Sunrise, Sunset: 52 Weeks of Awe and…

Sunrise, Sunset: 52 Weeks of Awe and Gratitude

by Kim Weiss

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Beautiful pictures and some thought-provoking commentary from multiple viewpoints in regards to philosophy and religion. A resource to turn to if you are looking for some quiet time to enjoy beautiful pictures and count your blessings. ( )
  TeriA-M | Apr 3, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an absolutely beautiful book! I received it in ebook format for review, and am seriously considering purchasing it in hardcover format. Each page has amazing images of sunrises or sunsets (as the title of the book suggests), and poems or reflections from various authors are written on each spread to compliment the picture. This would make a great coffeetable book, or a book for a waiting room.

Gorgeous! ( )
  SimplySarie | Jan 8, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book took me back in time to a special remembrance. As graduating seniors in high school, each girl received a gift from a local furniture store of a small, cedar “hope chest”. The guys also received a gift but to be honest I don’t remember what the gift was. The miniature “hope chest” was approximately 8 ¾” x 4 ¾” x 3 ¼”. I didn’t know what to put inside this distinctive gift upon receipt but as I started my discovery of quotations or poems that moved me in some unique way, I started copying each one on its own 3” x 5” index card and tucking them inside my “hope chest”. When I needed inspiration, motivation, or to pick up my spirits, I would sit in a quiet place, open my “hope chest”, read and reflect.

Opening “Sunrise Sunset 52 Weeks of Awe & Gratitude” for the first time was even more captivating to me than opening the treasures of quotations that I collected so many years ago in my hope chest. First, the book shares an extraordinary collection of vibrant color photographs of sunrises and sunsets taken from the author’s balcony at her home in coastal South Florida. Please read more about this precious little book in the photographer’s own words…“Friends, colleagues, mentors, and people I’ve (the photographer) admired have generously contributed their literary impressions elicited from my (her) sunrise and sunset photos. What I’ve (she has) collected from these talented people take the form of poems, affirmations, meditations, and thoughtful reflections.”

From the moment the book is opened you can tell that you are holding a rare gem in your hands that was compiled as a “labor of love” by all who contributed to the offering. The addition of the photographer’s “Acknowledgements” and “Introduction” lead you into the treasury of photographs and thoughtful writings. At the end of the book, the photographer shares “Contributor Bios” in a succinct but thoughtful and meaningful style. Each component of the book adds to the special beauty of the entire presentation.

This book is timeless not only as it will not be affected by time itself for the ageless presentation but will always be meaningful to all who discover and explore the pages as it transcends all generations in allure and offers universal appeal across all cultures. One can turn the pages in reflection for 5 minutes or 5 hours but it is definitely a book that will be opened again and again. As friends depart and find it difficult to bid each other adieu one often references to the other the reminder that when we look to the sky we share the same world. This book can be the opening of dialogue to share our welcome, our hopes, our inspirations, our dreams, our encouragement, and our wishes. I can envision so many opportunities to share this exquisite book from availability…
On a coffee table for browsing by family members and any guests to one’s home,
On a nightstand in one’s guest room for the guest that wants to rest but cannot sleep due to time zone differentials,
As a welcome to the guest in a bed & breakfast,
In an art class as a muse for palettes from watercolors to oil painting,
In a writing class for stimulus from high school to community college to graduate school,
Tucking it in the bag of a college freshman who will live away from home for the first time in their lives to discover your best wishes for each new day,
To open dialogue with a teenager that may think you don’t understand the wealth of emotions they’re experiencing due to starting a new school year or perhaps at a new school,
To bring caring and encouragement to a friend who is grieving,
To being the hope to a loved one that is undergoing the hours of chemo treatment,
Or, the comfort for the individual that is waiting through the long hours of surgery on their loved one.
The list of possibilities is only as limited as each individual’s imagination. Let it soar!

I wasn’t even finished turning the pages of the book when I knew that I would be ordering multiple copies to give to family and friends. Let the sharing begin with me.

I was lucky enough to receive a pre-publication copy of this title as an “Early Reviewer” from Library Thing. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Dec 18, 2014 |
Sunrise, Sunset: 52 Weeks of Awe & Gratitude
Wanted to read this book for the calmness that the sun brings to my life. Glad I do have a bit of vision now that I can enjoy them rises and sets myself.
Comes at a great time, we've just had Thanksgiving and the memory of those no longer with us makes us appreciate those left here on Earth a bit more as the crowd gets smaller every year.
Love poems, stories of places visited and the scenery. Just beautiful! I have felt like I am along for the ride of a lifetime, visiting so many new places and seeing the sky from the angles.
Bookends of my life-sunrise and sunset would be my favorite page. Love the index at the end where those contributing have a sentence or two about what they do in their lifes.
I received this book from the author via Library Thing in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | Dec 3, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sunrise, Sunset: 52 Weeks of Awe and Gratitude (edition 2014)
by Kim Weiss. Early Reviewer Book. I loved the beautiful photographs. The writing is very thought provoking and I look forward to reading it more slowly the second time through. This book took a long time to get to me considering it was an ebook. ( )
  perennialreader | Dec 2, 2014 |

The same vista. Never the same sun.

Much like life, the stage changes even when our vantage point doesn't. And so it is with the rising and setting sun, no two are ever the same.

Every picture tells another color, shape and shadow story . . . whatever unfolds each day reveals the diversity and beauty of life. Birds, insects, reptiles, trees, sandy shores—all thrive under the majesty of the sun.

Weiss offers all of this as a show of gratitude, a tribute to the awe of each new day. Sunrise Sunset is replete with glorious photographs of different days and different suns captured from the very same vantage point, the very same terrace.

Complementing her photographs are meditations, passages, poetry, reflections and contemplations from some of the bestknown and loved inspirational leaders of our time: Jack Canfield, Marci Shimoff, M.J. Rose, Arielle Ford, Don Miguel Ruiz, Jr., Richard Bandler, Lisa McCourt, Betsey Chasse and many more.

This is the ultimate gift book for saying 'thank you', sharing a blessing or offering an oasis for spiritual awakening. From sunrise to sunset, this will be a perennial bestseller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:55 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kim Weiss's book Sunrise, Sunset: 52 Weeks of Awe and Gratitude was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,748,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible