Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Member:Brendafloreslopez
Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Press (2003), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*
Tags:Caldecott book, persuading, interactive, pigeon, bus driver, silly, funny

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

English (385)  Spanish (1)  All (386)
It is a book about a bus driver who ask the reader for a favor and that is favor is not to let the pigeon drive the bus. Throughout the book the pigeon finds a myriad of was to beg, promise, and plead the reader to allow him to drive the bus. Even though the pigeon is quite determined to convince you to let him drive the bus if you manage to get to the end of the book without saying yes, the driver comes back and thanks you.

Terrific book for reading out loud to children because it can be quite interactive. One of my favorite books to have read to me as a child and one of my favorite books to read aloud to my younger cousins and the children I assist in the classroom. ( )
  fchloe1 | Mar 18, 2017 |
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is a great story to read to elementary aged students. It's very humorous, but it also teaches students the importance of following directions. ( )
  MollyMcConaughey | Mar 17, 2017 |
As long as the read-aloud is fun, the book is just even more fun. The simplistic image of the Pigeon asking to drive the bus is very amusing. The pictures look like doodles in a notebook. Mo Willems pairs the pictures with a type-writer font for the dialogue bubbles to give the story more of a cartoon feel. The drawings give the pigeon movement through the use of ticks and scribbles. The main point of this story is never trust pigeons. ( )
  mdelga3 | Mar 17, 2017 |
This is a story mostly meant for early childhood aged children. A great book teaching the work no to kids. Also teaching them to follow directions. A funny story with great pictures that will really make your child smile. ( )
  Christopher_279 | Mar 15, 2017 |
This book is about a pigeon pleading to the audience to let him drive the bus. It is a very short book, but it keeps the reader engaged throughout. The coloring of the pages go along with the emotions of the persist pigeon. It is a cute and humorous book that can be great for children in kindergarten through 2nd grade. It can be used in the classroom when learning about persuasive writing and learning about different points of views. ( )
  maria.baltazar | Mar 15, 2017 |

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

394 wanted1 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,214,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible