Worn Stories by Emily Spivack

Worn Stories

by Emily Spivack

Everyone has a piece of clothing hanging in a closet or folded away in a drawer that has so much sentimental value, it is impossible to discard, despite the stains or holes. This clever idea of documenting the stories of such clothing began as a side project in 2010. For the book, the author pairs each short essay with a stark photograph of each item of clothing. Some of the essays are from famous fashion designers and chefs, others from non-celebrities, but all are fascinating. This is a quick read that I enjoyed while sitting outside on a sunny day, clad in my own worn sweatshirt, which is full of memories.

Kathleen K. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Worn Stories by Emily Spivack captures the idea that objects - in this case, clothing - hold memories. The book seeks to preserve these memories, one piece of clothing at a time. The book has about 70 essays from an eclectic group of individuals who each tell their stories. Some may strike a chord, and some may seem ordinary. Either way, the truth holds. We all have such stories of our lives in our closets. What is yours?

Read me complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2014/11/worn-stories.html ( )
  njmom3 | Nov 22, 2014 |
I loved this book! So many different voices, each telling us about an article of clothing that's extra-meaningful to them, and why.

The essays range from funny to nostalgic to sad, with a lot of nuances. All of the writing is excellent, and each tale is accompanied by an elegant photograph of the clothing piece discussed. This gives the book a very clean, yet immediate, tone.

The production values of the book itself live up to the elegant prose and photos. It's really a joy to read!

I am proud that my daughter is one of the authors therein, especially since I doubt I would have heard of this book without that connection, and it's really good.

Highly recommended if you like thoughtful, personal essays. ( )
  cissa | Sep 4, 2014 |

"Everyone has a memoir in miniature in at least one piece of clothing. In Worn Stories, Emily Spivack has collected over sixty of these clothing-inspired narratives from cultural figures and talented storytellers. First-person accounts range from the everyday to the extraordinary, such as artist Marina Abramovic on the boots she wore to walk the Great Wall of China; musician Rosanne Cash on the purple shirt that belonged to her father; and fashion designer Cynthia Rowley on the Girl Scout sash that informed her business acumen. Other contributors include Greta Gerwig, Heidi Julavits, John Hodgman, Brandi Chastain, Marcus Samuelsson, Piper Kerman, Maira Kalman, Sasha Frere-Jones, Simon Doonan, Albert Maysles, Susan Orlean, Andy Spade, Paola Antonelli, David Carr, Andrew Kuo, and more. By turns funny, tragic, poignant, and celebratory, Worn Stories offers a revealing look at the clothes that protect us, serve as a uniform, assert our identity, or bring back the past--clothes that are encoded with the stories of our lives"-- "WORN STORIES will assemble a unique anthology of clothing-inspired personal narratives from people of all stripes, including David Carr on his misprinted I Love NY t-shirt, Cynthia Rowley on her girl scout sash, Rosanne Cash on her father Johnny's (atypically) purple shirt that she keeps in her closet, and Jonathan Levine (director of 50/50 and The Wackness) on his once-lucky Latrell Sprewell Knicks Jersey. The included stories will not only offer stirring, humorous and heartfelt glimpses into someone else's life, but will also prompt readers to give a second thought to the way they consider clothing in their own lives"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,368,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible