Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series) (original 2003; edition 2012)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Member:klledet
Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series)
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, gr. k-3, persistence

Don't let the pigeon drive the bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems was a very short book. It is about a pigeon who constantly asks to drive a bus. He goes through a series of why's and even goes as far as to bribery in order to drive the bus. The book is quite humorous and I think that it is a great book to read to elementary schoolers and it is very entertaining. Children will not learn much, but they will definitely be entertained. ( )
  Nijania | Nov 18, 2014 |
I liked this book! I liked the plot, although, it was very short because it was humorous. In the book, the bus driver takes a break. He tells the passengers on the bus, "Don't let the pigeon drive the bus!" However, the only thing the pigeon wants to do is drive the bus. His desire to drive the bus is definitely not a secret! He begs the passengers on the bus by saying things such as, “My cousin Herb drives a bus almost every day!” The passengers do not budge and the pigeon finally goes crazy and says, "LET ME DRIVE THE BUS!" When the bus driver returns, the pigeon sneaks away. I loved the illustrations! They looked as if they were drawn with crayon. On some of the pages, there are no words at all. I also liked this book because the entire time, I wanted to keep turning the page to see what was going to happen next. There is no overall message to this book but I definitely recommend it! With the funny plot and relatable illustrations, it definitely keeps any aged reader engaged and entertained. ( )
  molliewaugh | Nov 18, 2014 |
Summary: The driver of the bus leaves for a little while and asks the readers to watch the bus and make sure that the pigeon does not drive the bus. For the rest of the story the pigeon tries to get permission from the audience to drive the bus.

Evaluation/Argument: I was not too impressed with this book. The book was very simple with its text and illustrations, but I felt like it was almost too repetitive.This story was very repetitive with the pigeon trying to get permission to drive the bus. One thing I did like about this book was the way the author got the readers involved by allowing the pigeon to have a conversation with the readers. Throughout the whole book the pigeon was conversing back and forth with readers about why he felt he should be allowed to drive the bus. One instance of this is when the pigeon says, “Please? I’ll be careful.” The pigeon is trying to show readers and defend his reasoning behind driving the bus. I saw the text and illustrations as very simple, which could lead young children to truly enjoy this book. With the contents being simpler than I am use to with children’s stories, readers can find themselves being that much more involved with the characters.
The central message of this story is to listen and follow the instructions given. The readers were instructed by the bus driver to not let the pigeon drive the bus. By following the directions that were given childen can learn the importance of listening and practice this by reading the book. Readers will be able to come away from this book with a deeper understanding of the questioning skills used by the pigeon throughout this book. ( )
  mwade4 | Sep 29, 2014 |
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is such a cute story for the younger grades. I really enjoyed the illustrations in this story. The illustrations helped enhance the story and they help set the mood for the reader. I also really enjoyed the characters. Even though there is a pigeon talking, the author made the pigeon believable and entertaining. I also really enjoyed this story because it forces kids to have an imagination. Obviously a pigeon cannot drive a bus but it is always fun to be open minded and creative. So I think the main idea for this story is to always be creative and to never lose your imagination. This story pushes children to think outside the box. ( )
  ckenne17 | Sep 23, 2014 |
Summary: A story about a pigeons pleas to drive a bus. The pigeon engages the reader over and over begging to drive the bus, saying things often said by children when they are refused something. The bus driver makes it back and thanks the reader for helping him but the pigeon isn't finished just yet.

Personal reaction: This story is too cute. I love how Mo Willems really captured a young child's tantrum. The illustrations are my favorite part of this book because the pigeon peeks out at the reader on the page and is really animated in his attempt to convince the reader to let him drive the bus.

Extension: I would love to read this to my daughter, who is three, or even a pre-school class. After reading the book I would try and see if whenever my daughter is throwing a similar tantrum I would just simply say " Don't Be A Pigeon". I think I could make it fun for her and hopefully have her make the connection. ( )
  AshleyCox | Sep 17, 2014 |
For Cheryl
Hi! I'm the bus driver.

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:41 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

413 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,035,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible