Funny Girl: A Novel by Nick Hornby

Funny Girl: A Novel (original 2015; edition 2016)

by Nick Hornby (Author)

Member:EdgarsBooks
Title:Funny Girl: A Novel
Authors:Nick Hornby (Author)
Info:Riverhead Books (2016), Edition: Reprint, 480 pages

Funny Girl by Nick Hornby (2015)

English (48)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (51)
I enjoyed this so much. Admittedly, the early days of television in the UK is not something I know much about; also, I know very little about the American days as well. But what I do know about is the subject matter from the song "As Time Goes By:" The fundamental story, a fight for love and glory, a case of do or die..." and in this regard, this novel shines! Set in the swinging London of the mid-60's, there is added enjoyment when real life luminaries -- the Yardbirds Keith Relf, Lucille Ball, Harold Wilson, etc -- walk on to the pages...this would be a great summer read! (written on the first day of summer!). ( )
  tennisfan2 | Jun 21, 2019 |
I hadn't read a Hornby novel for a decade. I have kept up with his screenplays and his columns in The Believer, but I thought I was done with his novels. This was light and breezy with an extended and unnecessary coda, but it was also comfortingly small-screen both literally and figuratively. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
This was a quick and enjoyable read, but I was surprised and disappointed that we never get to see Sophie in action as a comedian. We're told that she and her show are funny, but never get to experience it ourselves. Strange, since Hornby is a funny writer - especially with dialogue. It read more like a screenplay than a novel for me. And it would make a great movie - as long as they don't get a skinny actor to play Sophie - what a disappointment that would be. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
Engaging story, perfectly told. ( )
  BridgitDavis | Mar 16, 2018 |
Nick Hornby is one of those authors whose new books automatically get fast-tracked through my to-read list. And this one came out and I didn't realize it even existed for months! So it's like a surprise bonus Hornby book.

This one really lands right in my wheelhouse, with the interesting, multi-faceted young woman protagonist, characters who are writers and actors, multiple narrators, very specific and therefore believable and resonant characters, and oh yes the SWINGING LONDON 1960s SETTING.

Basically, it's great. I read it as an audiobook, and the narration is also lovely. Super recommend!! ( )
  annhepburn | Mar 4, 2018 |

Herzke, IngoÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meister, TobiasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piraccini, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van de Wardt, Roossecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Amanda, with love and gratitude, as ever. And for Roger Gillett and Georgia Garrett.
She didn't want to be a beauty queen, but as luck would have it, she was about to become one.
Bill was extremely careful. He always made sure that he knew the Test score, and that he dressed badly, and sometimes he made careful reference to girls. But then, he was afraid, like a lot of men in his position. He was always one mistake away from prison.

"From the bestselling author of High Fidelity, About a Boy, and A Long Way Down comes a highly anticipated new novel. Set in 1960's London, Funny Girl is a lively account of the adventures of the intrepid young Sophie Straw as she navigates her transformation from provincial ingenue to television starlet amid a constellation of delightful characters. Insightful and humorous, Nick Hornby's latest does what he does best: endears us to a cast of characters who are funny if flawed, and forces us to examine ourselves in the process. "--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,439,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible