certainly I am! I have no other home. I am the heir to the house, am I not?"
"But you cannot...surely you will not."
"Why do you say so?"
"Because...because you are a Monmouth and a man..."

It is here in Kittiscar Hall that James Monmouth must come face to face with the true nature of Conrad Vane, with the legacy of the Monmouth family and the clouded features that in the mist in the mirror.

Review -

Gothic Horror. Ghost Story. Things that go bump in the night.
This is the real thing.
Susan Hill writes fog heavy, English countryside, atmospheric tension, old time Saturday morning, black and white horror like you grew up with. Boris Karloff and Christopher Lee could literally step off these pages.
Like her novel, The Woman In Black; not the slow moving Daniel Radcliff movie, but the book itself; The Mist in the Mirror, moves steadily, building tension and fear as it slowly unravels the mystery behind the legacy that James Monmouth has unwittingly inherited.
This novel is what true horror novels were before the need to splash buckets of blood on every page became the standard.
A really good read. ( )
  agarcia85257 | Jul 10, 2014 |
I very much like Susan Hill's gothic ghost stories, but this one was a serious disappointment. We never really find out just what the issue was between Conrad Vane and the men of the Monmouth family. We never find out exactly how the young boy died (but there's a sense that it was at boarding school, so how does that tie in with the old chapel and burial vault?). Who is old Mr. Quincebridge (who appears out nowhere in the library and then disappears from the story, and who seems to have no interaction with the Quincebridge family, so that one wonders whether he's a figment of Monmouth's imagination)?

Way too many loose ends -- the ones I've mentioned are just some of the more obvious -- which leads to a very unsatisfactory ending. ( )
  CurrerBell | Jun 23, 2014 |
The ending is disappointing almost anti-climatic. The author draws in the reader but disappoints in the end. The ending is confusing I wasn't sure if the main character was a psychopath or possessed or haunted or cursed or if the mirror was a portal to hell. ( )
  AmberEgan | May 21, 2014 |
Best known for The Woman in Black, made into a spine-tingling play and movie, Susan Hill's novel The Mist in the Mirror takes the reader into another realm of ghostly terror.
Sir James Monmouth has just returned to England after spending some time traveling around the world retracing the journeys of Conrad Vane, a pioneering traveler of the nineteenth century. Monmouth checks in with his friends at his London club where he hears talk of a "club ghost." Monmouth pays little attention, and soon moves on to pay a visit to the remote Kittiscar Hall, Vane's childhood home. As he begins his journey, he spends a night at the Cross Keys Inn outside of London, where he sees the image of a pale young boy in a mirror. Strangely, this ghostly boy seems to follow him as he travels.
The atmosphere of nineteenth century England, a gloomy manor house lit by candles and with dark portraits of long dead ancestors hanging on the wall, is the perfect setting for a traditional ghost story such as this. As his journey progresses, Monmouth begins to learn more about himself and his own past, as well as his subject, Conrad Vane. Orphaned at a young age, Monmouth has no memory of his early life in England. The manner in which their two lives are intertwined brings about the conclusion to Monmouth's investigation, especially when he find his own name referred to frequently in the correspondence remaining at Kittiscar Hall.
This is the perfect book to read on a cold winter night, as you watch the snow swirl outside your window. But maybe not when you are alone in the house. Depending on your imagination, and mine is very developed, you may be up all night, watching those dark windows and seeing things in the darkness.
(As published in Suspense Magazine)
  kathleen.heady | May 1, 2014 |
2.5 Hill's ghost stories are always more atmospheric than downright spooky,
so I was prepared for the slow pacing, the descriptive settings and the slow reveals. This one, however, never really worked for me or maybe it was that I never felt I really ever knew the main character of Sir James. Mysterious sighting of a small desperate boy, rumors and warnings against continuing his search a strange bookshelf with a mysterious owner should have made this a stellar read. As much as I liked some of the journey, alas at the end I felt I was still in the mist.

ARC from publisher. ( )
  Beamis12 | Feb 14, 2014 |
London, and the library of my Club, towards the end of an afternoon in late November, that bleak, dispiriting time of year when the golden Indian summer days that lingered on through October seem long gone, and it is yet too early to feel the approaching cheer of Christmas.  (Preface to Sir James Monmouth's manuscript)

An inveterate traveller, Sir James Monmouth has spent most of his life abroad. He arrives in England on a dark and rainy night with the intention of discovering more, not only about himself, but his obsession with Conrad Vane, an explorer. Warned against following his trail, Sir James experiences some extraordinary happenings — who is the mysterious, sad little boy, and the old woman behind the curtain? And why is it that he only hears the chilling scream and the desperate sobbing?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:47 -0400)

An inveterate traveller, Sir James Monmouth has spent most of his life abroad. He arrives in England on a dark and rainy night with the intention of discovering more, not only about himself but his obsession with Conrad Vane, an explorer. Warned against following his trail, Sir James experiences some extraordinary happenings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,409,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible