Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series) (original 2003; edition 2012)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Member:klledet
Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series)
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, gr. k-3, persistence

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

English (330)  Spanish (1)  All languages (331)
This simplistic book engages the reader by giving them an assignment: don't let the pigeon drive the bus. The pigeon tries relentlessly to persuade the reader to let him, which mimics the behavior of a young child. He even throws a tantrum when he can't get him way. This emotion, like a child's, is fleeting as he sets his sights on the tractor trailer at the end of the book.
  carrier3 | Apr 21, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I like the book because of the plot of the story and how the pigeon tries to convince someone to let him drive the bus even though he is not allowed to. The driver gave specific instructions not to let the pigeon drive the bus and throughout the story, the pigeon bribe, begs and pleads to drive the bus but the unknown person follows the directions and continues to refuse. The book gave very realistic excuses someone might say to convince a person to let them do something like, "I'll give you $5" or "Please? I'll be careful" or "No fair!" or "What's the big deal?" or "I bet your mom would let me." I also like how the illustrations follow the plot. It accurately demonstrates the frustration that the pigeon is experiencing. I did not like how the book made it seem like the pigeon was talking to someone else but that other person never spoke so you do not know how they were denying the pigeons request. I think it would've been more effective if there was another character demonstrating how to say no. But this also gives the students in the class the opportunity to practice saying "no" themselves as the teacher reads the story. The main idea of this book is to show children that it's okay to say no if you know you would be doing something wrong and to not give into peer pressure. All of the excuses the pigeon was saying are things children may hear everyday by their peers when they try to pressure them. The story reinforces the idea that it's wrong to pressure others and that it's okay to keep saying no. ( )
  amyadams19 | Apr 17, 2016 |
This simple, yet interactive picture book, is great for teaching young children listening skills. The story begins with the bus driver warning not to let the pigeon drive the bus. Then the pigeon comes along and begs to drive the bus. Each time the pigeon asks to drive, the audience can play along and shout "No!"
I read this with my step son, whom is in first grade, and he absolutely loved it. I strongly suggest reading this with pre-K through 1st grade children, as they often have a hard time listening to a whole story. It is very engaging and fun! ( )
  srmorgan | Apr 17, 2016 |
With only a few simple lines and a minimal amount of dialogue, Mo Willems has created a memorable character in this coniving pigeon who will do anything to drive a bus. Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus utilizes simple line drawings in light, cool-toned hues.The book really is funny, and so are the illustrations! I think what is so great about this book is that it is interactive, so it feel like you are talking to the pigeon which is great. I think that this would just be a great book to use in your classroom for a laugh, and then there are so many of them, that you could compare all of them.
Genre: Fantasy
Media: Charcoal and Computer drawings? I am not sure! ( )
  epatt14 | Apr 15, 2016 |
The bus driver decides to take a break from his job, and someone volunteers to drive the bus. ( )
  lindy_brooke | Apr 12, 2016 |

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

433 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,254,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible