Lords of the Sith: Star Wars by Paul S. Kemp

Lords of the Sith: Star Wars

by Paul S. Kemp

Series: Star Wars (17 BBY), Star Wars: Canon (14 BBY)

Loved his book! This has two of my favorite characters in it, Vader and Palpatine. The insight into their character doesn't really reveal anything you don't already see, except for the introspection of Vader on the past.

I highly recommend this book, especially for the tie-in with Rebels! ( )
  DanielHampton56 | Jul 1, 2016 |
I think this is worth the read for the examination of the relationship between Vader and the Emperor, although I found the rest of book felt like filler. It might just be that since I knew those other characters couldn't possibly be successful (or there would have been no original trilogy) I didn't find their story engaging. The peeks inside Vader's mind are interesting, however, and made the book worthwhile reading for me. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jun 7, 2016 |
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

2.5 stars, rounded down to 2 stars – I just wasn’t enamored with this one.

Lords of the Sith is the story of the Free Ryloth movement, led by The Clone Wars character Cham Syndulla (father to Hera from Rebels), and their assassination attempt against Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader, Senator Orn Free Taa, and Moff Delian Mors. The first stage of the plan, trapping the Imperials on the planet, is successful, but becomes much more complicated as the story progresses: not only will the freedom-fighters have to face Darth Vader in combat, but Emperor Palpatine, who has determined to take action himself.

In spite of the title, the narrative is divided between the Imperials and the Free Ryloth Movement. This was a disappointment. I would have liked to see some discussion of the Sith background (like Darth Bane and Darth Plagueis) and how Sith teaching is passed down. Instead, the book focuses on yet another master/apprentice story.

The book works well bridging Anakin from The Clone Wars and Revenge of the Sith to Darth Vader of the Original Trilogy. He remembers the person that he was, but decides to regard his past heroics with contempt; any sorrow is built into a hateful rage that embodies his new role as a Sith Lord.

The book’s action is hit-and-miss. The book opens up with a scene of Darth Vader leading a bombing run on a Twi’lek ship in orbit, destroying all of the ship’s guns, using his own TIE fighter as a guided missile to create an entrance, jumping out of his ship in the nick of time, and guiding himself with the Force to enter the ship and slaughter the crew within. The rest of the fight scenes aren’t quite as thrilling, knowing that the villains are destined to be victorious.
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
Star Wars of The lords of the Sith is a book about rebels who try to kill Darth Vader and The Emperor. Since I’ve already seen the movie I knew that obviously they didn’t die, although they did tell the story well with very good details. The first subplot they have is that there is an Imperial that is working undercover for the Rebels but he regrets it because he is afraid he will get found out. They don’t go into much detail in that subplot but you can understand what is happening. Most of the book takes place aboard the Perilous which is an Imperial star destroyer. The Rebels first send in a small bomb squadron which shows how much the characters really want to succeed, but as I said before I’ve seen the movie before so the end of the fight on the Perilous was kind of a let down. While their on the Perilous they set bomb and pretend that their dead to hide from the Imperials. Some of that part doesn’t make sense because the wording is very confusing and some of the words are misspelled (yes I checked). Darth Vader and The Emperor end up crashing on the planet Ryloth( the planet that they are enslaving). The book tries to have a tense moment with Vader and The Emperor where they might kill each other but as I’ve said before I already knew that they would end up fine.

First off the storytelling is really good, and they really do have some tense moments between the characters. The tense moments are obviously some of the best parts, A lot of the book is just lore about people and stories we will never see the story of (I personally like this part but some people don't).Most of the book as I said is just random talk which is really boring because they talk about things that haven't even happened in the book. The book is overall worth 4 stars because some of it is bad but in the end it’s a pretty well written book. ( )
  kaden.pb4 | Jan 21, 2016 |
Star Wars is on the brain...of everyone. After the supreme disappointment of the prequels (okay, they weren't that bad, and we probably all had our hopes set too high, anyway), the hype and the excitement and the energy and the shear cultural force of Star Wars + JJ Abrams + the biggest fandom in the Universe is leading to anticipation unmatched in this generation.

So, naturally, I picked up a random piece of Star Wars universe fiction--Lords of the Sith by Paul S. Kemp--and blew through it on a weekend.

And I do mean that I "blew through it." By way of comparison, I started reading Lords of the Sith directly after finishing David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. One does not read Dickens without a serious commitment of time (and that thousand page tomb took me a good month to consume). The dip into Star Wars was a slightly, shall we say, quicker read.

Lords of the Sith is focused on the two Sith we know best: Darth Vader and the Emperor (aka Lord Sidious, but I think we know him better as the Emperor) as seen during an uprising on Ryloth, home of the Twi'leck. Led by Cham Syndulah, the Twi'leck Resistence and the Free Ryloth movement are looking for a way to up the ante against the Empire, to break its hold on Ryloth, and finally be free. When information reaches them that Darth Vader and the Emperor will both be visiting, it's an opportunity too big to pass up.

I didn't expect much going in to the story, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that Kemp manages to take a story about two villains and insert other more naturally sympathetic characters, as well as to add depth, competence, and sympathy to the villains, as well. Although dubious at first, it didn't take long to draw me in.

To be clear, Lords of the Sith fits better in the context of the entire Star Wars saga, especially as it relates to the Skywalkers and the Rebels versus the Empire piece. While there are some novels and stories that could stand alone, Lords is entirely dependent on the greater context to make sense.

If you're a Star Wars fan and looking for a fun piece of the history between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, pick up Lords of the Sith for an interesting and well paced diversion into the relationship between Vader and Sidious. ( )
  publiusdb | Dec 16, 2015 |
One of the things that makes Lords of the Sith by Paul S. Kemp interesting is that it manages to feature two villains as the main characters, and you end up rooting for them both, and dis-liking them both-at the same time. Though I ended up actually having some sympathy for Vader because in the midst of all the battles of this novel the Emperor still insists on challenging Vader every time he has the opportunity. Then he calls it training, insisting that on that old cliche that anything that doesn't kill you must somehow make you stronger.

The basic idea of this book is what if Darth Vader and Palpatine got stuck on a hostile planet with a whole army of freedom fighters trying to kill them and no hope of anyone helping them, and that’s where all this book’s best moments come from. The best moments are almost all full of action. There are space battles, dogfights, ground battles, and tons of Vader and the Emperor showing off their Force and Lightsaber skills. Before this point a huge section of the novel centers on Cham Syndulla,and his group of Twi’lek freedom fighters, and their attempt to blow up a Star Destroyer. Then they try to take out Vader and the Emperor.

After that Vader and The Emperor get separated from their convoy and the rebels led by two forgettable souls descend on the dark lords. After that it’s just them coming up with cool ways to kill rebels while Vader has an internal conflict over the man he was and the monster he has become. The author at this time uses the lulls in the action to explore Vader’s past and remind us how awkward it would be for the two of them to actually spend more than a minute within ten feet of each other. The author also gets inside of Cham’s head; most interesting is Isval, a character who walks the fine line between good and evil. Only Cham’s good influence keeps her from being as bad as Vader and Palpatine.

This was one of the best Star Wars canon books that I have read, but there just wasn’t enough of the two characters that get top billing.

Review by: Brennan Palm
Full Reviews Available at: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

Paul S. Kempprimary authorall editionscalculated
McBride, AaronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jen, Riordan, Roarke, Lady D, and Sloane.
Love you all.
Vader completed his meditation and opened his eyes.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,049,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible