dismiss

The Singular & Extraordinary Tale of Mirror…

The Singular & Extraordinary Tale of Mirror & Goliath

by Ishbelle Bee

1888. A little girl called Mirror and her shape-shifting guardian Goliath Honeyflower are washed up on the shores of Victorian England. Something has been wrong with Mirror since the day her grandfather locked her inside a mysterious clock that was painted all over with ladybirds. Mirror does not know what she is, but she knows she is no longer human. John Loveheart, meanwhile, was not born wicked. But after the sinister death of his parents, he was taken by Mr. Fingers, the demon lord of the underworld. Some say he is mad. John would be inclined to agree. Now Mr Fingers is determined to find the little girl called Mirror, whose flesh he intends to eat, and whose soul is the key to his eternal reign. And John Loveheart has been called by his otherworldly father to help him track Mirror down... File Under-FantasyShapes Shifting / Inside the Clock / A Tasty Little Girl / 12 Dancing Princesses… (more)

3.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Read near the end of 2016, but it is certainly a contender for the weirdest book of the year for me. It is difficult to place it somewhere, but if I had to, it would be some kind of adult fairy tale. I really liked the cover.

It starts out rather like a horror tale. Mirror grandfather, being mad, tried to kill her to conserve her soul in a clock. It turns out that a lot of children are disappearing by the hands of a certain cult. But since the story is told from different POVs and not chronologically, it will be of extreme importance to keep your mind with this read.

It certainly was strange. It was very interesting, and I cannot say I've read something similar before, but at times is was borderline absurd and because the story switched so often between many characters (all of which had their own weird stories) some parts of it felt a bit rushed.

I'm glad I already have the second book in the series, with an equally nice cover!

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
3.75.

Strange, twisted, macabre, odd, different and all together lovely. ( )
  Jonez | Oct 24, 2019 |
A penny dreadful fairy tale - Delightfully dark, wonderfully wicked – highly original!

I am so pleased I chose this book for review. I enjoyed every page and now I’ve finished it I feel like I could read it all again and enjoy it just as much.

“1888. A little girl called Mirror and her shape-shifting guardian Goliath Honeyflower are washed up on the shores of Victorian England. Something has been wrong with Mirror since the day her grandfather locked her inside a mysterious clock that was painted all over with ladybirds.”

There is a lovely blending of fairy tale and horror with this novel and when I began reading this story I thought, “Ok, is this a child’s way of making up stories and coping with her trauma or not? Or is it real?” I was delighted to discover when I read there was just so much more going on with this story.

I think to describe Bee’s novel as a penny dreadful fairy tale might come close to giving you a feel for this book. The writing is wonderful. The use of imagery, colour (I know it’s a book not a film, but you’ll get this ref when you read it!) is superb and immerses you in this world. I particularly loved the use of odd fonts and different spacing for some of the text as an excellent way of highlighting the madness of some of the characters.

I had many laugh out loud moments while reading this due to the excellent dialogue and characterisations. Seriously – Mr Loveheart turns out to be a wonderfully deranged hero and I'm glad this is marked as book 1 in his adventures, because the world needs to see more of Mr Loveheart!

There are many interconnected sub-stories here and the book jumps about in terms of time periods; some readers may not cope with this. However, I loved these extra stories and didn’t mind the jumps in time. In fact, I think, given the nature of Mirror’s gift and that she is a child, those jumps were highly appropriate. It does mean though, that you’ve got to concentrate on reading at least until you get into the swing of things.

This is a five out of five stars rating and I hardly ever say that. I really didn’t want to put it down or for it to end! I will be on the lookout for more books by this author.

Bravo Ishbelle Bee!

(Release date 2 June, 2015)
1 vote tracymjoyce | Nov 16, 2017 |
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

This is a rather perplexing book. I expected a story centred on Mirror and Goliath but was treated to a tale that took many unexpected twists. Not to say that I was disappointed. On the contrary, I found the book delightful and truly imaginative. There is even a tale of Mirror and Goliath tucked in there. And, to be fair, it is the first volume in the adventures of Johm Loveheart.
If you like imaginative characters with just a soupcon of creepiness, you'll like this book. I did. ( )
  danojacks | Jan 5, 2017 |
The second book in this series is actually better - but this one is a good beginning. We have the story the origin story of John Loveheart. In this book - he is a bit too scattered. Of course - this is man deciding if he is evil, or good, so the scatterness is understandable.

This book isn't really a standard story - it starts with a brother and sister being taken in by relatives. The girl was given a butterfly tattoo by a mysterious being in the night. Of course, there is an evil man who recognizes the tattoo- and formerly adopts the girl. Chaos ensues - but not in the way you expect it. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 13, 2015 |
For Mum x
In the summer of 1887, my grandfather stole a clock.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,673,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible