Rainbow's End by Ellis Peters

Rainbow's End (1978)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Inspector Felse (13)

Recently added bymjcherbert, private library, Jenni_Canuck, deborah.e.kaye, djdavis, dm131313

Not my favorite Peters, but the last in the Felse series, I believe. And that’s about all I can remember on this one! [July 2010] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
Mr. Rainbow just doesn't fit into the small community of Middlehope. In fact, he is like a pebble in the shoe. What are they to do with him? This becomes Inspector George Felse's problem when it develops that someone has put an all too final end to the problem of Mr. Rainbow.

This story was good reading. As always, Peters manages to create both lovable and despicable characters. The community itself acts as a character in this tale. I was distracted while reading it, but had no trouble putting the clues together to solve the mystery. ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 25, 2012 |
After a mysterious death occurs, Mr. Rainbow the church organist, is found to have met his demise by falling from the church's bell tower. The question is ... was the tragedy intentional, or accidental? And what was he doing in the bell tower to begin with? When upon further investigation evidence is found to suggest he was pushed the story goes into full swing ... leading one to suspect his wife, her admirer (lover?), a choirboy, among others. I wasn't seriously drawn into the story, but as with all mysteries compelled to read on and see the outcome. I thought the motive was lame, and the plot revolving around Rainbow's conceitedness about his musical talent unbelievable. The valuable musical manuscripts hardly seemed worth killing over. ( )
  SFM13 | Nov 25, 2009 |
Not bad, but not very satisfying or memorable. I know I've read it before but I didn't remember any of it - not even the tour of the Abbey, which was amusing mostly because I've been Bossie on such tours. Rainbow is pretty much a non-entity. even when he's being most annoying, so it's no big deal when he's killed (not a spoiler, or not more of one than the title!). Barbara gets more interesting once he's dead, but she remains more or less incomprehensible; Bossie is mildly interesting at best and mildly annoying at worst. I like Toby, but he doesn't play much of a part. And like that. Nothing wrong with the story, but nothing particularly attractive about it either. Hmm, should check dates - is this an early effort? Also, no mention of Dominic at all, despite a lot of school-kid characters and parental concerns. Only two mentions of Bunty, for that matter. But it's really not a police procedural, either. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Oct 2, 2009 |

Peters, Ellisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The gate-posts, until recently shorn of their crests and leaning drunkenly out of true, now stood up regally on either side of the drive, crowned with a pair of baronial lions, gripping in their paws escutcheons certainly not native either to the building, which was in fact a rather monstrous eighteenth-century vicarage, built by a wealthy plurarlist in the days when such remote parishes carried a stipend fit for a prince, or the present owner, who was a come-lately antique dealer from Birmingham, the first landlord since 1800 to be able to duplicate the founder's extravagant fancies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,344,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible