The Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward Gorey

The Gashlycrumb Tinies (1963)

by Edward Gorey

English (38)  French (1)  All (39)
The kind of dark, yet humourous book that can only come from Edward Gorey. ( )
  ethanlu121 | Apr 28, 2016 |
Reminded me of the sense of humor found in Roald Dahl's writing, and that is clearly a good thing. ( )
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
My very favorite of Edward Gorey's writings. I even had "B" airbrushed on a shirt. ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |
  ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
For Helne
A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs

One of the most famous of the grim humor kids' books. "A is for Amy who fell down the stairs." etc.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0151003084, Hardcover)

"A is for Amy who fell down the stairs. B is for Basil assaulted by bears. C is for Clara who wasted away. D is for Desmond thrown out of a sleigh..." The rhyming couplets of this grim abecedarian are familiar, of course, to devotees of macabre humor, but the darkly crosshatched drawings are (as Poe put it) "the soul of the plot." Several years went by during which The Gashlycrumb Tinies: Or, After the Outing was not available in a small hardcover edition like this one, which is the true format for Edward Gorey's specialty, the adult picture book. (For those who wish to share the gloom there's a 10-copy assortment with The Curious Sofa.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:56 -0400)

Drawings show an alphabet of young victims and how they died.

Legacy Library: Edward Gorey

Edward Gorey has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Edward Gorey's legacy profile.

See Edward Gorey's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,758,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible