Don't let the pigeon drive the bus! by Mo…

Don't let the pigeon drive the bus! (2003)

by Mo Willems

This book is about a pigeon who really wants to drive a bus . So he comes up with all of these reasons so he can drive it. Mo Willems writes the story so that it seems like he is talking to you .The pigeon is a very funny and not so convincing .You can start reading the book any where and you will still get the whole story !I really liked the story because it has a lot of humor in it and, it just makes you smile .It is an easy book to read band I recommend it to all of you . It is a great book so read it .
  myevzlin | May 11, 2015 |
The message shows that you should never leave unattended vehicles. People with ideas can get crazy even if they are not supposed to like the pigeon in the story. The book could be used in Kindergarten through second grade to show that they are too young to do certain things in life and not get ideas of trying to drive a motor vehicle because they wouldn't know how to operate one. If not trying to drive a vehicle but any other things in life they are too young for.
  biancagrhm | Apr 29, 2015 |
Not my favorite illustrated book. However, it does teach expression and voice well. The dialogue and the punctuation really help show how students should begin writing their sentences. ( )
  RaineyNicole | Apr 29, 2015 |
This is a fantastic book about voice. This is a great mentor text about how many various ways the author uses voice and expression within this story. This could be a great guide and full of ideas on how to incorporate voice and emotion into a story.
  mmg020 | Apr 28, 2015 |
This book is great for expression because there is a lot of variety in the way text is structured. Students like this story because they enjoy the pigeons antics while he is trying to decide if he should drive the bus. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | Apr 28, 2015 |
For Cheryl
Hi! I'm the bus driver.

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:41 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

413 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,257,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible