Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series) (original 2003; edition 2012)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Member:klledet
Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series)
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, gr. k-3, persistence

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

English (369)  Spanish (1)  All (370)
This books is about a bus driver that has to leave and asks the reader to not let the pigeon drive the bus. ( )
  AimeeSword | Jan 18, 2017 |
This book starts off with the bus driver telling the reader to not let the pigeon drive his bus. Throughout the book the pigeon tries to convince the reader to let him drive the bus in every way possible. The bus driver comes back and the pigeon is very disappointed. However, at the end of the book the pigeon finds a truck that is unoccupied that he may or may not have driven. The pictures are very cute and I think this is a good picture book for young readers. ( )
  MadisonLynn | Jan 15, 2017 |
a little pigeon really wants to drive the bus and tries to convince the reader to let him. well he eventually just drives the bus without permission
1 book
  TUCC | Jan 13, 2017 |
This is a fantastical story in which a pigeon talks directly to the reader and tries to convince them that he should drive a bus. Part of a Mo Willem's series, this is just one of many hilarious predicaments the pigeon gets himself into. Will you be convinced?

Teaching Connections: speech bubbles, punctuation, character traits, predicting, retelling

Website Resources:

Lesson Plans & Ideas
http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/library/books/dont-let-the-pigeon-drive-the-bus ( )
  EmmaNicolazzo | Dec 15, 2016 |
Summary

The book begins with the bus driver saying he has to leave and asking the reader to watch things until he gets back. He asked the reader not to let the pigeon drive the bus. After he leaves a pigeon enters and asks to drive the bus. He begged and pleaded and came up with stories and examples to convince the reader to let him drive the bus. The driver comes back and thanks the reader for not letting the pigeon drive the bus. The pigeon walks away with head hung low seeming very dejected. However the pigeon comes upon a truck with no driver in it and got an idea. The book ends with the pigeon driving away in the truck.

Critique

The writer used a very effective strategy in getting the reader involved in the story. As a reader I got the sense that the bus driver and the pigeon were talking directly to me throughout the book. Tension mounted as the pigeon begged and pleaded to drive the bus. I even felt relieved when the bus driver returned and, supposedly, I did not allow the pigeon to drive the bus. This was a great strategy to keep the reader engaged.

Prompts

p.8 Have students respond to the pigeon's question
P.18 - How do you feel when the pigeon says, "I never get to do anything!" Does it make you feel like giving in?
P25-26 - What does the style and size of the writing tell us about how the pigeon is feeling?

Craft Element for Mini Lesson

The book was written as a cpmic. Use this style to tell a story about something you really wanted to do but couldn't.
  deeprincess | Dec 8, 2016 |

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

394 wanted1 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,811,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible