The Happiness of Pursuit: Finding the Quest…

The Happiness of Pursuit: Finding the Quest That Will Bring Purpose to…

by Chris Guillebeau

I think I was awed at the people who were mentioned in this book. The writing was a bit jagged, going from here to there in a rather unwieldy manner. But Chris Guillebeau left me with a lot to think about. What is my quest? What do I find meaning with it? ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
I've been following Chris Guillebeau for a while now so I was excited when I got the opportunity to read his new book. Additionally, the topic of it was something that I personally relate to and am excited about.

As with some of his other books, Chris uses case studies to explain the concepts and to share what others are doing. He uses the word "quest" to describe the challenges people set for themselves. From his own quest to visit every country in the world, to the woman from Tasmania who lived in a tree for over a year to protest illegal logging, or the man who walked across the United States. Everyone he interviews and talks about has set out to do something amazing. He gives notes on how to find your own quest and backs them up with stories of others. But, he notes, you don't have to pack up your life and travel long distances to do something amazing. It can be done in one's own home, from the woman who decided to make a meal specific to every country, to the man who set out to learn the four-year MIT curriculum in a single year. It's merely a matter of challenging yourself and doing something crazy for the joy of it.

Unfortunately, the book fell flat for me, as his other books have done before. I cannot pin point it but it just feels like there is something missing. In theory, I should love it. It has all the aspects I love - stories of people doing awesome things and steps to apply the things they've learned to my own life. I wish I was as excited after reading this book as I was before I started. It was still worthwhile to read, don't get me wrong, I just hoped to find a little more within its pages.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for an honest review.* ( )
  K3ndra28 | Nov 15, 2016 |
An excellent book that will inspire even the most uninspired! It's worth reading just see what others do with their time and the many possibilities. ( )
  MathMaverick | Jan 20, 2016 |
I wish I could simultaneously give this book two stars and four stars. Two stars because Guillebeau mostly just interviews several people who have done extraordinary things and a large part of his book is playing back some of the more interesting responses.

But I'd also give four stars because the book does provide some motivational kick. Guillebeau has visited all or almost all of the countries in the world, for example, and writes about tackling new things in a way that resonated with me. I enjoy trying new things in 30 day challenges, and Guillebeau's book struck a chord from that angle.

The book is not quite self-help, and doesn't provide super-deep psychological insights. But as guilty pleasures go, it *does* encourage you to go out and make a dent in the universe, and that's better than staying at home and watching another episode of Bones on TV.

If you are looking for deep psychological insights, I'd go with The Power of Habit. If you're trying to effect gradual, sustainable change in a large organization, I'd go with Nudge. But if you're looking for a quick lift so you can go tackle that new adventure or project, you could do worse than The Happiness of Pursuit. ( )
  mattcutts | Oct 8, 2015 |
The Happiness of Pursuit takes us on a journey. It takes us on its author’s traveling adventures, the endeavors of normal individuals taking big risks, and motivates its readers to start passionately pursuing dangerous new possibilities.

Every once in a while a book comes along that motivates us to embrace life and then there are those special books that reminds us that we are doing matters and encourages us not to give up. Chris Guillebeau’s new book does both! For me personally, the book was a reassurance that my recent quest of blogging and writing my first book is exactly what I should be pursuing. My favorite quotes include:

Find what troubles you about the world, then fix it for the rest of us.

The middle of the quest can be the hardest part. Don’t give up too soon!

Cuillebeau’s inspiring words reminded me that the quest I took on to encourage Christian boys and men (in the midst of cultural or Christian masculinity stereotypes) is a worthy pursuit. They must hear from someone that they are NOT a male fail. I also can’t give up when it starts getting hard. The pursuit is worth the hard work, criticism, and sacrifice and part of the blessing is the journey itself. It is the risky that makes it an adventure and with no adventure, you truly aren’t living!

If you feel like your life is stuck and taking you nowhere, this book is for you. If you want a guidebook to help you figure out who you are and what to do with your passions, I highly recommend this book. OR, if you are like me and you recently took on something big and risky and you are wondering if you need to keep pursuing, wait no longer and grab a copy today. Blogging for Books provided this book to me for free in exchange for an honest review.

"There’s a mission out there that is greater than yourself." ( )
  Steve_Hinkle | Nov 4, 2014 |

A remarkable book that will both guide and inspire, The Happiness of Pursuit reveals how anyone can bring meaning into their life by undertaking a quest.

When he set out to visit all of the planet’s countries by age thirty-five, compulsive goal seeker Chris Guillebeau never imagined that his journey’s biggest revelation would be how many people like himself exist – each pursuing a challenging quest.  And, interestingly, these quests aren’t just travel-oriented.  On the contrary, they’re as diverse as humanity itself.  Some involve exploration; others the pursuit of athletic or artistic excellence; still others a battle against injustice or poverty or threats to the environment.

Everywhere that Chris visited he found ordinary people working toward extraordinary goals, making daily down payments on their dream.  These “questers” included a suburban mom pursuing a wildly ambitious culinary project, a DJ producing the world’s largest symphony, a young widower completing the tasks his wife would never accomplish, and a teenager crossing an entire ocean alone - as well as a do-it-yourselfer tackling M.I.T.’s computer-science course, a nerd turning himself into real-life James Bond, and scores of others writing themselves into the record books.

The more Chris spoke with these strivers, the more he began to appreciate the direct link between questing and long-term happiness -- how going after something in a methodical way enriches our lives -- and he was compelled to complete a comprehensive study of the phenomenon and extract the best advice.  In The Happiness of Pursuit he draws on interviews with hundreds of questers, revealing their secret motivations, their selection criteria, the role played by friends and family, their tricks for solving logistics, and the importance of documentation.

Equally fascinating is Chris’ examination of questing’s other side, including questers’ acute awareness of mortality, their struggle against monotony, and their wistful feelings once a quest has succeeded. What happens after the summit is climbed, the painting hung, the endurance record broken, the “at risk” community saved?

A book that challenges each of us to take control – to make our lives be about something while at the same time remaining clear-eyed about the commitment -- The Happiness of Pursuit will inspire readers of every age and aspiration.  It’s a playbook for making your life count.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:45 -0400)

A book that challenges each of us to take control--to make our lives be about something while at the same time remaining clear-eyed about the commitment--The Happiness of Pursuit will inspire readers of every age and aspiration. It's a playbook for making your life count.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,385,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible