Beyond Limits by Laura Griffin

FBI agent Elizabeth (one of my favourite characters from a previous book) and Navy SEAL Derek track terrorists on US soil. This was exciting and the twists and turns of the investigation were interesting. I really wish people got more sleep though... ( )
  pgchuis | Aug 8, 2017 |
A decently paced suspense that starts off in Afghanistan with a group of Navy Seals on a rescue mission which uncovers a possible link to a terrorist attack here in the states which brings in the FBI counter terrorism unit.

Derek Vaughn was one of the Seals on that rescue mission. He and his Seals team are brought in by the FBI to debrief when they return state side when the evidence shows what they uncovered could be linked. Elizabeth LeBlanc who is an FBI agent is asked to work on the team. Derek and Liz have a bit of history from a previous book in the series but they haven’t seen each other for a while but both hadn’t forgotten the other.

Even though the action never seemed to let up the story itself seemed to drag a little in places. Overall it was a good plot with a romance on the side.
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
Up till now I've really enjoyed LG's thrillers, but this is not really a Tracers book but rather a military (ooh, scary terrorists!) book. I hope she goes back to writing Tracers books. As usual, the writing and characters are good, though.
Rating: 5/10 ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
Beyond Limits was a really good read, with a horrifyingly realistic terrorist plot that makes you feel their race against the clocks, the suspense was top notch. The main characters as well as the secondary characters were well written and realistic and the romance was hot. I really enjoyed reading it.

When one of Derek's missions uncover a terrorist plot he finds himself being questioned by FBI agent Elizabeth. They've met previously in a different investigation and neither one has been able to forget the other. Derek has a vested interest in seeing the suspects caught not only because the plot is supposed to take place in his home state but because one of his teammates was killed in the op involving one of the suspects. Elizabeth finds herself stuck with Derek as they race to catch the terrorists before they can cause any destruction on US soil. While I'm not usually a reader of terrorist plot lines, this one was pretty good with enough twists and turns to keep me interested. Derek and Elizabeth actually worked really well together when they got over their hangups.

Because Derek and Elizabeth have met previously there isn't a feeling of being rushed into their relationship. They are both seriously attracted to each other and that really comes through while you're reading. I also enjoyed reading about Luke and Hailey and I'm really hoping that they get their own story eventually. There were only a handful of scenes with them but I found myself looking forward to them while reading, which shows just how well Laura Griffin writes her secondary characters.

Although Beyond Limits is the eighth book in the Tracers series it can be read as a stand alone, each of the books focus on a different couple, and even though Derek and Elizabeth were both introduced in a previous book I had no problem picking up this one without reading the others first. You still get the back-story of how they met so don't worry that you'll be lost if you're starting with this one. Overall Beyond Limits is a great read with lots of action and some scorching hot romance to spice it up.

***Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for my honest review***
Originally reviewed on Book Liaison ( )
  Chrystina.Williams | Dec 4, 2015 |
Beyond Limits by Laura Griffin is a 2015 Gallery Books publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Laura Griffin rules the military style romantic suspense genre. This eighth installment in the Tracers series does not disappoint.

Elizabeth is an FBI agent still struggling with the aftermath of her last case and the lingering feelings she has for Navy SEAL Derek Vaughn.
When a terrorist cell is discovered that has big plans for Texas, Elizabeth and Derek find themselves face to face once again and the chemistry between them is just as strong as ever.
For Derek the FBI is not moving fast enough. Lives are stake as the possibility arises that chemical warfare is the terrorist weapon of choice. Instead of wading through bureaucracy, red tapes and waffling, which is the FBI in a nutshell, he wants to gain Intel from Elizabeth and use it go after the terrorist himself.

From start to finish the action is non-stop and suspense gets more intense with each chapter. This story touches on several themes. The work of the SEALS, and vast difference in methods they employee as opposed to government agencies. If this scenario was a real live case, I think I would have to put my money on the SEALS. The FBI might let us all die.
The effects of war, the honor among SEALS, the impact it has on the personal lives of the men is also an undercurrent.

Derek is my kind of guy. He pulls no punches, gets the job done and means business. We really need more guys like this one! Oh and he's a super hot SEAL and that makes him super sexy too. Elizabeth was a bit timid, sort of damaged after all she had been through before she took on this case. She doesn't fight Derek too hard when he wants information from her even though she knows he is using her for the Intel. Despite her issues, she is no shrinking violet when comes to doing her job and is as serious as Derek about catching the terrorists before the worst happens.

The romance in this one is not quite as heated as some previous books in the series, but the story line here is just really, really intense and serious and there is a lot going on, so I thought it was more realistic. That is not to say the romance is not hot, just fewer love scenes. This couple has a few challenges to face but if they are as determined to work on their relationship as they do in other areas of their lives , then I think they are going to be just fine.

Overall I have to say I enjoyed this book as much as all the others in the series. If you are fan of this author then snap up your copy now, you won't regret it. If you new to this author, never fear, you can read this one as a stand alone. Once you do, you will want to read all Laura Griffin novels! 4.5 stars . ( )
  gpangel | Feb 17, 2015 |

FBI agent Elizabeth LeBlanc is still caught in the aftermath of her last big case when she runs into the one man from her past who is sure to rock her equilibrium even more. Navy SEAL Derek Vaughn is back home from a harrowing rescue mission in which he found evidence of a secret terror cell on US soil. Elizabeth knows he’ll do anything to unravel the plot—including seducing her for information. And despite the risks involved, she’s tempted to let him. Together with the forensics experts at the Delphi Center, Derek and Elizabeth are closing in on the truth, but it may not be fast enough to avert a devastating attack…

FBI agent Elizabeth LeBlanc matches wits with a man from her past, Navy SEAL Derek Vaughn, who sets out to seduce her for information as they work together with the forensics experts at the Delphi Center to expose a secret terror cell operating on American soil.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,364,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible