Daddy Calls Me Man (Richard Jackson Books…

Daddy Calls Me Man (Richard Jackson Books (Orchard)) (edition 2000)

by Angela Johnson (Author)

Inspired by his family experiences and his father's paintings, a young boy creates four poems.
Member:harmanelaine
Title:Daddy Calls Me Man (Richard Jackson Books (Orchard))
Authors:Angela Johnson (Author)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2000), 32 pages

Daddy Calls Me Man (Richard Jackson Books (Orchard)) by Angela Johnson

From this young boys perspective, he is the younger brother, older brother, sweetheart, and a man. He talks of these as playing and twisting and then becoming calm and sharing his character develops as he matures when the baby comes around. He loved being called a sweetheart and a man by his parents it gave him a heartwarming feeling. The illustrations were detailed specifically the baby smiling at him the facial features were painted very well. The boy uses rhyming words when telling his story and this book can be used to teach that. ( )
  mprochnow | Sep 8, 2018 |
Another simple, relatable and adorable book by Angela Johnson. The little boy in the story is inspired to write four different shorts poems about his family and his role in his family. He is an older brother, younger brother and a son. The little boy cherishes the fact that his Daddy calls him 'man'. The story is relatable to children of all ages that have siblings or parents that they love. This is an easy and fun read since it is written in poem style and each line rhymes. I would recommend this book for students ages 4-6! ( )
  Jmader2 | Apr 7, 2017 |
Daddy Calls Me Man
This was a pretty nice book that was composed of poems to make a small story. The pictures in this book are very elegant and each page is almost like a decadent painting! I enjoyed looking at the pictures that corresponded to the poem. My favorite was the illustration of the night sky during the poem titled “Noah’s Moon” because it really helped me visualize the poem in my head while it was being talked about. The one thing I did not like about the book was that I felt as if the poems were not complete. To me, it felt as if the poems were too short and didn’t completely tell of a story or bring together the story well. They were also very scattered in terms of story. For example one poem is talking about how he loves his and his dad’s shoes lined up next to each other, then it goes to the night sky, and then to the fact that he has a new born sister. To me it was hard to stay with sequential wise and felt out of sorts. ( )
  JaylenWhite | Oct 19, 2015 |
This is a story that is composed of four different poems written from a young boys perspectives. The young boy is described as four different people. He is called a little brother, a big brother, a sweetheart, and a man. His dad referring to him as a man is very important to him. I could use this book when teaching my students about poetry and rhyming words. All four of them poems have rhyming throughout them. I was not expecting this story to be composed of poems. I was expecting it to be about a father and a son. ( )
  jpons | Sep 7, 2014 |
This book is broke up into four different poems all from this little boys perspective about things he thinks about, and are happening in his life. It is a very sweet story. I would share this story with toddlers to third grade. ( )
  SamanthaMulkey | Apr 24, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,545,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible