Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (2003)

by Mo Willems

English (453)  Spanish (1)  All languages (454)
This is such a cute book about a pigeon begging to drive a bus. I love how the author gives the reader a role in this book. The driver asks the reader to watch the bus and not let him drive it. Throughout the story, the pigeon is begging the reader to let him drive the bus. This is such a great interactive book that can make students feel important and excited about answering the pigeon. ( )
  cynthiahurtado | May 3, 2019 |
This book is about a pigeon that wants to drive the bus but the narrator will not let him because he is a pigeon. It is a playful book is written from a neat perspective and is interactive. I would use this book in a math class to give the students a mental break that is engaging during a time when they were learning something very difficult. ( )
  Elizabeth-Alaimo | Mar 17, 2019 |
This book takes a very interesting approach to writing a children's book. The book is talking to the reader. It keeps the child interacting with the characters in the book. It begins with the bus driver asking, "Hi, I'm the bus driver. Listen, I've got to leave for a little while, so can you watch things for me until I get back? Thanks. Oh, and remember... Don't let the pigeon drive the bus!" Having the reader feel responsible for what will then happen in the book will keep them invested. The text from the bird is very simple as well. It allows any age child to interact with the text. This book shows the importance of following rules. It also shows what it can feel like to a parent when you're not listening. The illustrations in the book were very simple. They provide what the reader needs to see but they're not very eye catching. Despite that the book is very fun to read and a child would love it. It results with the child keeping the bird off the bus and the bus driver coming to thank them. ( )
  sheiland1 | Mar 14, 2019 |
The creativity throughout this book is superb. From the very beginning of the title the reader is pulled in, as if you are a bystander on the street where the bus is parked. I wanted to jump back when the pigeon is introduced, as to say "Whoah, where did you come from little guy?" By the tone of this story I know if I were really talking to him he would have gave me a very long literal story of where he came from. I found it very interesting what the author did in this book. It seems as though it paused my life. I was there standing, guarding the bus from the pigeon waiting for the bus driver to get back. A couple of seconds everything around me waited, and entertained this pigeon with rejection of letting him drive the bus. I felt like I was given a responsibility, a job and I couldn't let the bus driver down. Very simple setting, very few words, one person, or shall I say pigeon dialogue and an entire fictional world existed. Amazing, Now I'm off to not let the pigeon drive that huge eighteen wheeler truck! Or then again maybe I will, because I mean if he can talk sure enough he can drive right, and he has a cousin that drives a bus too. ( )
  RavenM12 | Feb 28, 2019 |
This book is a great book for independent reading for the student, or even a shared reading with the class. It can help teach persuasive skills and it has a great premise for prediction. What might the pigeon say next? Will he get to drive the bus. Another great thing about this book is that Mo Willems does a great job including the reader. Although the pigeon is the main speaker, the audience can respond verbally. I gave this book 4 stars because it does not really have a good plotline that would be good to teach students about problem and solution. Most books have that, but this book is better used for other things. ( )
  aegebr1 | Feb 25, 2019 |

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,473,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible