The Counterfeit Father by PV Lundqvist

The Counterfeit Father

by PV Lundqvist

148683,257 (3)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A fun, quick read! I received a copy of this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program, and I really enjoyed it! The main character is an interesting boy, well-written and initially pretty abrasive. As the fun and unique story unfolds, Tony becomes more and more engaging as a character, and you keep turning the pages, wanting to know how it all resolves. A fun read for kids of all ages!!! ( )
  sstaheli | Nov 6, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was interesting but, I believe it needed a bit more mystery. Most of the "mystery" part of the book was very easy to figure out. In the story
Tony did not know who his father was but he later figured out that his father was famous. This was never confirmed and it was not explained either. It is not a book for children I believe it is a book for a more mature audience. Overall the book was good enough to keep me reading. ( )
  Natdyl3 | Oct 28, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was enjoyable. I had hoped it would be good to read with my 8 year old, but it was a bit mature for him. In which case, I found it a bit short for someone older. I felt the characters had some good potential, but all in all, I wanted more. ( )
  spoff011 | Oct 15, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but hopefully this cover will be updated. It's pretty misleading. It looks like a cutesy intermediate read, but it's obviously not once you get into the story. A quick read, and it kept up my curiosity but I feel the characterization merely skimmed the service. It's also being marketed as a "mystery" but I found the answers to any "mystery" to either be rather obvious or went completely unanswered. The mother character was odd and there was never an answer as to why even though there was a lot of potential and possibilities to really develop her character. Overall, a disappointing read. ( )
  LauraEnos | Sep 25, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The main character, Tony, is disabled, in a wheelchair and on oxygen, but has a sharp and sarcastic mind. He enjoys trolling on internet message boards and trying to manipulate the few people he gets to interact with. The story is short, with minimal description; the snappy dialogue between Tony and his caregiver Hawes is engaging.

On the minus side, the author lets some mysteries arise without really interesting the reader or resolving them. Tony's mother, a complete isolate; the terms of Tony's trust, the relationship with his father. Sparing description and dialogue, yes, but too sparing in this case. A quick read, but I don't think I'll be picking up the next one, as it didn't interest me enough. ( )
  singerji | Sep 23, 2014 |

From the outside, 13 year old Tony looks like he has quite the life: A whole estate to himself. A fangirl he flirts with online. A pet monkey. (His third!) Until you notice the wheelchair. Or that he only speaks with his mother by intercom. Or that he doesn't seem to know who his real father is. And now, to save his home from a mysterious trust, Tony will have to ride in a broken-down motorcycle with someone who may not be who he seems, and solve the biggest mystery of all-Who he really is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:31 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

PV Lundqvist's book The Counterfeit Father was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

PV Lundqvist is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,366,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible