Precious and the Mystery of the Missing Lion…

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Like the other two in the series, this book provides a positive message and an exciting mystery for middle readers. It details life in Africa as well as provides a perspective on a different culture.

I would include all three books in this series in a school curriculum. I would round out a unit about Africa and what its like to live there, with this book. ( )
  HeatherRanalli | Feb 25, 2016 |
This. Series of books was recommended because they were set in Botswana. It is a good very young adult book, however, I cannot see anymore on my reading radar. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
Great partner read for The One and Only Ivan along with Ivan: The Remarkable True Story of the Shopping Mall Gorilla ( )
  CommunityLibrarian | Nov 27, 2015 |
Almost as sweet as the adult ones. I loved when Precious said that something was "well-known." The illustrations are nice, too, with kind of a retro feel. ( )
  4hounds | Jan 1, 2015 |
Alexander McCall Smith has turned to the childhood of his delightful protagonist, Precious Ramotswe, to create a new children's book, Precious and the Mystery of the Missing Lion. This delightful children's story recalls the exciting week when eight year old Precious gets to go stay with her aunt, who works at a safari camp on the river. The illustrations are classic woodcuts with splashes of color which help visualize the story on every page.

Precious is already good at paying attention to details, and it pays off when a tame lion goes missing. The lion is actually an animal actor who comes along with a film crew, and Precious and her new friend Khumo actually get to help with some of the filming. Precious and Khumo are nearly as upset as the film crew when they wake up one morning to realize Timmy the lion has escaped!

After the grown ups give up looking, Precious and Khumo offer to take the canoe down the river in search of Timmy. Aunt Bee warns them about the dangers of the river and the children promise to be very careful.

Will they be able to find Timmy? Does Timmy want to be found? Even as an eight year old Precious is showing signs of the wisdom and cleverness that will stand her in good stead as owner of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency in Botswana.

This book will be fun to read to young children, and the older children will love reading it themselves. The suggested age range is 7-10 years.
I received a digital copy from edelweiss for review. ( )
  vcg610 | Aug 1, 2014 |

Staying with Aunty Bee at a safari camp in the Botswana countryside where a film crew is making a movie about a lion, nine-year-old Precious Ramotswe and her resourceful new friend Khumo use their detective skills to find the movie star lion when he goes missing.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,735,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible