Don't let the pigeon drive the bus! by Mo…

Don't let the pigeon drive the bus! (2003)

by Mo Willems

3,362None1,621 (4.45)50

This book is a short humorous encounter with a frustrated pigeon. I was surprised to learn it is a Caldecott Honor Award book. The pictures are very simple crayon drawings with little on the page. It isn't a story as much as it's a conversation between the pigeon and the reader.

A bus driver leaves and tells the reader "Don't let the pigeon drive the bus!" From that point on, the pigeon tries to convince the reader to allow him to drive the bus. Immediately after he experiences an emotional breakdown, the bus driver returns. He thanks the reader for keeping his vehicle safe. The dejected duck wanders away and then discovers a large transport truck. He concludes by imagining himself behind the wheel.

This book could be a good basis for discussion with a small child about not touching dangerous things and obeying safety rules. As well, pigeons excuses will certainly stimulate conversation about arguing. But, most of all, this book is good for a chuckle. Even though the drawings are extremely simple, we understand exactly how the pigeon feels. Recommended. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Apr 14, 2014 |
Great book to read aloud. Students love telling the Pigeon he's not allowed to drive! ( )
  kfh2 | Apr 4, 2014 |
This book was all about a pigeon who wanted to drive the bus and would constantly ask to drive the bus. I really did not like the book. It was super repetitive, and i could see how a child would maybe like it, since it was a really easy read, I just probably would not recommend it to any of my kids. ( )
  mariah21 | Apr 1, 2014 |
Great with younger kids especially is you get them involved with it. It is very funny to them. ( )
  ARamirez33 | Mar 30, 2014 |
Funny book. My daughter loves to yell "No Sir" everytime the pigeon asks to drive the bus. ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
For Cheryl
Hi! I'm the bus driver.

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:41 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

413 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible