Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series) (original 2003; edition 2012)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Member:klledet
Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series)
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, gr. k-3, persistence

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

English (346)  Spanish (1)  All languages (347)
This is a clever interactive book that involves the audience through asking them to be responsible for the pigeon. The illustrations are simple but the authors style is so unique that children really feel as if they are responsible for keeping the pigeon from driving the bus. This book is in a series of "Don't Let the Pigeon..." and are so popular right now with younger children. ( )
  celutz8191 | Sep 25, 2016 |
This story is a wonderful, unique children's story that keeps even young audiences engaged. The message behind this story is applicable for students of all ages, as it explains that when someone asks you to do something, you should keep your word. I would recommend that teachers, especially teachers of younger grade levels, keep this book in their classroom library, as it is an easy and interactive read for students. This cute story keeps children engaged with the comic-like illustrations and interactive text. ( )
  hannahlowe | Sep 25, 2016 |
This book is a great book with well illustrated pictures. It has very little text so it allows students to look at pictures and find clues from the pictures. ( )
  SarahA5752 | Sep 19, 2016 |
A picture book about a pigeon who tries to convince the reader to let him drive the bus.
  mackenziespiering | Sep 9, 2016 |
Summary: A bus driver tells the audience he is leaving and our only direction is not to let the pigeon drive the bus! That ornery pigeon tries to convince in many ways that he NEEDS to drive the bus. Although he has constant begging and pleading, his wish to drive the bus does not come true. The driver comes back and the pigeon leaves feeling disappointed until he spots a semi-truck. It ends with a picture of him driving the truck.

Personal reaction: This is a fun book to read because you really have to pay attention to the punctuation being used. It is the pigeon talking and begging the audience the entire book to let him drive the bus. I like getting to "act-out" the pigeon's tone and voice with my kindergartners! They think it is hilarious!

Classroom extension ideas: You can use this story with a graphing lesson. Make a class graph with the question "Would you let the pigeon drive the bus?" Have them answer yes/no and then discuss the results of the graph. Which one has the most? Least? Go even further into the math lesson with how many more would __ need to be equal?
  Morgan.Nelson | Sep 8, 2016 |

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

394 wanted1 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,247,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible