Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Member:Brendafloreslopez
Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Press (2003), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*
Tags:Caldecott book, persuading, interactive, pigeon, bus driver, silly, funny

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

English (315)  Spanish (1)  All languages (316)
Summary:
This picture book is about a pigeon who is trying to do anything in his power to drive a bus! As everyone knows...while the bus driver is away, the pigeon will play! This sneaky pigeon even goes so far as to include the readers with him throughout his adventure. In the beginning of the story, the bus driver explicitly tells the reader to not under any circumstances let the pigeon drive the bus, so of course after he leaves that is exactly what the pigeon does. He begs and pleads, and finally when the reader continues to deny him, he gets very angry and begins to yell. Finally in the end when the bus driver returns, the pigeon changes his mind to wanting to drive a semi truck!

Personal Reaction:
I absolutely love this story. It is one that I know very well. My own children have loved this story and the pigeon character since they were in daycare. The illustrations are so simple, yet so fun. And the way Mr. Willems involves the readers in this story by encouraging them to answer at certain parts of the story is so great. This is definitely an author and character that I love hearing has come out with a new book!

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1). Have the children read several of Mo Willems pigeon books to get an understanding of the format of his books. Once they know how his stories flow, let them write their own pigeon books. For example: Instead of a Pigeon Wants a Puppy, the students may write a story about a Pigeon Wants a Girlfriend or The Pigeon Wants A Toy! ( )
  Toods | Feb 8, 2016 |
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is about a pigeon who wants to drive the bus while the bus driver is away. The book interacts with the reader. Through-out the book the pigeon is literally begging the reader to let him drive the bus after the bus drive told the reader not to. The author's illustrations are very simple with the use of simple lines and muted colors. As part of the illustrations the author chose to put the pigeon's dialog into speech bubbles which added to the feel of hold a conversation with the reader. I enjoyed the book and I feel as though a classroom of students would enjoy telling the pigeon he can drive the bus. ( )
  TiffanyA | Jan 28, 2016 |
Mo Willems wrote this book in a way that the characters are speaking to the reader rather than to each other, which is unique and interesting. The bus driver says “don’t let the pigeon drive the bus,” and the majority of the rest of the book includes the pigeon trying to convince the reader to let him ride the bus. Mo Willems gets all of this across through words, but readers will learn about the deeper emotions through the art of expression. Willems uses different color and lines to get these emotions across. Mo Willems is an author and illustrator that I admire. It looks as if he used crayons to create some of the illustrations. They are simple, but definitely add a lot to the story! ( )
  cedoyle | Jan 27, 2016 |
The "pigeon" books as my patrons call them are so fun to read. Because they offer interaction between reader and listener, they make for a terrific read aloud with preschool and early elementary library visitors.
Curricular Connections:
* A study of children's authors
*Definite read aloud choice
*Study of Caldecott Honor books
  JulieBFEL | Jan 27, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book for its versatility. It is very simple, yet not aimed at one particular age. In its simplicity, it's still a very well rounded book, even though it doesn't contain a typical plot structure. This book is really entertaining, and can be used to teach very important lessons, like how to say no, or - quite the opposite - how to form an argument. ( )
  ShelbyEllis | Jan 27, 2016 |

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

433 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,149,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible