Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by…

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Member:Brendafloreslopez
Title:Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Press (2003), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*
Tags:Caldecott book, persuading, interactive, pigeon, bus driver, silly, funny

Don't let the pigeon drive the bus! by Mo Willems (2003)

Kids will fall in love with the Pigeon. He is obnoxious, crazy, sassy, and spunky pretty much everything a kids loves in a favorite character. In this book the Pigeon desires to drive the bus and complains every page. I think kids will enjoy this book because it is open to be interactive. The pigeon is the main character and the book reads as if the pigeon is talking to anyone reading or hearing this book. This allows the reader to get into the book, yell back at the pigeon and answer his nonsense questions. I think this is the reason this series of books become so successful. ( )
  crieder95 | Apr 22, 2015 |
Mo Willems’ first children’s book received a Caldecott Honor and is truly a memorable book that children can read over and over again. Its simple and snappy story offers a great opportunity to talk to young children about peer pressure and Willem's delightful illustrations put a big grin on my face every time I pick up the book. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Apr 22, 2015 |
Ok, I see this is the first Pigeon book. One can say it shows - the pigeon was a generic pre-schooler begging, bargaining, whining, fussing, pouting, scheming.... In the later books he, imo, develops a bit of his own personality. Still, this was both sweet and hilarious. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus was an engaging book to read. Since the story was engaging I really liked to read the story. Mo Willems puts the reader in the story, and makes them a part of it. The author put the reader in the story in the beginning by having the bus driver ask the reader to not let the pigeon to drive the bus. For the rest of the book, the pigeon asks the reader if he can drive the bus in various was from courteous, “Hey, can I drive the bus? Please?” to a more aggressive demanding approach, with the pigeon saying, “LET ME DIVE THE BUS!!!”
Mo Willems does a great job of giving expression to the pigeon. At the beginning when the pigeon is asking politely about driving the bus, the pigeon looks sweet and innocent but the frustration is more visible on the pigeons face later in the book after being denied more times. On the page where the pigeon yells and freaks out, its feathers are flying everywhere and there is a red swirl in the pigeon’s eye to really show his anger. The main idea of the story is that you should not get frustrated if you are not allowed to do something because something else will come along for you. This is seen when the red tractor-trailer shows up and the pigeon is no longer angry and becomes interested in the tractor-trailer. ( )
  MManzo2 | Apr 6, 2015 |
Such a fun book for home, or the classroom. Mo Willems puts the readers in charge by letting them be persuaded by the pigeon, who can be very convincing. This book could be used to teach beginning persuasive writing, or persuasive reasoning... Have students take on the character of the pigeon and try to persuade an audience to do something. Even without a lesson attached, this is an excellent book for any elementary classroom. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 6, 2015 |
For Cheryl
Hi! I'm the bus driver.

The pigeon dreams of driving a bus, but the bus driver enlists the reader to keep the pigeon out of the driver’s seat. The book progresses as the pigeon wheedles and readers get to say, “No!” – putting the children in the driver’s seat themselves. Other books include Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (a bedtime book that gets loud in the middle and gradually quieter/darker) and The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog (not as good, IMO, dealing with sharing when a duckling wants the pigeon’s coveted hot dog). These books address issues of power and necessity at a preschool level, as well as being hilariously written and engagingly illustrated in a comic-book style.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078681988X, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: The Pigeon: A Life in Pictures
(Click on images to enlarge)

Back in 1993, I was cartooning for a ’zine. Due to a lack of other material, we decided to make the December issue a sketchbook with just my cartoons. I have been producing small cartoon and story sketchbooks for clients and pals every year since then. In 1998, my sketchbook featured a new character, the Pigeon. Born in the margins of a 1997 notebook filled with potential picture book ideas, he was complaining that his ideas were better than mine. To mollify him, I put him in that year’s sketchbook. The original sketchbook was much longer than the final published volume, but some of the lines were the same. In late 1999, an agent essentially agreed with the Pigeon and rejected my picture book ideas. She suggested I revisit my sketchbook with an eye to turning it into a picture book. My wife was working at a school library at the time and had read the sketchbook to her kids, who had enjoyed it. So I suppose it wasn’t too crazy an idea. I started to revise the layout and work with color. At the end of 2001, after several dozen rejections because the book was “unusual,” an editor decided that “unusual” was a good thing. Plus, it made her laugh. I began reworking and rewriting. The Pigeon was now starting to look more like his mature self. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was published in April 2003 and, to my surprise, proved to be popular quite quickly. Thankfully, that Pigeon doodle in the notebook back in 1997 was so insistent. He was right!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:41 -0400)

"When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-- a pigeon. But you never met one like this before."

413 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,748,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible