We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda…

We Should All Be Feminists (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Author)

In this essay -- adapted from her TEDx talk of the same name -- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, award-winning author of Americanah, offers readers a unique definition of feminism for the twenty-first century, one rooted in inclusion and awareness. Drawing extensively on her own experiences and her understanding of the often masked realities of sexual politics, here is one remarkable author's exploration of what it means to be a woman now -- and an of-the-moment rallying cry for why we should all be feminists.… (more)
Member:BoraErden
Title:We Should All Be Feminists
Authors:Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Author)
Info:Anchor Books (2015), Edition: Reprint, 64 pages

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2014)

English (114)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (116)
Zinvol en noodzakelijk, geen twijfel aan.
Lost de hoog opgepompte verwachtingen niet helemaal in, maar dat doet dan weer niets af aan de inhoudelijke kwaliteit.
Kost je 30-40min van je leven, en die zijn wel besteed. ( )
  GertDeBie | Mar 22, 2021 |
Adichie's voice on the audiobook is great - when I normally don't like authors reading their books - notably novels. It's like hearing her chat about her views on Feminism and Life on late night radio. I found her examples pertaining to Nigeria were particularly interesting - whether to show that women's experience is much the same the world over, or to show a different perspective. ( )
  Okies | Mar 10, 2021 |
Edit (11/16/20): I cannot, in good conscious, give this book anything higher than two stars, in light of Adichie's continued transphobia, which is also heavily evident in this book. And that's being generous.

Read this Twitter thread by author Akwaeke Emezi for more context, and then read Emezi's FRESHWATER or PET instead of this one.

Original review: I liked it. I think it's a fantastic introduction to feminism and has a lot of strong writing and beautiful storytelling in it. I just dislike the biological aspects of it, and the reinforcement of the gender binary throughout it (which, given her recent comments on trans women, isn't that surprising, but still disheartening). Still, it's a quick read and I already know several people I'd like to lend my copy out to. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
This essay would be much better if it didn't ignore and erase the existence of trans folks and gay people. ( )
  lemontwist | Feb 19, 2021 |
3.5 stars

This is definitely worth reading. It draws attention to certain things. The author is from Africa and a lot of what it is about is there. Reading it and letting it soak in as a good way to make a conscious effort going forward. I think this is at least as much for a man to read as a woman. Some of it is about little things a man can do and acknowledge. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Feb 17, 2021 |

Adichie, Chimamanda Ngoziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spinelli, FrancescaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wong, JoanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction
This is a modified version of a talk I delivered in December 2012 at TEDxEuston, a yearly conference focused on Africa.
Okoloma was one of my greatest childhood friends.
These are little things, but sometimes it is the little things that sting the most.
Masculinity is a hard, small cage, and we put boys inside this cage.
But by far the worst thing we do to males—by making them feel they have to be hard—is that we leave them with very fragile egos. The harder a man feels compelled to be, the weaker his ego is.

And then we do a much greater disservice to girls, because we raise them to cater to the fragile egos of males.
The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations.
For centuries, the world divided human beings into two groups and then proceeded to exclude and oppress one group. It is only fair that the solution to the problem acknowledge that.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,057,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible