The Wind Singer (The Wind On Fire Trilogy,…

The Wind Singer (The Wind On Fire Trilogy, Book 1) (original 2000; edition 2003)

by William Nicholson (Author)

1,411378,088 (3.77)1 / 62
Member:tekknolagi
Title:The Wind Singer (The Wind On Fire Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:William Nicholson (Author)
Info:Hyperion Books for Children (2003), 384 pages

The Wind Singer by William Nicholson (2000)

English (34)  French (2)  German (1)  All languages (37)
I first read this first in elementary or middle school. I absolutely loved it, and have been trying to find it again for years. I am not a big fan of fantasy novels, but for some reason this book has kept with me since i read it 10 years ago ( )
  JennVelez | Feb 9, 2019 |
I remember reading this book when I was in the eighth grade, maybe freshman year of high school and enjoying it for the most part. I read it again since I got it in a library sale free bag day.

That being said, this book has characters that struck me as annoying (though that is almost certainly due to my age at this point). The adults of course are grossly incompetent and the chuldren, quite young in this case, are left to go on an extremely dangerous journey alone, witnessing the deaths of 2 species (wolves and eagles) along the way, and nearly getting killed several times themselves.

The story itself has lazy writing. When the situation seemed dire, a solution magically poofs into being without any explanation what soever. As a result, the entire story was a chore to finish.

Another annoying thing about this story were the made up slang/cursings. "hubba hubba" was repeatedly used and it meant something along the lines of "yay". ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
A brother and sister team rebel against their city's soulless and color-coded caste system, face dire consequences from the Chief Examiner, and instead escape the city walls and head out in search of the key to the Wind Singer (a strange and ancient device in the middle of the city). There are hints that finding and replacing the key will unlock the Wind Singer's song and along with it, the freedom of the citizens of Aramanth. But to get it they must travel a long way and face the Big Bad, Morah, and his creepy sort-of-undead marching-band army.
A good story with good characters (the twins' parents, who also rebel in their own ways, are excellent too), but the world-building has some bare patches and the ending was a bit pat. I may continue the series at some point, but not just now, I think. ( )
  electrascaife | Jan 20, 2018 |
Book one in the Wind on Fire Trilogy.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |

Nicholson, Williamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sís, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
West, SamuelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Edward, Julia, and Maria
At the time the strangers came, the Manth people were still living in the low mat-walled shelters that they had carried with them in their hunting days.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786814179, Mass Market Paperback)

In the city of Aramanth, the mantra is, "Better today than yesterday. Better tomorrow than today." Harder work means the citizens of Aramanth can keep moving forward to improved life stations--from Gray tenements and Orange apartments, upwards to glorious mansions of White. Only some families, like the Haths, believe more in ideas and dreams than in endless toil and ratings. When Kestrel Hath decides she is through with the Aramanth work ethic, she is joined in her small rebellion by her twin brother Bowman and their friend Mumpo. Together, they set the orderly city on its ear by escaping Aramanth's walls for an adventure that takes them from city sewers to desert sandstorms. Guided by an archaic map, they know that if they can find the voice of the Wind Singer, an ancient and mysterious instrument that stands in the center of Aramanth, they can save their people from their dreamless existence. But the voice is guarded by the dreaded Morah and its legion of perfect killing machines, the Zars. Are three ragtag kids any match for an army of darkness?

Like Lois Lowry's The Giver and Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass, The Wind Singer is a rich, multilayered fantasy that can be read on many levels. With this first volume of a planned trilogy, British author William Nicholson deftly illustrates such fundamental values as tolerance and the importance of individuality, without sacrificing a bit of the novel's breathless adventure. Watch out, J.K. Rowling! If the rest of The Wind on Fire trilogy is as amazing as this debut, Nicholson's books may be the next hot English export. (Ages 10 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:59 -0400)

After Kestrel Hath rebels against the stifling rules of Amaranth society and is forced to flee, she, along with her twin brother and a tagalong classmate, follow an ancient map in quest of the legendary silver voice of the wind singer, in an attempt to heal Amaranth and its people.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,128,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible