Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Member:Brendafloreslopez
Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Press (2003), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*
Tags:Caldecott book, persuading, interactive, pigeon, bus driver, silly, funny

Don't let the pigeon drive the bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

I liked this book because Willems really seemed to capture the mind of a desperate kindergartener. Children reading this book will laugh at how ridiculous the pigeon seems when he pleas with the reader to let him drive the bus. The pigeon offers five dollars, promises that he will be safe, explains that he has a cousin who drives a bus, and tries to insult the reader by saying his or her mom would let the pigeon drive. All of these requests lead up to the pigeon throwing a temper tantrum and does not end up being able to drive the bus. This is a funny book that all readers will laugh at and children will learn that no matter how hard they try, they will not be granted permission to do things that they cannot do, even if a temper tantrum is thrown. Willems' simple, expressive illustrations and easy word choice allow the reader to learn while being entertained. ( )
  kprinc3 | Mar 26, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. Mo Williams illustrates his writing perfectly. the illustrations really connect with the characters expressions. The illustrations are always simple although very effective. The illustrations work with the words as they both pull the reader into the story. As the pigeon begs to drive the bus the reader is obligated not to let him. At one point the pigeon goes in to a range exclaiming "LET ME DRIVE THE BUS!" Overall, the moral of this story is to follow your dreams, are the end of the story the reader sees the pigeon upgrade his dream from the bus to a truck.
  achamb15 | Mar 23, 2015 |
My only problem with the pigeon is that he appeared too late for all my kids to enjoy him. He's a blast. ( )
  JMlibrarian | Mar 3, 2015 |
  JMlibrarian | Feb 27, 2015 |
Pigeon wants to drive the bus. The driver of the bus is told that no matter what do not let the pigeon drive the bus. Very funny. There is a series of these books.
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 27, 2015 |
For Cheryl
Hi! I'm the bus driver.

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:41 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

413 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,235,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible