Revenge and Retribution (Graham Saga) by…

Revenge and Retribution (Graham Saga)

by Anna Belfrage

I love this series!!! It has everything I love about a historical fiction book, history, family, conflict and a Scottish man with a brogue, time travel and did I mention the Scottish man with a brogue??...the title Revenge & Retribution perfectly describes the book. The Burley brothers are back to make the Grahams life miserable...again. The Graham's and extended family continue their lives on the homesteads in the colony of Maryland. A promise to an Indian chief must me fulfilled. The children are growing up and wanting to go away and do their own thing. Alex definitely has the empty nest syndrome. Alex is a strong and determined woman whose love for her family is fierce and she is determined to protect what is hers.

I started my reviews of this series with book three, I will someday go back and read the first two. I love how the author weaves the individual characters in such a way that the reader feels the emotion, pain and happiness of this huge family in an era that had to be difficult at best. Working the land, the cooking, the laundry, and all other things that make a household run in the early days of America. The author is knowledgeably with the historical aspect of this series. This novel is not always happiness and light, there is death in the family, a bit of magic haunts the family also in the form of paintings that brings the accusations of witchcraft to the church elders.

Like I said before, I love this series and will definitely be reading the story right to the end...If you love historical fiction such as the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, or anything by Susanna Kearsley or Barbara Erskine, this one is for you. I don't usually compare books as I don't feel this is fair to the author, but in this case I think it is appropriate. Plus the Scottish man with the brogue!!!! ( )
  celticlady53 | Sep 2, 2014 |
This sixth installment of the Graham Saga picks up pretty much where the last one left off but things don't look any brighter for Alex and Matthew. Those every present Burley Brothers sans one are still trying to kill them and maintain that preternatural ability to find them any time, anywhere no matter how far they have traveled in the interim. There are hints of promise of their demise but I don't believe it. I'm beginning to think they are vampires or werewolves or something. Whatever beast they might be they are pure evil.

Evil comes in other forms in this period in history as it's the time that people are suddenly afraid of witches and are seeing them in their neighbor's every strange occurrence. Consequently due to some erm, family issues Alex's brother in law accuses her of being a witch and hysteria reigns. This combined with Indian issues, the aforementioned Burleys and a few other minor problems sprinkled in for good measure make this the darkest chapter in the Graham story. That does not mean that it is all sturm and drang - there is some light in and amongst the darkness which is why I feel compelled to look forward to the next book.

Ms. Belfrage is an excellent writer and her attention to historical detail and character development are spot on. When I read her books I feel I am well and truly part of the characters' world. I just really think this couple needs a bit of peace for heaven's sake. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Sep 2, 2014 |

Revenge & Retribution' is the sixth book in Anna Belfrage's time slip series featuring time traveller Alexandra Lind and her seventeenth century husband, Matthew Graham. Life in the Colony of Maryland is no sinecure - as Alex and Matthew Graham well know. But nothing in their previous life has prepared them for the mayhem that is about to be unleashed upon them. Being labelled a witch is not a good thing in 1684, so it is no wonder Alex Graham is aghast at having such insinuations thrown at her. Even worse, it's Matthew's brother-in-law, Simon Melville, who points finger at her. Not that the ensuing hearing is her main concern, because nowadays Alex's entire life is tainted by the fear of what Philip Burley will do to them once he gets hold of them. On a sunny May afternoon, Philip finally achieves his aim and over the course of the coming days Alex sees her whole life unravelling, leaving her family permanently maimed. As if all this wasn't enough, Alex also has to cope with the loss of one of her sons. Forcibly adopted by the former Susquehannock, Samuel is dragged from Alex's arms to begin a new life in the wilderness. How is Alex to survive all this? And will she be able to put her damaged family back together?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,818,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible