James Herriot's Dog Stories by James Herriot

English (10)  Spanish (1)  All languages (11)
I have been a fan of James Herriot and his writings since I was a teenager, when I first discovered All Creatures Great and Small. This author has a way of taking the ordinary events of each day in the life of a veterinarian, and making them funny, or poignant.

Some of the short stories within this particular collection are old favorites from his previously published works, but all are well worth reading again. There are the funny tales, the sweet touching stories, and the accounts that make you tear up, even though the events were some 70 years ago.

People and dogs are the same now as then, both good and bad, and reading this book should remind you to appreciate the wonderful gift we have in canine companionship. ( )
  fuzzi | Mar 17, 2017 |
Diary of individual dog stories ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 10, 2017 |
If you are a fan of animal stories you really need to read a few James Herriot stories. I have read all that he’s published including a biography about him, penned by his son. Obviously I am a big fan. So much so that we named our son after one of the characters in his series of books. Tristan is a great name and you couldn’t beat a story with Tristan starring in it as a mischievous and entertaining character.

This small book titled Dog Stories focuses only on the canine tales and pets Herriot had pleasure to enjoy. His other books feature all manner of livestock, dogs, cats and birds. Dogs hold a special place in my heart. While I have owned numerous pets (dogs, cats, gerbils, guinea pigs, and the lot) dogs offer a special bond and affection I have not felt with any other pet.

Herriot’s chatty style regarding his clients makes you feel you are reading a letter from family, regaling you of Tricki Woo’s latest exploits of suffering Crack Dog and Flop-Butt. The dog stories are about privileged and spoiled little creatures such as Tricki and those of a vagrant’s dog, each held dear to their owners. You have the added bonus of hearing about the Yorkshire countryside and the trials of being a country veterinarian.

This is the last book in the What’s In a Name book challenge for 2015. It was enjoyable reading this book as it was the other categories in this challenge. ( )
  SquirrelHead | Dec 11, 2015 |
As usual, Herriot never fails. ( )
  dreamingbear | Feb 6, 2014 |
I read this book to my son when he was young; it was one of the most memorable and enjoyable books we read together. One of my favorite memories was of my son literally falling off the couch laughing when we read the story about the cow with "stoppages." Good times. ( )
  labwriter | Jan 17, 2010 |
To my youngest grandchild, Katrina, with love
As I look through the pages of this book I have the impression of a wheel turning full circle.

In the years after the publication of All Creatures Great and Small, James Herriot became the most beloved storyteller of our time. The warm and joyful memoirs of his life as a country vet in England's Yorkshire have endeared him to countless readers around the world. In addition to the succeeding volumes in that series-All Things Bright and Beautiful, All Things Wise and Wonderful, The Lord God Made Them All, and Every Living Thing-his writing has appeared in eight children's books and in the special illustrated volumes James Herriot's Yorkshire and The Best of James Herriot. James Herriot's Cat Stories, with more than a million copies in print, became his most popular hardcover ever. And, in this volume, the kindly animal doctor collects fifty of his tales about his very favorite animal-man's best friend.

Herriot tells us that even at an early age "I was fascinated by dogs...I could never quite take dogs for granted. Why were they so devoted to the human race? Why should they delight in our company and welcome us home in transports of joy? Why should their greatest pleasure lie in being with us in our homes and wherever we were?...As a vet I could be with dogs all the time, attending to them, curing their illnesses, saving their lives." And although-as James Herriot was soon to find out-being a vet in the Yorkshire Dales meant caring for cows, sheep, and horses, with precious little time left over for "small animal" practice, somehow dogs continued to play a large pare in both his personal and his professional life.

Here are the complete dog stories form the first four volumes of his memoirs: a handsome collection of tales (some available nowhere else in America) that will warm the hearts of dog lovers around the world. Featuring a special introduction by the author and his own accompanying notes to each story, and warmly illustrated by Victor Ambrus, this tribute from man to dog is a volume no Herriot fan will want to be without.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:19 -0400)

A collection of his favorite 50 dog tales by the Yorkshire veterinarian.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,908,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible