She's My Ride Home by Jacquelyn Bushore

She's My Ride Home

by Jacquelyn Bushore

811,035,133 (2.83)None
2010s (1) 2017 (1) ?LOC (1) can wait (1) ebook (1) f/f (1) fiction (1) Kindle (1) lesbian (3) lgbt (1) LGBTQ (1) LGBTQI (1) own (1) romance (2) teen (1) we need diverse books (1) young adult (2)

Cute book, but I found all of the anachronisms to be very distracting. Somebody 9 years younger than me would not likely remember MTV playing music videos (as they were hardly playing them when *I* was a kid), would likely not know what film is (and besides, Nikon D50s are digital, hence the D in the name, so I'm not sure why the author felt like being so specific about the model and then go on to say that it was a film camera, plus, unless Charlotte was shooting 36 exposure film, which is hella expensive and hard to find these days, she wouldn't be able to just take 30 shots in one go, which she does at one point, not to mention good processing labs are hard to find, but really, I digress). I'm also not sure that somebody who grew up with mostly cell phones would refer to a phone call as a "phone line", but I guess I'll give that one a pass.

It just seems like somebody my age wrote a book about what we would have gone through in our teenage years, and then added in some new technology (cell phones! text messages!) without updating any of the other things we did that were totally phased out by the new millennium (film! buying CDs at stores! iPods!).

Anyway. Plot-wise, this is your standard every-single-Julie-Anne-Peters-book-smashed-into-one book. A coming out story between two teens with an unsurprising happy ending. It's cute, but I'm not into YA coming out stories, there are only so many you can read, and they don't resonate with my own coming out later in life story. Hopefully there will be more YA fiction in the future that has awesome stories to tell in which the characters just happen to be lesbians. ( )
  lemontwist | Aug 2, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,407,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible