Slow Hand (Hot Cowboy Nights) by Victoria…

Slow Hand (Hot Cowboy Nights)

by Victoria Vane

I’ve read every historical romance written by this author and let me tell you, she is good. I’ve loved all of them and highly recommend you read them all.

As always, when one of my favorite authors decides to ‘stray’ into the realm of contemporary writing, I’m all ‘aflutter’ and really need a ‘kick in the ass’ to finally read their work. Don’t ask me the ‘reasoning’ behind it as I probably won’t have a ‘reasonable’ explanation for it. I just hate it when they do a ‘switcheroo’ of genres on me. Yeah, yeah, I know what you’ll tell me. They need to ‘broaden’ their horizons, and refresh their writing skills and blah, blah, blah. Maybe. Maybe not. By the way, if I dreaded to read Victoria’s contemporary, you can only imagine how happy I’m going to be reading Grace Burrowes’ next one. One word. Hives. No joke.

This is book one in a three book series, Hot Cowboy Nights and I can honestly say that I liked the writing of ‘Slow Hand’ because Victoria Vane can write emotional and sensual story extremely well and her characters will jump off those pages easily. However, the main characters in this story took awhile to get used to and to like.

I actually warmed up to Wade almost from the start, but boy I had some issues with Nikki. She was just a bit too off-putting, too argumentative and stubborn and not much likable at the start of the story. But then maybe that’s what made the story more realistic? In any case, the more I read of her back story, the better I understood this chick, but I really had a hard time liking her.

What I did like was the way Victoria took her time in introducing me to the life on a Montana ranch. I’ve never been on one, but now I truly wish to go and stay on one.

Listen, if you like fast pacing, sensual romance with hot cowboys, you’ll need to read this story.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the author ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
Characters:
Wade is a lawyer, and a cowboy. Well he would not call himself that, but hey his folks have a ranch, he dresses like one ;)

Nicole does not like cowboys. She used to like them too much, so she had too many bad relationships.

Story.
Nicole comes to settle her father's estate. Wade is the lawyer. He likes her ass (well he does ;) She should not, but who can resist those tempting lips.

Drama:
He is a cowboy, she shouldn't! He has a bit of family issues.

Other characters:
This is their books, but in the background is his brother (now that guy has a chip on his shoulder!) and Nicole's sister. She needs a HEA.

Conclusion:
Lots of passion as sparks fly. Romance and a man that does the chasing. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Well, well, well... Often times I come across writers who can write western romance like nobody's business. They manage to make us dream of the hot cowboy stud, coming to tip his stetson at us, sweep us off our feet, and then start convincing us how great living the life of a rancher's wife can be - in a rather... practical and hands-on way.

Victoria Vane proved to be one of those authors.

But I admit she's the first one to ever write about a cowboy NOT willing to save his family's ranch no matter how much he will roll in debts!

Wade Knowlton is that kind of cowboy. A lawyer with a stetson, he's been hurt by his dead wife too much to seek another woman to settle down. His brother's obsession with their family's ranch is not helping either, when all Wade wants is to sell and be done with it. But when Nicole Powell, whose dead father named her his sole heir, visits Wade's hometown to sort her father's will out, Wade will find himself wishing for things he never thought possible. But what happens when a cowboy pursues a girl who runs for the hills the minute she spots a stetson? And how long till Nikki decides she has to return home, away from Montana's clear air?

While the plot was certainly not original, the characters playing the story out weren't. Sure, we've heard of the woman who hates cowboys and has a bad past with men and her estranged father, but there were parts of Nikki that seemed different from all the heroines falling in these categories. Not that it was because of her personality alone - God no! The woman was annoying to hell! She could never decide what she wanted, she always blamed Wade for acting as she directed him to according to her desires, and she always tried pushing the poor man in the same category as her ex-lovers - to the point where she nearly got mad if Wade didn't behave the way she expected his "type" to! She didn't want him to cheat, but she expected him to tolerate a long-distance relationship because it was emotionally convenient for her. She didn't "want" romance, but she was disappointed in the way Wade treated her when she voiced that - lady, if you tell a man you don't want to be with him, then don't expect anything more than a rough roll in the hay! She hated when he flirted with her and hit on her, but she kept dressing in a way she KNEW would affect him (and hoped for it, too!), and kept following him around instead of leaving him alone. That's like, wiggling your ass in front of a bull and expect not to be stabbed with a horn!

Not to mention, she hated country music - ok, enough said!

What made both Nikki and the whole book interesting, then? Wade! Yup! Wade was a unique kind of cowboy. The kind that wants something more from life than just ranching - without leaving the simple pleasure of a family out. He was sweet, he was flirty, he was funny and hot. He was considerate enough to let Nikki lead their relationship, but he never lost a bit of his Alpha personality. Instead, he calmly tried to make her see the potential of them as an item - too bad the girl is as dumb as they come and couldn't get it... While he was steady in what he wanted, he kept trying to tame his desires for the sake of hers. And heck, his dirty mouth and love-making rituals were something to behold, a true piece of art in words!

Now I'm moving on to his brother's book. Finally! I swear, Dirk is not that bad, he's just antisocial and gruff - just my kind of guy~

***I was given an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinion stated in this review is solely mine, and no compensation was given or taken to alter it.*** ( )
  Lydia_Perversius | Jan 25, 2015 |
I would say this is an Erotic romance. The characters in Slow Hand by Victoria Vane are so good. I had to keep reading whether I wanted to read Erotica or not. When the lovemaking became too hot and heavy, I passed over those places. However, Wade and Nikki's magnetism for one another is impossible to pass over. Let's say I peeked here and there.The novel begins with a Damsel in Distress. She is in Montana because of her father's death. However, Nikki has to halt all business affairs because she loses her license, credit card, every important piece of paper with her.

This is where Wade comes in. Wade is a sexy lawyer. It's impossible not to love him. Golly, he's so polite and sexy.As the magnetism between these two people grows, problems become solved and secrets are revealed. For example, there is a feud between Wade and his brother, Dirk.Also, Nikki needs to make peace with her distant father. I felt so heartbroken when she found all his letters to her stuffed away. The letters were from 1993 to 2005. They were returned to him without her having a chance to see them. The novel is filled with love, forgiveness, problematic relationships and also, a big, big surprise for Nikki. One she didn't expect. Wade is there to help her handle this new set of circumstances.

The novel also shows how difficult it is to make a long distant relationship work. It's like two people pulling a rope in opposite directions. Nikki and Wade love one another, but this is one problem they have to face. It's not going anywhere.I have to say the title of the novel did nothing for me. I liked the guy on the cover, but the book title lacked creativity.

I enjoyed being in Big Sky Country, Montana. The huge emptiness shocks Nikki's sister. She is use to the big city. The mountains are described by the author. I can only imagine the beauty. Victoria Vane has written a Romance about people on journeys of life. These journeys are never easy. These journeys twist and turn. That's the way Victoria Vane has written about them in this novel. Thank you for a courtesy copy from Netgalley and Sourcebooks. victoriavane

sourcebooks ( )
  Tea58 | Dec 1, 2014 |
This was the first book by Victoria Vane and I enjoyed it for the most part. The story involves Wade, a lawyer and part time rancher, and Nikki, who's father's death has brought her to Montana. Each has some baggage that they are trying to deal with and end up turning to each other for comfort. Wade was kinda too much in the beginning. He was putting the moves on his client, which is very unprofessional, but Nikki wasn't exactly offended so what do I know. It was a pretty good story and I'll probably read the next book in the series.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. ( )
  amdrane2 | Nov 5, 2014 |

Wade Knowlton is a hardworking lawyer who's torn between his small-town Montana law practice and a struggling family ranch. He's on the brink of exhaustion from trying to save everybody and everything, when gorgeous Nicole Powell walks into his office. She's a damsel in distress and the breath of fresh air he needs. Nicole Powell is a sassy Southern girl who has officially sworn off cowboys after a spate of bad seeds-until her father's death sends her to Montana and into the arms of a man who seems too good to be true. Her instincts tell her to high tail it out of Montana, but she can't resist a cowboy with a slow hand...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,634,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible