The Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward Gorey

The Gashlycrumb Tinies (1963)

by Edward Gorey

Recently added byCeiteag, ThosD, mdumez, joralv, lisan., heather_hexe, rickyrickyricky, MSMCroll, private library

English (32)  French (1)  All languages (33)
From 'Amy' to 'Zillah', October 22, 2014

This review is from: The Gashlycrumb Tinies (Hardcover)
I'd never heard of Edward Gorey till this book was a recent Amazon recommendation when I purchased 'Struwwelpeter'.
It's an absolutely hilarious alphabet of twenty-six children who each come to a different sticky end. Who could forget
"F is for Fanny sucked dry by a leech" or
"J is for James who took lye by mistake".
A b/w illustration accompanies each - I was particularly taken by the eerie one of "Winnie, embedded in ice."
A wonderful book for adults or older kids alike ( )
  starbox | Oct 22, 2014 |
A ghastly little treat that brings new friends together. Just do it. Give this book to someone you're just getting to know- use it as a litmus test of sorts to see if he's as twisted as you are. Gorey's poetic litany of death will quickly weed out those you might wish to know from those you do not. How do I know? A new friend at a new job gave this to me fifteen years ago, and it was instant kismet. ( )
1 vote imaginarian | Jun 27, 2014 |
I just love it. ( )
  MargaretArmour | Dec 28, 2013 |
"Why are you making me read this?" my seven-year-old niece asked in a shriek. "This is about kids getting killed in different ways!"

"It's funny!" I laughed. " Keep reading!"

"I don't even know what some of these words mean! You are a terrible aunt!"

"Read to me!"

And darned if this isn't the book Karis remembers best of all regarding the summer she visited her dizzy Aunt V.V. in Birmingham. The tradition of passing on warped literature to younger generations continues. ( )
3 vote quillmenow | Oct 19, 2013 |
This macabre collection of 26 illustrations, one for every letter of the alphabet, is presented in the manner of a child's bedtime story, while being intended (I hope) for adults.
There are oh so many ways for little children to meet untimely deaths, and this book offers up some rather horrible demises.

There are some relatively plausible deaths, such as poor Amy who "fell down the stairs," or Ernest who "choked on a peach." Other children are "consumed by fire" or even swallow tacks - ouch.

Other deaths seem far more terrible - such as Fanny being "sucked dry by a leech," Una who "slipped down a drain," or Xerxes, "devoured by mice."

The illustrations, done in black and white crosshatching (most contain more black than white) are gloomy with more than just a touch of whimsical innocence, which is what gives them their creepy loveliness.
The most graphic of the illustrations is probably that of poor Kate, "struck with an axe," who is lying flat on the ground, eyes in twin X's, with an enormous axe sticking out of her chest, complete with blood.

Another reviewer mentioned that this would make a perfect bedtime story for the Adams Family parents, and it's so dead on, I had to mention it here.

A hilariously morbid book! For anyone with even a trace of a dark sense of humor, this is a gem. ( )
2 vote joririchardson | Sep 22, 2013 |
For Helne
A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs

One of the most famous of the grim humor kids' books. "A is for Amy who fell down the stairs." etc.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0151003084, Hardcover)

"A is for Amy who fell down the stairs. B is for Basil assaulted by bears. C is for Clara who wasted away. D is for Desmond thrown out of a sleigh..." The rhyming couplets of this grim abecedarian are familiar, of course, to devotees of macabre humor, but the darkly crosshatched drawings are (as Poe put it) "the soul of the plot." Several years went by during which The Gashlycrumb Tinies: Or, After the Outing was not available in a small hardcover edition like this one, which is the true format for Edward Gorey's specialty, the adult picture book. (For those who wish to share the gloom there's a 10-copy assortment with The Curious Sofa.)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:14 -0400)

Drawings show an alphabet of young victims and how they died.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,026,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible