Maya & Filippo Visit a Glacier by Alinka…

Maya & Filippo Visit a Glacier

by Alinka Rutkowska

431,664,912 (4.67)None
Recently added bydatrappert, Ermina, skstiles612, jbarr5

This book will make you want to head to Juneau for lunch. And it evens finds an upside to global warming. Colorful illustrations are not the most artistic, but they achieve their intended effect. ( )
  datrappert | Mar 26, 2016 |
I received a copy to facilitate my review. The opinions expressed here are my own.
On this trip aboard their parent’s cruise ship The Fun Princess, Maya and Filippo visit Juno, Alaska. Their tour guide takes them to see a glacier and tells them that a glacier is a river of ice. Filippo was concerned when he learned that the ice was melting due to climate change. The guide told him it would create new places for fish and animals to live.
Next the guide talks to the about bears. They get to see a mama bear and her cubs and learn that they hibernate in the winter and then in the spring they wake up. There is plenty of salmon for them to eat.
The kids learn about a plant called fireweed. In the spring flowers bloom at the bottom of the stem and work their way up. When they turn white like cotton then winter is almost here.
They get the opportunity to refresh their feet in the cold water at the base of a waterfall. They eat lunch that Maya wins when she opens the door and is declared their 1000th winner. They really enjoy their tour.
What I enjoy about this book is the amount of information in the story itself. I also enjoy the extra material the author includes at the end of each book to give you additional information. This is a simple and fun way to learn about new places. ( )
  skstiles612 | Jan 7, 2015 |
Maya & Filippo Visit a Glacier by Alinka Rutkowska
Have read one of the author's other books and thoroughly enjoyed it as an educational adventure and knew this one, which I do not know much about would prove to be more of the same.
I have seen pictures of glaciers on shows and in movies but they don't go into the why and how questions. Young children would eat this up for sure.
Explained in detail with very colorful pictures and words that are easy to understand makes this another enjoyable trip for the whole family-without leaving your house.
Glaciers are not around here in the northeast and I love learning about new things.
This trip we find the whole family along and the children are given a tour of the glacier and things are explained to them.
Love how they are able to tell the season by the fireweed flower. So much useful information about bears and salmon also.
Many other books to explore along with Maya & Filippo. Other educational information is at the end of the book along with a quiz so pay attention.
Others works by the author are highlighted at the end of the book.
I received this book from the author in exchange for my honest review via a contest I entered. ( )
  jbarr5 | Aug 1, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 149756266X, Paperback)

”Maya & Filippo Visit a Glacier” is a fine example of educational adventure-writing for children and is highly recommended.

Rating: 5.0 stars from Readers’ Favorite Reviews.

Embark on an exciting adventure with Maya and Filippo as they travel around the globe on board the Fun Princess, a cruise ship full of surprises. Discover their fascinating ports of call, join them in activities at sea and explore the remarkable world they create for themselves through their thoughts and feelings.

The ship takes the kids to Juneau. Maya and Filippo see Mendenhall Glacier and learn about melting ice, bears, fish and flowers. They discover how feeling grateful brings wonderful things into their lives and they are in for a big surprise!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:58 -0400)

Alinka Rutkowska is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,291,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible