Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series) (original 2003; edition 2012)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Member:klledet
Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series)
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, gr. k-3, persistence

Don't let the pigeon drive the bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

The book is about trying. Even if it didn't work the first time, doesn't mean you should give up. A great lessons for kids.
  Madison_DeWeerdt | Dec 4, 2014 |
I thought this story was so fun. It was really funny and a creative way to teach students the art of persuasion. ( )
  Andymcclellan_93 | Dec 4, 2014 |
I had mixed feelings after reading this book. I liked the book for a couple reasons, one being illustrations. The illustrations had a unique touch to it, it almost looked like it was popping out each page, and I certainly would say that the style fits the written text. The text is filled with many questions, and one word sentences, and I think the images popping of the page really enhanced the author's writing.

Another reason I liked this book was because it pushes readers to think of persistence. Throughout the whole book, the pigeon is always persistant, trying to get his way, and this is a great lesson to teach young readers, because sometimes things don't work out your way, but you never give up, nonetheless!

Branching off of the persistence factor, that is the main message displayed in this book. Willems is trying to say "just because something doesn't work the first time, doesn't mean its not worth another shot." It just goes to show that persistence goes a long way.

The only reason I didn't like this book was because it wasn't very believable. The whole story focused on a pigeon trying to get to drive a bus. I think animal characters in stories are not bad at all, but this book having no plot line really was my downside of this book. The whole goal of the story wasn't realistic to me, and that is why I had multiple feelings towards this book. ( )
  Skaide1 | Dec 3, 2014 |
I really liked this book because of how funny and well written the story is. It is a great book about a persistent pigeon that really wants to drive the bus. The illustrations are so creative and really humorous and adds to the books appeal. The plot is paced really well, and the language is descriptive. The book doesn't make the reader think about much, but may make them enjoy reading. ( )
  tburfe1 | Dec 2, 2014 |
This book is great for teaching students how to read punctuation with the same expression the author wants them to. Reading punctuation with correct expression will help them become fluent readers. ( )
  Spinea1 | Nov 29, 2014 |
For Cheryl
Hi! I'm the bus driver.

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:41 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

413 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,335,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible