Shifted: Episodes 1-4 Omnibus by Madeline…

Shifted: Episodes 1-4 Omnibus

by Madeline Freeman

Please note that this omnibus collects the first four "episodes" of a planned twelve episode series.

All in all, this collection provides an enjoyable introduction to the series. It's a very light read, with each story within it only around 10k words in length, and it is paced well enough so that it never becomes boring. I think that the story will easily appeal to fans of Supernatural as there are a lot of similarities between the two series - Shifted was about siblings who were born into a family of monster hunters and travelled the country by car, helping people out by solving their paranormal problems. The Monroe twins even utilised a lot of the Winchester’s methods, including assuming false identities to get more information and deploying weapons like rock salt guns.

However, the story was incredibly shallow and lacked in any real depth. Personally, I felt that this omnibus would have worked better as a single story as it would have cut out a lot of the repetition and allowed more time for character development. As it stands some details (such as the details surrounding a certain character's death) are told over and over again which is quite unnecessary.

I also felt that the structure of these stories did not allow the cast much room to grow. The only character that received his own arc was Peter, the rest did not have a lot of time to grow and develop over this short page count. I really hope that more time is spent in future episodes to giving the other characters time to shy, particularly Leigh who takes all of the horrible things that occur in her stride and never seems to regret her decision (or stop to think about the family that she has left behind), causing her seem to be a bit 2-dimensional for a protagonist. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | May 27, 2015 |
Excellent story! Would love to see this made into a tv series. Can't wait to start next in series. ( )
  wickedtmc | May 7, 2015 |
I was given a free ARC copy to read and to honestly review these stories.

Reading this book right off the bat I got a Supernatural vibe off of it, but instead of two brothers it was a sister and brother. Then a twist pairs the brother up with another female lead which can in the future lead to lots of different variables in the story. The characters have likable personalities and there is just enough humor in the book without it just being overly cheesy.

Overall I liked the ideas and where the story is going. It makes me want to keep reading to know what happens next. And this makes me give it four stars, because I love when stories hold my attention!

However what I don't like and what makes me knock down a star is that this is being written either as a quick screenplay (because it would need way more details added to really be a screenplay) or as a bunch of short stories to build one long story. I don't like this because each one really has no real closure or ending and leaves you wanting more. Which would be fine if it was a long book and you were waiting for the next long book in the series, but these are short and just are done too quickly for my taste. The other thing docking the star are the writing errors. Occasionally misused or misspelled words, grammar and punctuation. I wasn't keeping track, but there were enough to be noticeable and I am totally not good with grammar and spelling so if I noticed then I'm sure it would drive the people nuts who really take that stuff seriously! I'm hoping that it will be cleaned up in future copies, or has been for the ones being sold on Amazon and that I just got a messy ARC copy before it had gone to final editing and publishing.

I want to say that I can't wait to see where the story goes and to learn more about the characters and how they continue to evolve, but I am afraid that I probably won't get much past these four episodes because the rest are not yet published and depending on how long that takes I might forget to come back and look for more. ( )
  froggiesl | Aug 18, 2014 |
This book series was great, especially if you enjoy the tv series Supernatural. There are a lot of parallels between the two series, like a family member (Bobby/Flo) who guides the hunters (Peter and Leigh and Mollie/Sammy and Dean and Cas) through their hunting adventures. Some words are left out, and some pronouns are switched, like she and he, but overall it is a very enjoyable read. I really look forward to reading the rest of the series.

Quite honestly, I love Madeline Freeman as a writer - I've also read Crystal Magic, and I plan on reading the sequel, Wild Magic, as soon as it comes out. ( )
  JD.Strand | Aug 11, 2014 |
Leigh Evans learns that perception of reality is not always the truth. On the night of her graduation, she stumbles upon a dark secret that is much more horrific than she could ever imagine. Peter and Mollie Monroe are trained to hunt down and destroy all the things that go bump in the night. After Leigh’s encounter she can’t possibly continue her normal life so she begs Peter to come along and things will never be the same!

These short episodes, despite their length, have great detail that keep you interested and wanting for more. Reading all four together is like reading one full book. There is enough detail to paint the picture but nothing too graphic, which I prefer. It’s a pretty easy read, but when I got to the end I was wanting more!

There’s not a lot of budding romance like other authors try to shove into these types of books, but just enough intrigue to see if something is cooking for future episodes. Overall, I say this is a pretty good mini series and great for a casual light reading adventure. I look forward to the others and plan to keep reading them!

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review ( )
  Amy_Webb | Aug 7, 2014 |

Madeline Freeman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,060,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible