Abattoir Blues by Peter Robinson

Abattoir Blues (2014)

by Peter Robinson

Series: Inspector Banks (22)

It all starts with a missing tractor. That doesn't seem to be the most exciting case to have to solve, but when blood in a hangar and two missing men seem to be connected to the theft must DCI Banks and his team find out who is behind it all.

This is my very first DCI Banks book and I have to admit that I'm surprised that it wasn't better. I was curious about this book series and I usually have no problems reading the latest book in the series, but in this case, I just couldn't get into the story or nor did I find the characters very interesting.

The book started off OK, but the last half of the book felt extremely tedious. The cops tried to find answers theft and where the two missing men are. And, it just dragged on and dragged on. Not even when a butchered body was found did the story get interesting. DCI Banks was away in the beginning of the book, with his girlfriend in Italy. And, frankly, he wasn't that memorable when he showed up. He could have been away from the whole book and I wouldn't have missed him.

I'm really surprised that this book didn't appeal to me. I usually like crime novels. It's the one genre that I rarely am disappointed with. But this one, I was bored. The story was bored the characters were boring. Not evening the ending was very interesting.

The first 40% of the book was the best. I lost interest in the story after that. I mean I had 6% left of the book and it was not exciting to read instead I had to force myself to finish the book.

A kind 2-star rating. It started off OK and I would like to read another book in the series since I haven't ruled out the series completely yet.

I want to thank the publisher and Edelweiss for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Book Description:
It's a double mystery: Two young men have vanished, and the investigation leads to two troubling clues in two different locations.

As Banks and his team scramble for answers, the inquiry takes an even darker turn when a truck careens off an icy road in a freak hailstorm. In the wreckage, rescuers find the driver, who was killed on impact, as well as another body—a body that was dead well before the crash.

Snow falls. The body count rises. And Banks, perceptive and curious as ever, feels himself being drawn deeper into a web of crime, and at its center something—or someone—dark and dangerous lying in wait.

My Review:
Peter Robinson is an excellent storyteller and I found this one to be well-written. It is smartly plotted with lots of interesting characters. Winston is featured in this book along with her new boyfriend Terry. Annie is recovering from her gunshot wound and is coming along nicely. Banks seems to be thinking about retirement but is still masterful at solving this dark and dangerous crime. I find it's a good idea to read this series in order as the storylines build one upon the other. I look forward to the next installment and would highly recommend this series to those who love mystery thrillers and police procedurals. ( )
  EadieB | Nov 16, 2017 |
Inspector Banks #22. Quick read. I've been away from Peter Robinson for a while, so read this out of order. Good story: rural theft ring, murder, body found in pieces among dead animal parts, romance for Winsome. But I found some of the police soeculation, jumping to conclusions about whoever is at handmore annoying (or heavy handed) than usual. ( )
  lmnopqr | Oct 21, 2017 |
A great addition to the series. Suspense at its best, although there were several hints that Banks is feeling his age and the passage of time. Could retirement be in the near future? ( )
  Gingermama | May 24, 2017 |
This book was much better than the last one. Be warned, there is another title for this book – the U.K. version is titled Abattoir Blues so don’t purchase that title and this title. I wonder why they have different names for the same book?

This plot was gritty and well written. A stolen tractor, a murdered man, a theft ring and more. The descriptive scenes would just about make a vegetarian out of you if you aren’t one already. That’s not the entire book, mind you, just the interviews at the slaughterhouse. It was necessary to the plot and worked well.

Winsome is back and has a big role in this book. I love her character – she is a hellva detective and I hope she is in more books. Annie Cabbot is also featured. One day I hope she and Banks will get together and he stops diddling around with younger women. Ok, one young beauty interested in him in a previous book was fine but seriously….there is another young attractive woman mentioned in the beginning of this book as well.

As for the mystery – it all ties up neatly near the end. You are left guessing who is the thief and who is the murderer up until the last few chapters. I like it when it can’t be figured out early on.

Food: meals mentioned are frequent as British detectives do some of their meetings in pubs. But we also have Winsome Jackman out on a date. Check out the passages in the photos.

We have Beef and Mushroom Pie and haddock, served with fries / chips. The meal Winsome shares with Terry sounds great and I could go for a glass of Rioja and a cheese plate.

Photos may be found on my blog Novel Meals.
https://novelmeals.wordpress.com/2017/05/03/in-the-dark-places-by-peter-robinson/ ( )
  SquirrelHead | May 3, 2017 |

Robinson, Peterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paassen, Catalien vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paassen, Willem vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'But look at these lonely houses, each in its own fields, filled for the most part with poor ignorant folk who know little of the law. Think of the deeds of hellish cruelty, the hidden wickedness which go on, year in, year out, in such places, and none the wiser.'

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 'The Copper Beeches', The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892)
For Sheila
Terry Gilchrist came out of the woods opposite the large hanger, which loomed ahead of him like a storage area for crashed alien spaceships in New Mexico.

"As Banks and his team follow what few clues they have, desperate to find the missing boy, who holds the key to the puzzle, they find themselves branching out in different directions. As the end game becomes a race against time, even Banks's team isn't safe from the rage of the hunted animal"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,650,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible