Why Lords Lose Their Hearts by Manda Collins

Why Lords Lose Their Hearts (2014)

by Manda Collins

Good conclusion to the Wicked Widows trilogy. It all started with the death of Perdita's abusive husband, as he held a knife to her throat. Only Perdita, her sister Isabella, and their friend Georgina know exactly what occurred - or so they thought. In the first book, someone starts tormenting and threatening the three women, claiming to know what happened and threatening to expose them. Isabella and Georgina are saved from their stalkers with the help of the men they love, but the person behind it is still unknown.

The stalker has moved on to attacks on Perdita, and the only person she can go to for help is Lord Archer, her late husband's private secretary. Unknown to her, Archer has been in love with her for years, but had been unable to help her before. Now he is determined to keep her safe.

I really liked Archer. As the youngest in the family he learned how to read people, keep calm in chaos, and wait patiently for his chance at what he wants. I loved the way that he has been watching out for her since the trouble began. Knowing some of what she's been through, I really liked the way that Archer was sensitive to the way that he made suggestions. I also thought that he was incredibly patient with her stubbornness in dealing with the threats against her, but when it was time to take action, he did it.

I liked Perdita, too, but there were times I wanted to shake her. Because she had been in love with her husband before they married and he showed his abusive side, she now has no confidence in her ability to trust her judgement of whether someone is a good man. She is taking the time of being unmarried again to try to develop some confidence in herself again. She is considering the idea of marrying again, but refuses to allow herself to fall in love with any man, sure that it would impair her judgement once again.

I enjoyed the development of their relationship. Archer finally made his interest in Perdita clear to her. Perdita finally admitted her attraction to him, but refuses to consider being anything other than lovers. Of course, Archer wants more, but has the sense and patience to try to bring her to his way of thinking. Their physical relationship was great, with plenty of heat, but also some fun. I did get frustrated with the way she would frequently push him away. Fortunately, she does start to believe that she can have it all, thanks to an unexpected conversation with Archer's mother.

The suspense of the story, as it continued from the previous two books was really good. I could definitely feel the creep factor several incidents portraying her as a murderer occurred. When the attacks turned physical, the intensity increased, especially as Perdita resisted all suggestions for her safety. Even when Archer took her to the safest place he could think of, trouble still found them. As this book went on I had a couple of suspicions of who the bad guy was, but it wasn't obvious who it would really be. My initial suspicion turned out to be right, but the reason behind it was completely unexpected and definitely high up in the ick factor. There was an interesting twist at the end regarding Gervase's death.

I liked seeing the couples from the first two books and how their involvement continued in this one. As all three women had previously been victims of abusive husbands, it was lovely to see them with men who loved them. I really liked the way that Isabella and Georgina didn't hesitate to tell Perdita when they thought she was wrong, and I loved their part in getting her to safety.

I also loved seeing Archer's family. His parents were great. I really liked how they obviously cared about their boys. I loved the part where his mom asked Perdita her intentions toward Archer. His brothers were also terrific. There was plenty of sibling rivalry and teasing, but when the chips were down, their support was instant and complete. As they are all unmarried, I hope to see them getting books of their own. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Apr 2, 2016 |
Listened for Review (Tantor)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 4.25
Character Rating: 3.75

Audio Rating: 4.00 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: Why Lords Lose Their Hearts by Manda Collins was my first book by the author but it won't be my last (especially after the end--now I NEED to get the first two). This was a great combination of action, suspense, love, and intriguing characters. I really loved the friendship between the women and what they would do for each other. Gotta love strong women! Overall, a great friends to lovers romance!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated by: Anne Flosnik /Length: 7 hrs and 54 mins

It is no secret that Anne is one of my favorite narrators and the reason I picked up this book. She totally delivered and felt she was a terrific fit for these characters! I will be getting the other two on audio too!

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Mar 22, 2015 |
Lord Archer Lisle, is the youngest of five sons, and has to work for a living. But there is one reason he has stayed at the same position, even though it was a fun job to begin with, Perdita. Perdita is the widowed Duchess of Ormand, has suffered from an abusive marriage, but when it defending her life, her husband is killed, she knew that this secret must never get out, for there is only a few that know; her family and Archer. She has always felt a kinship toward Archer, and now that she is free from her husband, the last thing she needs is entering a marriage with her heart involved. She doesn’t believe that she can trust her own judgment, and when Archer starts to be a bit more progressive in relaying his true feelings for her, Perdita has no idea how to handle these feelings inside of her, but when a danger threatens her, and she is constantly having her life put at risk, Archer decides to take action and protect the woman he loves at all costs, even risking the anger and wrath of the Duchess herself. But will they be able to resolve matters of the heart before the danger closes around them and threatens to destroy everything…
Why Lords Lose Their Hearts is the third and last installment of the series. And oh my have I had such a fun time with this author. Don’t you just love it when you discover an author and every book you read is better than the last? Well that is how I feel about Manda Collins, I just can’t get enough of her. Now this is the last installment of the Wicked Widows trilogy, but don’t look so sad guys….because I have great news; she has an upcoming series, the Lords of Anarchy which are closely related to this book. Which I am super excited for, since in this book, we see four other unattached brothers….oooh I just can’t wait. This family was a jolly good fun, and I just wanted to jump in the pages and join in the circus. Despite the fact that they are all grown men, they still act like five year old. The teasing and gestures, and oh boy, the parents sure had their hands full with these boys.
The story is enchanting and oh I just love the writing style of Manda Collins. It’s the type of writing style that has you hooked from the beginning, and I am amazed that I just discovered this author last year…I should get grounded or something….LOL…but I have repented of my grave sins, and Collins is at the top of my reading list from now on. The story itself is at first seems to be predictable, but that is far from the case. This plot went different ways and led me on a merry chase, with a couple of adventures, sensual engagements, and a suspenseful element that added even more depth to the story. The character development were done pretty well, and I love the strength and passion of these two, they complimented each other so well, and you see what a spark they have from the beginning of the story.
Overall a story that had me enthralled from the first page, a story to enchant, mystify and captivate!! A story with flair and beautifully drawn characters….a book you don’t want to miss! A SPARKLING GEM!! ( )
  addictofromance | Jan 26, 2015 |
We begin with a death… And now the widow is being harassed and threatened. Determined never to allow her heart to lead her again into a situation she can't easily escape, she decides to marry someone she cares nothing about and seek love in an affair. Lord Archer Lisle isn't opposed to having an affair with the woman he's loved for years, but he wants it to lead to marriage. Meanwhile, her mysterious opponent steps up the assaults upon her. Can Lisle keep her alive long enough to persuade her to accept him as a husband?

A nice romp with a plucky heroine… isn't that what regency romance is all about? This goes a bit deeper, with the unmentionable subject of domestic violence darkening the edges. Our heroine discovers she's not the only woman to be brutalized by a man she trusted. ( )
  Carrie.Kilgore | Jan 22, 2015 |

Perdita, the widowed Duchess of Ormonde, keeps a dangerous secret--the truth of how her brutish husband died. But a mysterious avenger seems to know it, too, and when anonymous threats turn into public attacks, there's only one friend she can turn to for help--her husband's former secretary, Lord Archer Lisle. The man who witnessed her every heartache. The kind of man whose love she can only dream of ...… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,742,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible