Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series) (original 2003; edition 2012)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Big Book Edition) (Pigeon Series)
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Tags:easy, gr. k-3, persistence

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

The illustrations in this book are hilarious. I especially love the part when the pigeon yells, "LET ME DRIVE THE BUS!!!" The pigeon persistently tries to persuade the reader to let him drive the bus. The pigeon books are unique and hilarious books filled with witty humor. ( )
  ashleypierce | Nov 29, 2015 |
So I finally got to read the infamous Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus book!!! And I must say it was extremely cute and creative. Absolutely loved the use of crayon drawings, I feel like kids would too. I think that this is a good interactive book that would really get young children involved. The pigeon seems like a dreamer and a schemer and I wish I had more of (his/her?) books to read. ( )
  kesteves | Nov 29, 2015 |
I greatly enjoyed this modern fantasy story about a pigeon who wants to drive a bus. This was a modern fantasy because it was set in modern times, however a pigeon will never drive a bus, so that is not realistic, and must be fantasy. This story was the one I used for my mentor text for teaching quotation marks to students. This story also offered good practice for saying no and avoiding peer pressure with younger students. This is definitely a book I would use educationally in my classroom because it is simple, so it would differentiate well, however the message it sends is good and students could practice a lot of different things using this book as a mentor text. ( )
  sommerkirk | Nov 24, 2015 |

Lexile® Measure: 120L

DRA: 16

Guided Reading: I
  emmabartlett | Nov 21, 2015 |
Pigeon wants to drive the bus. It's the readers job to tell pigeon he can't drive the bus. A cute interactive book that kids (and I) love!

I love how simple pigeon is. Anyone can draw him! ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

433 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,948,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible