Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Member:Brendafloreslopez
Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Press (2003), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*
Tags:Caldecott book, persuading, interactive, pigeon, bus driver, silly, funny

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

English (399)  Spanish (1)  All (400)
A fun easy to read tale about a bus driver who needs someone to watch his bus. The pigeon has many examples of why he should drive the bus. When he isn’t able to he throws a tantrum. Cute illustrations add to the fun of the book.
  cwumluna | Jul 15, 2017 |
Summary: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Is about a pigeon who pleads with the reader to please, please, please let him drive the bus when the Bus Driver leaves the reader in charge of watching the pigeon. The pigeon tries many ways to persuade the reader, and at the end the bus driver returns, only to discover that the pigeon has a new idea in mind about what to drive next.

Personal Connection: I LOVE all of the Pigeon books! They are easy to read, and so much is said (without being said) in the illustrations to depict characters feelings and actions. This book is enjoyable to read even as an adult, as we can all relate to a child or young one asking, asking, and asking and seeming to come up with every excuse to get their way.

Extras: -Caldecott Honor Book, American Library Association Notable Book, a National Council of Teachers of English Notable Book, a Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books Blue Ribbon Book, and a South Carolina Picture Book Award winner
-An animated adaptation of the book won the 2010 Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Children's Video
-A few sequel Pigeon books, many have earned a spot on the New York Times Best Sellers list
-Mo Willems guide to teaching about the Pigeon books: http://www.pigeonpresents.com/teachersguides/pigeon_teachguide.pdf
-Pigeon activity kit by Mo Willems:
-Certificate for NOT allowing the pigeon to drive the bus:
-Videos by Mo Willems- drawing, interviews:
-Page all about the Pigeon (other characters have their own sites as well):
-Mo Willems' website has games, videos, books, teaching guides, etc,:

Application to teaching: Use for teaching expression/fluency/monitoring for punctuation, varied voices in reading. Use for teaching simple illustrations with character expressions. Use for teaching how to use speech bubbles. Create a unit around pigeon, have students create their own story about pigeon modeling the literary devices used by Mo Willems, or, create a backstory about pigeon- why does he want to drive the bus? How does he know the bus driver? ( )
  alliecipolla | Jul 10, 2017 |
The only book I ended up buying at Logos Hope.

I bought this ostensibly for my future child, but I giggled quietly to myself during and after reading. Really enjoyed this. Can't wait to read this out loud with a kid. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
The bus driver takes a break from his route and a pigeon volunteers to help... not a great idea. This book has a repetitive answer so kids can join in and help follow along. Very adorable and humorous book that would be great for elementary level kiddos. I would read aloud this book in my classroom for children to learn about good and bad attitudes and discuss what the pigeon should do. ( )
  KalleyNeidermire | May 8, 2017 |
"DOn't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is about a bus driver who has to leave so he asks the reader to not allow the pigeon to drive the bus. The pigeon tries many excuses and tries to finagle readers into letting it drive the bus.
  audreybusch | May 3, 2017 |

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,087,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible