The Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer

The Girl in the Red Coat (original 2015; edition 2017)

by Kate Hamer (Author)

Eight-year-old Carmel has always been different--sensitive, distracted, with an heart-stopping tendency to go missing. Her mother Beth, newly single, worries about her daughter's strangeness, especially as she is trying to build a new life for the two of them. When she takes Carmel to a local festival, her worst fear is realized: Carmel disappears into the crowd. Unable to accept the possibility that her daughter might be gone forever, Beth embarks on a mission to find her. Meanwhile, Carmel begins an extraordinary and terrifying journey of her own. But do the real clues to Carmel's disappearance lie in the otherworldly qualities her mother had only begun to guess at? --Publisher.… (more)
Member:paulmorriss
Title:The Girl in the Red Coat
Authors:Kate Hamer (Author)
Info:Melville House (2017), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer (2015)

English (34)  Dutch (1)  All languages (35)
Well worth a read ( )
  karenshann | Dec 31, 2019 |
This book is about a missing child every mother's worst nightmare. It was a difficult read as a mother because it is just hard subject matter. Hamer kept me engrossed because I did not lose hope that they would eventually be reunited. I loved how Beth's relationship with Paul & Lucy developed. I loved that her relationship with her parents also healed. Beth was a character that was so easy to feel empathy for but I really loved that she found her strength and was able to return to school find a career helping others and I loved the reunion at the end. ( )
  Thelmajean | Nov 29, 2019 |
A bit of magic realism pops up in the middle of the mystery adding to the story and the suspense. Not at all what was expected, but surprising and clever. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Jun 28, 2019 |
I'm really torn about this novel. The writing is beautiful and engaging - there's no question about that. It kept my attention the whole time - no question about that either. My three star review of the book really boils down to two reasons: the Jesus factor and the ending.

I wouldn't say that The Girl in the Red Coat is Jesus-y, but there were times when I had to stop and contemplate whether or not there was a Christian agenda being pushed. The truth is, I'm not really sure either way. Does Carmel really have healing powers even though her kidnappers are frauds? I want the answer to be no; or rather I'd like for Kate Hamer to have made the answer clearly no.

As for the ending - I wanted more. I wanted to see the next 10 minutes of that scene. Purely selfish of me, but i wanted a little bit of closure and coming to terms. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
Amazing and disturbing and I didn't want it to end. Wow! ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
For Mark
I dream about Carmel often.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,624,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible