We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda…

We Should All Be Feminists (2014)

by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The Clothing of Books by Jhumpa Lahiri (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Speeches by celebrated authors turned into slender books.

English (73)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (75)
Amazing essay on feminism, the book is short and sweet. It's a condensed version of Chimamanda's TED talk speech. I agreed with so much, I would read a sentence and in my mind go YES YES YESSSS. Would of loved for it to be longer. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
I liked this speech.

"The problem with gender is that it prescribed how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations."

carmacreator | Jun 13, 2018 |
“Some people ask, ‘why the word feminist? Why not just say you are a believer in human rights, or something like that?’ Because that would be dishonest. Feminism is, of course, part of human rights in general- but to choose to use the vague expression ‘human rights’ is to deny the specific and particular problem of gender. It would be a way of denying that the problem of gender targets women. That the problem was not about being human, but specifically about being a female human.” ( )
  polyreaderamy | Jun 11, 2018 |
A good, quick read, though it didn't "Wow!" me with any new ideas. A great little read for small feminists. ( )
  Matilda_Ashman | Jun 10, 2018 |
This was a quick, one-sitting read but a powerful one. I tried following along on her youtube TED Talk presentation but it got stuck at around the 7-minute mark and though I logged out and back on a few times, I could not get it to work. So I just read the text. It was, however, lovely to see and hear her read for the short time I was able to.

Adichi makes the important and obvious point that: "If we do something over and over again, it becomes normal. If we see the same thing over and over again, it becomes normal. If only boys are made class monitor, then at some point we will all think, even if unconsciously, that the class monitor has to be a boy. If we keep seeing only men as heads of corporations, it starts to seem 'natural' that only men should be heads of corporations."

Socialization is a slow and often unconscious process but until and unless we consciously make the effort to change such mindsets, nothing will change. And it must, if humans are to evolve.

Obvious, yes. But it appears that it can't be said often enough. ( )
  jessibud2 | May 6, 2018 |

Adichie, Chimamanda Ngoziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spinelli, FrancescaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wong, JoanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction
This is a modified version of a talk I delivered in December 2012 at TEDxEuston, a yearly conference focused on Africa.
Okoloma was one of my greatest childhood friends.
These are little things, but sometimes it is the little things that sting the most.
Masculinity is a hard, small cage, and we put boys inside this cage.
But by far the worst thing we do to males—by making them feel they have to be hard—is that we leave them with very fragile egos. The harder a man feels compelled to be, the weaker his ego is.

And then we do a much greater disservice to girls, because we raise them to cater to the fragile egos of males.
The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations.
For centuries, the world divided human beings into two groups and then proceeded to exclude and oppress one group. It is only fair that the solution to the problem acknowledge that.

In this essay -- adapted from her TEDx talk of the same name -- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, award-winning author of Americanah, offers readers a unique definition of feminism for the twenty-first century, one rooted in inclusion and awareness. Drawing extensively on her own experiences and her understanding of the often masked realities of sexual politics, here is one remarkable author's exploration of what it means to be a woman now -- and an of-the-moment rallying cry for why we should all be feminists.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,106,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible