Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

4,820396959 (4.4)67
Member:Brendafloreslopez
Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Press (2003), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*
Tags:Caldecott book, persuading, interactive, pigeon, bus driver, silly, funny

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

English (392)  Spanish (1)  All (393)
The Pigeon books are all absolutely hilarious. My six year old son loves them and I love reading them with him. It's fun listening to him read. He reads quite expressively so it really brings across the humor of the book. These are a must have for early elementary children. ( )
  lnuenke | Apr 21, 2017 |
Caldecott Honor book, the hilariously popular pigeon tries to convince us that this is a good idea.
  jet6 | Apr 20, 2017 |
I liked this book for many reasons. The first reason I like this book is because it is great for young children. This book is so engaging and fun for young readers and listeners. This book allows young children to activate their imagination, and allows the reader of the book to add emotion and excitement to the book. I read this book as a read aloud for the 1st grade class at my internship and the children loved it. They were so engaged and excited about reading, which on most days they dread reading. Another reason I love this book is because the pages change color with the pigeon's mood. In the beginning of the story, the pages are this tan/grey color when he is trying to persuade you to drive the bus. Then as the story goes and he gets furious, the color of the pages change to pink and the print gets very big, black, and has yellow outlines to it. This shows us when he is at his peak frustration level. Then the pages goes back to normal. I think this shows the children that you can express different moods with different colors, for example, red may be angry. In addition, this book is great because it is very interactive. The book talks specifically to the children. Right from the beginning, the bus driver says, "I will be gone, so can you watch the bus for me?" This allows children to be involved in the book, and give their own input. This also keeps children paying attention , while also allowing the children to make responsible decisions and say "no" to the pigeon, which leads into the final reason I like this book. The last reason I like this book is the main message of the book. This book allows children to see that sometimes you have to say NO. I think the message in the book is one of the most important parts because it teaches children that when their parents say no, there is a reason for it. The same way the children wants the bus to be safe, parents want their kids to be safe. ( )
  adyer4 | Apr 17, 2017 |
I would use this book with a first grade classroom as the diction used is very simplistic and the illustrations would catch their attention. With this book, the use of punctuation is emphasized as the pigeon expresses many emotions. With the use of punctuation, you can focus on the different voice inflections that each punctuations can create. You can also use this book to focus on how to use persuasive techniques in their writing pieces, etc.
  apecaro01 | Apr 17, 2017 |
I would use this book as a read aloud with a first grade classroom because it is a funny book that would catch their attention, and it would keep them engaged. I would use this book to show them all of the different punctuation marks that they can use when they are writing, and what each means. Doing this as a read aloud will help them hear my voice and how it changes when we get to different types of punctuation. I would also use this book as a read aloud with first grade to introduce persuasive writing and how they can use their words to be convincing and persuasive when they are trying to get something that they want or do something that they want to do. I would then give them a writing prompt that would be something that would help them use these techniques, so asking their parents for a pet.
  rstrohmeier | Apr 16, 2017 |

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

394 wanted1 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,777,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible