Don't let the pigeon drive the bus! by Mo…

Don't let the pigeon drive the bus! (2003)

by Mo Willems

I really enjoyed this book. Mo Williams illustrates his writing perfectly. the illustrations really connect with the characters expressions. The illustrations are always simple although very effective. The illustrations work with the words as they both pull the reader into the story. As the pigeon begs to drive the bus the reader is obligated not to let him. At one point the pigeon goes in to a range exclaiming "LET ME DRIVE THE BUS!" Overall, the moral of this story is to follow your dreams, are the end of the story the reader sees the pigeon upgrade his dream from the bus to a truck.
  achamb15 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Pigeon wants to drive the bus. The driver of the bus is told that no matter what do not let the pigeon drive the bus. Very funny. There is a series of these books.
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 27, 2015 |
This is a very simple tale of a pigeon wanting to drive a city bus. The pigeon is extremely persistent. He uses a variety of emotions to try to persuade someone to let him drive the bus. He gets angry, clever and even sly. Kids would enjoy the repetitiveness. It would be good for use with children in preschool or kindergarten. You could assess the different punctuation marks used in each line and maybe figure out the mood of the pigeon based on these marks. It could also help with fluency and rhythm in reading. It might be fun for all. It could also be used to model that tantrums do not pay off. ( )
  lpierson14 | Feb 25, 2015 |
This fantasy book is about a little pigeon that is trying his hardest to get you (the reader) to let him drive the bus, even though at the beggining of the book, the bus driver gave clear instructions to not let him drive it. He tries so very hard to get to drive the bus but then the bus driver comes back and he is sad. Then he sees a semi-truck and you can tell that all he is thinking about now is being able to drive that truck. ( )
  kfrost32 | Feb 24, 2015 |
I enjoyed some parts of this book, however there were also some parts I did not like. I liked the illustrations the pigeon was very cute. I also liked how the text was written in speech bubbles because this is visually appealing to children. The last thing I liked was how in parts the author gives great descriptions so you can envision what he is trying to say. For example, it says, "vroom, vroom, vroomy-vroom vroom". The reader can hear and envision the image by the author using these words. Something I did not like was that there was no real plot to the story. The main idea was that a pigeon wanted to drive a bus, but he could not. I also did not like how the story was unrealistic. ( )
  sfinke5 | Feb 23, 2015 |
For Cheryl
Hi! I'm the bus driver.

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:41 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

413 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,167,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible