Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series) (original 2003; edition 2012)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Member:klledet
Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series)
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, gr. k-3, persistence

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

English (378)  Spanish (1)  All (379)
This book is about a crazy little pigeon who just wants to drive a bus, but the bus driver won't let him. This book is quite adorable and funny, and I really enjoy it. ( )
  mackenzieblizzard | Feb 23, 2017 |
This book is a good fantasy book because of the hilarious pictures and imagery throughout it that cause the reader to connect with the book. This book does a great job at keeping the audience engaged and has a great theme/message that when someone asks you to do something, you should follow through and listen. It will keep children on their toes as they interact and make connections with the book. Other themes included are; cooperation, leadership, and responsibility. It teaches the reader the emphasis on how important it is to do the right thing and how to say "no."
  mcortner15 | Feb 19, 2017 |
A book where you tell the pigeon no is a great idea, and the bus driver here has a Phil Hartman kind of verve that complements the pigeon's wheedling nicely. The best is that it doesn't really hang on your kid understanding exactly when to give a response--the book manages to fly by whether there's nos or no nos and the silences between pigeon pleadings don't seem like awkward silences but just like ... pacing. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Feb 19, 2017 |
This book is great for infants. It has some humorous parts that will leave the children laughing. ( )
  hermione8665 | Feb 17, 2017 |
This is a great fantacy book because the settings are beliveable and the words are consistant to the created world. A blue pigeon begs the reader to let him drive the bus while the bus driver is gone. He implores, promises, whines, begs, bribes in order to get his chance. He says things like, ‘I bet your mom would let me’ or ‘I have dreams you know’.... After the bus drives , leaving the pigeon looking dejected,a semi drives up, the pigeon looks at it, and says, ‘Hey...,’ and the end papers of the book have the pigeon smiling, eyes closed as he envisions himself driving a semi. ( )
  SSilvia | Feb 13, 2017 |

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

394 wanted1 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,553,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible