Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Press (2003), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:Caldecott book, persuading, interactive, pigeon, bus driver, silly, funny

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

"Don't let the Pigeon Drive the Bus" is a fun story about a bus driver that leaves his bus alone and a pigeon tries to convince the reader to let him drive the bus. I really enjoyed reading this book for many reasons. One reason I liked this book is because it contained a lot of humor. I thought it was really funny that a pigeon wanted to drive a bus so badly. And I also thought it was funny when the pigeon was begging the reader to drive the bus. For example I also like this book because the author made the reader really feel included in the reading. The author made the reader feel included by making the characters look and sound like they were talking to the reader. For example in the very beginning of the book, the bus driver is standing there facing the reader and a speech bubble is above him saying, "Hi! I'm the bus driver. Listen, I've got to leave for a little while, so can you watch things for me until I get back? Thanks. Oh and remember: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!" This continues to happen throughout the book but it is the pigeon talking to the reader. I thought this was really creative and made the book fun to read. One last reason I like this book is because of the symbols it used in the illustrations. For example on one of the pages the pigeon is upset because he can't drive the bus and there is a large scribble above his head to express how he is feeling.
I think the main idea of this book is to include the reader in the book and make the reader laugh. ( )
  MarkiePowers | Oct 2, 2015 |
This is an outstanding book. The theme of this book is determination and perseverance. The pigeon struggled and struggled to get people to let him drive the bus. The author uses vibrant and interactive illustrations to help the reader become more engaged in the book. In addition, there are few words in the book; readers rely a lot on the illustrations. With the few sentences in the book, the author invites the reader to interact with the text. After reading it to small children, I realized that they get a kick out of being in the driver's seat and telling the pigeon he can't drive the bus. ( )
  rpotte5 | Oct 1, 2015 |
In Mo Willems Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, readers are asked by the bus driver to make sure the pigeon does not drive the bus. The pigeon pleads and bribes, but the reader is supposed to continue to tell him “no.” When the bus driver returns, the reader is thanked for assuring that the pigeon did not drive the bus. This is a witty tale, with very simple crayon drawings. Though simple, the illustrations are able to express dramatic emotion in the pigeon each time he is told not to ride the bus. This is a great read-aloud book, because it invites the reader to be part of the story. Even though the story wouldn’t actually change if the reader were to say “yes” to the pigeon, there is a sense of control being given the authority of watching over the bus. This book could teach a great lesson in the classroom about right and wrong. It is wrong for the pigeon to drive the bus, so it is important to do the right thing and not let him drive the bus. It is easy to see why this book is loved by many readers of every age, because it instills a great moral while still being very humorous. ( )
  k.hostetler11 | Oct 1, 2015 |
This is a brilliant book that perfectly and affectionatley captures the persistence of the young. I have read it to 1st - 7th graders, and all have thought it was a hoot. Wrong bird, but you know what I mean. ( )
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

314 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,708,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible