The Book with No Pictures by B. J. Novak

The Book with No Pictures (2014)

by B. J. Novak

The Book About Nothing by Mike Bender (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: Two humorous books that show how sometimes the lack of something can be the funniest outcome.

English (137)  Spanish (1)  All languages (138)
This is a five star book. Not because it is brilliant writing, or because it is beautifully illustrated. In fact, it is NOT illustrated and that is the point of the book. This book talks directly to the readers. It is funny and irreverent and sets the reader up to sound absolutely silly. The kids will ask me to read this book to them over and over again. They do not get tired of it. They LIKE to hear a teacher say "monkey butt," and the squeal with laughter. There is a "warning" on the back, and the kids can't even stand it, "don't read the warning," they say. "What Warning?" And I just start reading the book. It is campy. It is cheesy. And the kids love it. ( )
  BethBE | Jul 15, 2019 |
Is a book with no pictures considered a picture book? I would have to say YES, for so many reasons! While there are no actual pictures, there IS many different fonts, colors, and SOUND EFFECTS. Not to mention the changes in your face if you follow the rules of the book! The conversations and laughter this book produces is magical. This will be my first read aloud on the first day of school as the new librarian! I can't wait! ( )
  KariMiller | Jul 4, 2019 |
I read this in target and made my mom buy it! It was hilarious, this is the book you read to a child that says they hate reading. Its a book for all ages but used for breaks more than a lesson. Throughout the book it makes the reader say the weirdest of things, but it's so great. ( )
  Payton02 | May 2, 2019 |
Actor and screenwriter B.J. Novak made his children's book debut with this 2014 title, which (as its name suggests) has no pictures. What it does have is an amusing and clever text, one which emphasizes the fun to be had in non-illustrated books, books that "only" have text. The premise here is that the reader, presumably reading aloud to children, must say everything written in the book, which leads to plenty of humorous situations in which an adult is forced (against his or her objections) to say silly things, and to make funny noises. Whatever is written has to be read, because those are the rules...

Having seen The Book with No Pictures read to great effect at multiple story-times, I can attest to the fact that its silly sense of humor is very appealing to young children, who will get lots of giggles out of watching the reader "struggle" with the story, objecting to the things he is being made to say. On a deeper level, it can be said to offer children an encouragement, when it comes to approaching less profusely illustrated texts, as they progress as listeners and readers themselves. It also taps into the child's perspective, when learning to read, that everything on the page must be read, something that is often quite true, when reading is something one is learning for the first time. Although there are no pictures here, we shelve this in the picture-book section at work (and I have listed it on that shelf, here on the site), since we don't really have a "non-picture-books for picture-book readers" shelf. Recommended to young children who enjoy stories with a silly sense of humor. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Mar 28, 2019 |
"The Book with No Pictures" is a book that is as fun to read as it is to listen to. This book is exactly what it says, a children's book with no pictures. What makes it so fun to read is that most of the words are silly and you have to say them because they are in the book. My class erupted with laughter at each page. It was so much fun to see them engaged and excited about a book. I feel this books is really about that, it helps children to understand that reading can just be plain fun. ( )
  lsiben | Mar 27, 2019 |
This is a book with no pictures.

This innovative and wildly funny read-aloud by award-winning humorist/actor B.J. Novak will turn any reader into a comedian.

You might think a book with no pictures seems boring and serious. Except . . . here’s how books work. Everything written on the page has to be said by the person reading it aloud. Even if the words say . . .

BLORK. Or BLUURF.

Even if the words are a preposterous song about eating ants for breakfast, or just a list of astonishingly goofy sounds like BLAGGITY BLAGGITY and GLIBBITY GLOBBITY.

Cleverly irreverent and irresistibly silly, The Book with No Pictures is one that kids will beg to hear again and again. (And parents will be happy to oblige.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:40 -0400)

"In this book with no pictures, the reader has to say every silly word, no matter what"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,425,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible