Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series) (original 2003; edition 2012)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Member:klledet
Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series)
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, gr. k-3, persistence

Don't let the pigeon drive the bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

Summary: A story about a pigeons pleas to drive a bus. The pigeon engages the reader over and over begging to drive the bus, saying things often said by children when they are refused something. The bus driver makes it back and thanks the reader for helping him but the pigeon isn't finished just yet.

Personal reaction: This story is too cute. I love how Mo Willems really captured a young child's tantrum. The illustrations are my favorite part of this book because the pigeon peeks out at the reader on the page and is really animated in his attempt to convince the reader to let him drive the bus.

Extension: I would love to read this to my daughter, who is three, or even a pre-school class. After reading the book I would try and see if whenever my daughter is throwing a similar tantrum I would just simply say " Don't Be A Pigeon". I think I could make it fun for her and hopefully have her make the connection. ( )
  AshleyCox | Sep 17, 2014 |
Summary:
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is a children's picture book. In this book the bus driver takes a break from driving his bus and has one request of readers: "Don't let the pigeon drive the bus!" However, the only thing the pigeon wants to do is drive the bus and he makes it known. The pigeon begs and pleads with readers throughout the book to let him drive the bus until he finally looses it and in a fit screams, "LET ME DRIVE THE BUS!" When the bus driver returns the pigeon sneaks away and spots a big red tractor that he starts daydreaming about.

Personal Summary:
Overall I really like this children's picture book. I think the author perfectly captures most young children's temper tantrums through the pigeon's meltdown. I like that when reading this book the characters are speaking directly to you and who you are reading to. I feel like children will enjoy being able to answer back to the pigeon telling him that he cannot drive the bus.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Use this as an opportunity to discuss with students that they may not always get their way and they should not react the same way the pigeon did. Talk about appropriate things to do when they get upset like counting to ten or taking deep breaths until they are ready to talk about what they want like a big boy or a big girl.
2. Teach students how to draw the pigeon in the book using different shapes. Use circles for the eyes and head, a triangle for the beak, and a rectangle for the neck.
  SydneySays | Sep 14, 2014 |
I was not too impressed with this book. The book was very simple with its text and illustrations, but I felt like it was almost too repetitive. ( )
  mwade4 | Aug 31, 2014 |
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! is my first encounter with Mo Willems and I must admit that not only did my children enjoy this book, but so did I. In a hectic day, it offered a few minutes of silly time together! ( )
  KMClark | Jul 23, 2014 |
When the bus driver steps away, the pigeon decides he wants to drive the bus. He begs and pleads and comes up with plenty of reasons why he should be allowed to drive it.

The first in the pigeon series, this Mo Willems book is sure to please. It's funny and entertaining, a great book for all ages. ( )
  lbblackwell | Jul 12, 2014 |
For Cheryl
Hi! I'm the bus driver.

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:41 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

413 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,781,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible