Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series) (original 2003; edition 2012)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Member:klledet
Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series)
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, gr. k-3, persistence

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

English (397)  Spanish (1)  All (398)
The only book I ended up buying at Logos Hope.

I bought this ostensibly for my future child, but I giggled quietly to myself during and after reading. Really enjoyed this. Can't wait to read this out loud with a kid. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
The bus driver takes a break from his route and a pigeon volunteers to help... not a great idea. This book has a repetitive answer so kids can join in and help follow along. Very adorable and humorous book that would be great for elementary level kiddos. I would read aloud this book in my classroom for children to learn about good and bad attitudes and discuss what the pigeon should do. ( )
  KalleyNeidermire | May 8, 2017 |
"DOn't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is about a bus driver who has to leave so he asks the reader to not allow the pigeon to drive the bus. The pigeon tries many excuses and tries to finagle readers into letting it drive the bus.
  audreybusch | May 3, 2017 |
The bus driver says not to let the pigeon drive the bus. However, the pigeon has plenty of reasons why he thinks you should let him drive the bus. This book is an interactive book that encourages audience interaction. The silly ways the pigeon tries to get the reader to let him drive the bus are very interesting and sure to keep the audience engaged. ( )
  Cayetlin_Hardeman | May 1, 2017 |
This is one of my favorite books, actually this is one of my favorite series of books and Mo Willems does an excellent job defining this character. Would you let a pigeon drive a bus? Probably not. The author really wants you to say no to The Pigeon, but he also understands how persuasive and emotional The Pigeon can be. The tone of this book is hilarious and the plot is even better. This book is a recommend to any parent or teacher that is tired of reading traditional picture books to their kids and just wants to have a bit of fun. ( )
  Ashleyville | Apr 24, 2017 |

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,331,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible