Don't let the pigeon drive the bus! by Mo…

Don't let the pigeon drive the bus! (2003)

by Mo Willems

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! is my first encounter with Mo Willems and I must admit that not only did my children enjoy this book, but so did I. In a hectic day, it offered a few minutes of silly time together! ( )
  KMClark | Jul 23, 2014 |
When the bus driver steps away, the pigeon decides he wants to drive the bus. He begs and pleads and comes up with plenty of reasons why he should be allowed to drive it.

The first in the pigeon series, this Mo Willems book is sure to please. It's funny and entertaining, a great book for all ages. ( )
  lbblackwell | Jul 12, 2014 |
Personal Experience: The first time I read this book was last fall whenever my teacher brought it in to her classroom and read it to us (college students). I couldnt help but laugh when she finished reading this book and ever since then, I have wanted to pick it up again and read it. With this assignment, I did just that.
Summary: This book has humor and silliness that can be brought into any classroom of all ages. The story begins when a bus driver walks off the page and informs the reader to watch the bus and not to let the pigeon drive the bus. It is a great way to intereact with the reader by getting it in the readers point of view. The reader is able to feel like this is their own story because they are the ones who are responsible for not letting the pigeon drive the bus.The pigeon throws a fit throughout the book and begs and pleads to allow him to drive the bus. He screams and moans and makes allsorts of racket to get to drive this bus. It is great for imagination because the Pigeon did not obey the commands from the bus driver and within minutes, the bus driver returns angry and the Pigeon decides to spy on him.
Classroom Extensions: I could discuss responbility with the students and how the bus driver trusted them. I could have the students write a couple senteces and finish the story on what they think it should be.
  atinney16 | Jul 3, 2014 |
Summary: This book is about a pigeon who really wants to drive a bus but the bus driver will not let him.

Personal Reaction: This book is a very easy to read book. The interaction that the bus driver and pigeon have with the reader is superb. This book shows an example of anthropomorphism.

Extension Ideas: 1. Discussions regarding peer pressure can be discussed. 2. Discussion regarding the rules of following directions and what consequences a person may/may not have.
  dianehan | Jun 28, 2014 |
The first thing one has to know about this book is that it is HUGE. It is the largest book I have ever read. The story is a hoot. I love the pigeon's interaction with the reader. The author knows his subject (young children) very well. The ending is a hoot. I could read this book over and over again, never getting tired. ( )
  seki | Jun 27, 2014 |
For Cheryl
Hi! I'm the bus driver.

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:41 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

413 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,696,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible