Chosen (Warrior Chronicles #1) (Volume 1) by…

Chosen (Warrior Chronicles #1) (Volume 1)

by K.F. Breene

Good warrior fantasy but the step up in price for the balance in the series is too steep for me. ( )
  DavidR1958 | Jul 4, 2017 |
This is the first book in the Warrior Chronicles by Breene. There are six books in this series and all have been released. This was an okay book. Despite some rough writing I ended up engaged and interested in the story by the end. This is one of those books that I know is fairly poorly written but, being that I am a sucker for interesting characters, I was drawn in anyway.

I listened to this on audiobook and Davies did a good job. She sounded very much like I imagine Shanti would and did a good job with male voices as well. I would recommend listening to on audiobook if you enjoy audiobooks.

There are a few things about this book that make it seem a bit amateurish. The writing here is a bit rough and some of the things that occur in the story don't quite make sense. Some of the things that don’t make sense and are contradictory in the beginning are eventually explained. However, the way it’s put together is sloppy.

Additionally some of the way actions are described are a bit just....off. For some reason Breene has an obsession with telling you how a guy’s balls react in a given situation; the description “so and so made his balls tighten in anticipation/anger/lust” was used quite a bit. This was a unique experience for me because I didn’t realize a guys balls could be so expressive in so many different types of situations (war, general conversations, etc). A number of descriptors were similar (using strange body parts to try to convey a characters’ emotions) and it felt a bit...off and awkward.

Despite the above as the story continued I ended up being very engaged with the characters and this world. I really want to know what’s going to happen to Shanti and Sanders and the rest of our characters. I also loved the world and all the political issues here.

Overall I was surprised by the end how much I wanted to read the next book in this series. If you can get past the slightly rough and awkward writing style this is a pretty enjoyable book. I plan on reading the next one and hope that the writing quality smooths out a bit. I am hoping this is a case of “first book syndrome” and in the next book Breene will have a better writing stride and flow. ( )
  krau0098 | Apr 27, 2017 |
K.F. Breene has done it again! This book drew me in from the beginning and captivated my mind. I kept reading well after I should have fallen to sleep. The characters, storyline, and plot are well developed. I really enjoyed the humor and the strong female lead. The sexual tension between the heroine and hero is thick. The story is very entertaining. Strongly recommend.
  BookJunkie777 | Oct 16, 2016 |
Chosen is strangely compelling, to the point that I know for sure, I'll continue with this series. So, why then I gave it such low rating?

This is like a mash up of genres and ideas, and world-building at best shaky, at worst... World-building, you are drunk! Go home!

Fantasy, urban fantasy and paranormal fantasy in one, this book has fight sentences in the best traditions of Kate Daniels and a totally kick ass female warrior. And the style is wry, which tickled me just in the right way.

Shanti is an extremely strong telepath, hunted by the evil empire (yes, I'm not joking) and in search of some mythical place where she has to go to become chosen and save her people. I'm a little vague on the details and so is the book. Then she gets into a part of the woods totally scorched, finishes all her food supplies, faints from hunger, and gets found by a team of boy scouts who are doing military exercises with their commander to whip them up into shape. Cue Dog Soldiers movie, anyone? Only because it's just as full of sarcasm and gore as this book.

She is brought into this super prosperous, very civilized city-state in the middle of nowhere. It's surrounded by walls and gets attacked by savages all the time. The culture is like 19th century colonial England, and it's very very different from Shanti's own belief into gender equality, sexual freedom and general awesomeness of free spirited, independent women.

She ends up being a sort of a prisoner/guest, takes on a ragtag team of boys and starts teaching them warfare to the uproar of their superiors. Everyone is smartass here, Shanti herself, the Commander, the boys, the doctor. Of course she ends up fighting for the city against its various enemies, and if you disregard confusing world-building and weird slang on new terminology which sneaks up on you at the most inconvenient moments, I think you'll enjoy this book as much as I did. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
This is the second novel by K.F. Brenne I have attempted to read, a completely different series and i can say i hated it as much as the first.

I don't like the way she writes. It's one dimensional, not engaging and riddled with cliches. Nothing i haven't seen before. I guess it has an audience out there, but I'm not a part of it. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible